Joe Hauser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Hauser

I think it is important to highlight the stars of minor league baseball sometimes, and the recent Buzz Arlett post got me thinking about Joe Hauser.

Though Hauser had a 629 game big league career, it was in the minor leagues where he really shined. He played at that level for 16 seasons, from the 1910s to the 1940s, hitting 399 home runs to go along with 340 doubles and 116 triples.

From 1930 to 1936, he had a truly incredible stretch. He never hit less than 23 home runs, and he twice eclipsed the 60 dinger mark.

He also had some success in the big leagues, averaging 18 home runs, 84 RBI and a .304 mark from 1922 to 1924.

v61hauser.JPG

ebs33wheatiesmillers-hauser.jpg

Hauser_Joe_003.jpg

Good to see Joe Hauser being remembered. The German fans in Milwaukee, where he played for the Brewers, chanted "Unser Choe!" [Our Joe] ... a moniker that stuck.

Comment

I read that he blamed Ty Cobb for ruining his swing.
      "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Didn't he/doesn't he hold the single season HR record professional baseball?

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
          I think Joe Bauman or Barry Bonds does.
          "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
            I think Joe Bauman or Barry Bonds does.

Comment

Hauser was 7th in the AL MVP voting in '24, but then broke his leg in '25 and took a long time to recover. Probably would have had a fine ML career without the severe injury.

One thing to remember is that guys could make pretty good livings and also be big local stars in places like Hollywood, SF, Minny, and Milwaukee before the majors expanded and enslaved the minors...Steve Bilko was another PCL guy who didn't do much in the majors, but he was famous as a Hollywood player and would hobnob with movie stars. I'm sure a lot of PCL guys just liked to live on the West Coast in a temperate climate and weren't tempted to go play out East.
              Last edited by Dude Paskert; 08-22-2012, 10:15 AM.
              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Bauman hit 72 home runs n 1954.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Hauser's high was 69.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                    Hauser was 7th in the AL MVP voting in '24, but then broke his leg in '25 and took a long time to recover. Probably would have had a fine ML career without the severe injury.

One thing to remember is that guys could make pretty good livings and also be big local stars in places like Hollywood, SF, Minny, and Milwaukee before the majors expanded and enslaved the minors...Steve Bilko was another PCL guy who didn't do much in the majors, but he was famous as a Hollywood player and would hobnob with movie stars. I'm sure a lot of PCL guys just liked to live on the West Coast in a temperate climate and weren't tempted to go play out East.
                    Players in the PCL could also make more money than some MLB players because the PCL season was about 30 games longer than the Majors played.

Comment

Hauser spent the majority of his career in the American Association, not the PCL (just for clarification).

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                        Players in the PCL could also make more money than some MLB players because the PCL season was about 30 games longer than the Majors played.
                        Interesting point!
                        I remember from the Cramer bio of DiMaggio that there was some urgency in his sale to the majors because the Seals were in terrible financial shape...I wonder if they would have held onto him a little longer without the debt problems. The knee injury also was a big factor, I think causing an unwelcome delay because they had to prove he could still play and lowering the price dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                          Hauser spent the majority of his career in the American Association, not the PCL (just for clarification).
                          Yeah, think I had Arlett and Hauser on my mind in my last few posts (plus Jolley and DiMag).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X