Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Trout '12-Greatest season by a leadoff hitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Trout '12-Greatest season by a leadoff hitter?

How does this year stack up to other great leadoff seasons? Let's say a player needs to lead off in half of his team's games to qualify.

Statistically I noticed that he may have the second most WAR per game in history for a position player (qualifying plate appearances). His current rate is 13.8 per 162. Ruth '23 scored 14.6 per 154 but that's the only season I see with a higher rate.

Also, how did this guy do before hitting the majors? Looks like he played only part of a season in the minors. Do we have any minor league stats, where was he drafted, what about his highschool performance?

Could be the greatest leadoff, and rookie season and best ever by a 20 year old.
    Last edited by brett; 08-16-2012, 06:20 AM.

Originally posted by brett View Post
    Also, how did this guy do before hitting the majors? Looks like he played only part of a season in the minors. Do we have any minor league stats, where was he drafted, what about his highschool performance?
    Minor league stats:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=trout-001mik

Comment

Rickey was obviously first to come to mind. I suppose that some of Rickey's seasons come close to Trout's in terms of best-ever by a leadoff hitter. 1980, 1985, and 1990 were probably his best seasons all-around.

Ichiro's 2001 and 2004 seasons were phenomenal as well.

Right now, though, Trout's is likely the best season ever for a leadoff hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by ipitch View Post
        Did he drop out of highschool? or graduate at 17? How does an 18 year old play 100+ games in the minors?

Comment

I think we all need to collectively slow our roll in terms of Mike Trout.

Greatest season ever by a leadoff hitter? Seriously? Ain't it kinda early to be calling that, after 95 games? Didn't Ty Cobb bat lead off in many years?

Rickey Henderson in 1990 was better than what Trout's projected numbers would be, especially in OBP (.439 to .403), OPS+ (189 to 180), OPS (1.016 to .998) and Stolen Bases (Rickey stole 65 that year, Trout is on pace for 52). Trout is on pace for 30 HR's, Rickey hit 28 that year. Trout is on pace for 130 games this year, Rickey played 136 that year.

Rickey also hit .333 in the World Series that year with an OPS over 1.000, so lets just wait and see how Trout does the rest of the way (his batting average is going down, he's hitting .268 in August) and how Trout plays under the pressure of the postseason. Its an incredible rookie year but lets see how this plays out

Comment

Alot of people forget that Wade Boggs batted lead-off many times. In 1988 he batted lead-off well over half the time and hit .366 with a .476 OBP!

Comment

Originally posted by 3and2Fastball View Post
              I think we all need to collectively slow our roll in terms of Mike Trout.

Greatest season ever by a leadoff hitter? Seriously? Ain't it kinda early to be calling that, after 95 games? Didn't Ty Cobb bat lead off in many years?

Rickey Henderson in 1990 was better than what Trout's projected numbers would be, especially in OBP (.439 to .403), OPS+ (189 to 180), OPS (1.016 to .998) and Stolen Bases (Rickey stole 65 that year, Trout is on pace for 52). Trout is on pace for 30 HR's, Rickey hit 28 that year. Trout is on pace for 130 games this year, Rickey played 136 that year.

Rickey also hit .333 in the World Series that year with an OPS over 1.000, so lets just wait and see how Trout does the rest of the way (his batting average is going down, he's hitting .268 in August) and how Trout plays under the pressure of the postseason. Its an incredible rookie year but lets see how this plays out

I think that Cobb rarely batted leadoff. Trout has played the whole year in centerfield and probably at a gold glove level which Rickey did not do in 1990 so it may depend on whether we mean the best season by a leadoff hitter, or the best season AS a leadoff hitter while hitting. Trout had fewer steals at 38 but he's only got 3 CS compared to 65 and 10 for Henderson which makes their value in steal attempts virtually equal at this point. Still, in terms of WAR Trout still needs 1.7 war in a little over 40 games to pass Henderson's 9.8 and that would be over a 6 war pace/162 for the remainder of the season.

Comment

After this season will Trout be a leadoff hitter for much longer? He seems more like a 3-4-5 hitter to me.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I would think he would stay in the leadoffspot with Trumbal and Pujols in the lineup. I think Trout is the real deal too, although I still think Henderson or Raines have probably had better seasons. I think Trout will be a better hitter in the future while getting on base as much as both those guys.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Alot of people forget that Wade Boggs batted lead-off many times. In 1988 he batted lead-off well over half the time and hit .366 with a .476 OBP!
                    I thought for sure you would bring up Cool Papa Bell.
                    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I can't think of a better all-around player that batted leadoff in MLB history; at least not as a first or 2nd year player. I'm very impressed with Trout. I think he's easily the leading candidate for MVP this year. The weakest part of his game is his arm, which is only high-average. The rest of his game is absolutely amazing(baserunning, hitting for average, power, range). He's very fun to watch. he reminds me of Barry Bonds in the early 1990s, except that he plays centerfield. I'd like to see him bat later in the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
                        I thought for sure you would bring up Cool Papa Bell.
                        Bell was awesome but didn't play in an intergrated league like Trout or Henderson .... on a serious note, I don't think Bell walked a whole lot, so I would rank him below Henderson

Comment

So far, Trout appears to be a modern day Ty Cobb to me, only with more power.

Comment

Bell was awesome but didn't play in an intergrated league like Trout or Henderson .... on a serious note, I don't think Bell walked a whole lot, so I would rank him below Henderson
                            I always liked Bell too, I never knew about his walk total being low.

I was looking at Trouts stats and he could end up with 100 rbis 30 homeruns close to 200 hits 120+ runs over 50 stolenbases while hitting 330 or higher. I knew he was doing good but I didn't realize how good. I hope he comes out of this minislump and has a great last quarter season.

Comment

Originally posted by pheasant View Post
                              So far, Trout appears to be a modern day Ty Cobb to me, only with more power.
                              I was thinking more of a Mickey Mantle will less power.
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X