Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last non-perfect no-hitter pitcher to face the minimum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last non-perfect no-hitter pitcher to face the minimum?

Just curious as to who the last pitcher to throw a non-perfect game no-hitter to face the minimum (i.e. 27 batters faced). This of course could be achieved if a batter walks or reaches on an error but is then erased on a double play.

I'm sure it's happened previously sometime in baseball history, but how long ago was it that a pitcher achieved this feat?

Verlander last year did it. Walked one, but faced 27 (eliminated in double play)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...01105070.shtml
    Last edited by redban; 07-16-2012, 07:11 PM.

Comment

The only one that comes to mind is the Babe Ruth-Ernie Shore "perfect" game on June 23, 1917. Ruth was ejected after he walked the leadoff batter. Shore came in to replace Ruth. The base runner was thrown out attempting to steal. Shore then retired the next 26 batters.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Mark Buehrle in 2007 vs. Texas. Walked Sammy Sosa in the fourth inning, then picked him off first. Nobody else reached base.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Thanks all. Didn't know it had been done so recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
            The only one that comes to mind is the Babe Ruth-Ernie Shore "perfect" game on June 23, 1917. Ruth was ejected after he walked the leadoff batter. Shore came in to replace Ruth. The base runner was thrown out attempting to steal. Shore then retired the next 26 batters.
            Was Shore credited with a perfect game by historians? Or at least a no-hitter?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
              I believe by current MLB rules this is considered a combined no-hitter.
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                No, not a complete game. But his position is secure as the only pluperfect game pitcher.

(edit: Honus posted the more complete answer while I was writing this.)
                Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X