Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check which of the Following Players, you feel were great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Have our newcomers seen this poll?

Leave a comment:

• janduscframe
    replied
    Rod Carew just got a vote. How soon a player disappears from mind. Not the greatest glove, but what he did on the bases and at bat. Does he have a record for bunt hits in a season?

Leave a comment:

• BSmile
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    "There is one word in America that says it all -
    you never know." - Joaquin Andujar

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
    All of us have been asking ourselves those very questions for a long time now. We just haven't found any answers yet.
    But hope springs eternal. Maybe someday, one of us will discover a quote to explain those frustrating, unexplained questions.
    "There is one word in America that says it all -
    you never know." - Joaquin Andujar

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    All of us have been asking ourselves those very questions for a long time now. We just haven't found any answers yet.
    But hope springs eternal. Maybe someday, one of us will discover a quote to explain those frustrating, unexplained questions.

Leave a comment:

• Beady
    replied
    Why did Ewing's career peter out as it did? I know he hurt his arm, but basically he was simply paralleling the career of the first great catcher, Deacon White, who like Ewing caught until he was about thirty, as long as any man could under the tough conditions catchers were subjected to. White went on to an entire new career, another decade as a regular in a second career that began after he was 30, and he made such a mark that most people now actually think of him as a third baseman, although he had certainly been a more valuable and more important player as a catcher.

I am too big a Deacon White fan ever to admit Ewing was his equal, but Ewing was certainly not chopped liver. Ewing was a great catcher who caught about as long and about as much as almost anybody could stand in the days before the big pillow mitts came in (and it was his misfortune to injure his arm just when those mitts were coming into use). He was also an outstanding hitter, though, and an excellent base runner, and he continued playing well in those departments, when he did play, in the '90's. He was never a slow, immobile catcher. if Deacon White had a second career as a third baseman, then why didn't Ewing go on to a new life as a regular first baseman? Was his arm so bad that even that was too much for him?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Looking for more votes.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    There were no criteria. Everyone applies their own values, per what they believe greatness to be.

Leave a comment:

• Minstrel
    replied
    Reggie Jackson
    Joe Morgan
    Harmon Killebrew
    Willie Stargell
    Oscar Charleston
    John Lloyd
    Jackie Robinson
    Arky Vaughan

Leave a comment:

• AutographCollector
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
    Has everyone voted on this that wants to? Has anyone seen this in months?
    Bill,
    I just made my selections. However, I am baffled on why Robinson is currently #1.

Leave a comment:

• Proctor, CF
    replied
    How are Pop Lloyd and Oscar Charleston only about half as great as Jackie Robinson? What's the criteria here?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Has everyone voted on this that wants to? Has anyone seen this in months?

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST
    replied
    Okay, I voted. A little surprised that Arky Vaughn is not getting more love.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    Stuffing the ballot box again, Jeff?
    Vote early, and OFTEN

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    Could you add Hartnett & Dickey votes for me (we need a DUH! smilie
    Stuffing the ballot box again, Jeff?