Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Ballplayers who never had a 100 walk season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Ballplayers who never had a 100 walk season?

The "DiMaggio's best season" thread got me thinking. Who are the greatest ballplayers who never drew 100 walks in a season? I suspect such a list would be dominated by Dead Ballers? Discuss!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

My first guess would be Hank Aaron who never reached 100 over 23 years.

EDIT: Frank Robinson was pretty good as well. I think the list will be longer than one might think.
    Last edited by Ben Grimm; 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Ty Cobb 1911 or Hornsby in 1922 or '24 or '25.

Maybe even a Willie Mays season.
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
        Ty Cobb 1911 or Hornsby in 1922 or '24 or '25.

Maybe even a Willie Mays season.
        Very true, but I think he's talking about over a full career... though I could be wrong.
        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Goerge Sisler probably coulda walked alot more if he had played in a different era.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Just to clarify. My question is who are the greatest ballpayers who never had even one 100 walk season? Ty Cobb is disqualified since he had 118 walks in 1915.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I will leave out the Deadball era since there are a lot of good choices there.

Right now, Chuck Klein comes to mind.

Comment

I'm sure someone will search engine this soon and take all the fun out of it.

100 walks actually is a pretty high threshhold. I'm confident that there are many outstanding hitters who have never had a 100 walk season. In addition to thosae already mentioned, here are some more that I know of without looking them up.

Ernie Banks
                Yogi Berra
                Roberto Clemente
                Rod Carew
                Tony Gwynn
                Andre Dawson
                Ken Griffey Jr.
                Al Kaline
                Billy Williams

There are plenty more- some of it depends on your definition of great, but there's no shortage of outstandsing hitters who never reached 100.

Comment

Almost all of the great catchers. Catchers don't typically draw lots of walks.

Mike Piazza
                  Yogi Berra
                  Gary Carter
                  Carlton Fisk
                  Roy Campanella
                  Gabby Hartnett
                  Ernie Lombardi
                  Bill Dickey
                  Pudge Rodriguez

Mickey Cochrane and Johnny Bench are the only two HOF catchers who got 100 BB. It's very rare.

Comment

I know Ichiro Suzuki doesn't walk much at all. I'll take Suzuki for today's players.

Comment

Paul Konerko may not be a alltime great but he never had 100 walks in a season.
                      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post

Yogi Berra
                        Getting Yogi to take a walk was almost as tough as striking him out!

Comment

Here's some more off the top of my head:

Tris Speaker (I had to look him up to be sure)
                          Harry Heilmann
                          Bill Terry
                          George Sisler
                          Al Simmons

Comment

Forgot to add Honus Wagner.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                              Forgot to add Honus Wagner.
                              And Lajoie.
                              "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
                              -Satchel Paige

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X