Most Hated Yet Respected Player Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Hated Yet Respected Player Ever

I want to start this thread in honor of the great Derek Jeter, whom i dispise openly yet i have to hand it to him. The guy is gonna end with great cooperstown numbers, and he has no talent IMO whatsoever.

For me, he's #1. Who can be the All Time Leader on this? Rose? Bonds? Cobb?
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Jeter isn't widely hated, but everyone has his own LFP - Least Favorite Player. And while he was active, Pete Rose was beloved by the fans as Charlie Hustle - again, not widely hated.

Along with the Cobb and Bonds, you could probably add Ted Williams, Alex Rodriguez, and Carl Mays. Williams wasn't an easy guy to like, but overall the hate wasn't deserved. The other two that I mentioned, well, the fans got it right.

Comment

I think it depends on if you mean hated by the fans or by fellow players. I'm not all that sure about who the fans hated but I would guess that three players were Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson and Albert Belle.

Among the players I think it would probably be Carl Mays.

Comment

Frank Robinson, Dick Allen, Reggie Jackson, and Bob Gibson should be up there (not to pick on black players from the '60s-'70s).
        Maybe Munson, probably more respected for being tough than for being an elite player.
        Oh, Lefty Grove has to be considered, for sure.
        "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
          Frank Robinson, Dick Allen, Reggie Jackson, and Bob Gibson should be up there (not to pick on black players from the '60s-'70s).
          Maybe Munson, probably more respected for being tough than for being an elite player.
          Oh, Lefty Grove has to be considered, for sure.
          Who hated F Robby? Or Gibson (guys hated to bat against him (same with Drysdale ("it's like going to see the dentist")) but that's not how the OP is using the word)?

Grove was a very bad loser, but I've never read that anybody "hated" him.
          Last edited by westsidegrounds; 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM. Reason: to practice parenthesization

Comment

I'm talking about fans perspective. Not what the media tells you. For instance, Joey Belle was widely hated by the media (and then by Indian Fans), but when he had it going, many people rooted for him. Same for Manny. But i mean, people loved Charlie Hustle, but he had many haters, that hate being, still recognized his exploits on the field. Ted Williams had haters, and they always diminished what he did on the field. But Bonds, on the other hand, had many haters who acknowledged his superiority.
            "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
            George Brett

Comment

Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
              I'm talking about fans perspective. Not what the media tells you. For instance, Joey Belle was widely hated by the media (and then by Indian Fans), but when he had it going, many people rooted for him. Same for Manny. But i mean, people loved Charlie Hustle, but he had many haters, that hate being, still recognized his exploits on the field. Ted Williams had haters, and they always diminished what he did on the field. But Bonds, on the other hand, had many haters who acknowledged his superiority.
              Anyone referring to Belle as Joey Belle has little credibility when they are talking about him.

Comment

Pedro Martinez.

I HATED him when he was with the Red Sox and intentionally beaned the Yankee hitters all the time, but I respected the hell out of him as a pitcher.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I have to put this guy at the top. Hated by probably more players and fans than any other player............but how can anyone not respect what this guy did between the foul lines................Ty Cobb, even the flashing of the spikes.

Comment

Tyrus Raymond Cobb!cobb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                      Pedro Martinez.

I HATED him when he was with the Red Sox and intentionally beaned the Yankee hitters all the time, but I respected the hell out of him as a pitcher.
                      I suppose, to be considered a baseball fan, you have to see a Yankees/Sox game live - at least that's how I used to feel. I made my first trip to the Bronx in '03 and was lucky enough to see this game. I was at the concession stand when Jeter got beaned in the hand since our train from Philly was delayed for 30 minutes. But I'll never forget the volume while in the concourse from the fans showing (to be polite) displeasure at Pedro.

I remember the Pedro knockdown of Don Zimmer too - think that may have been a Saturday game I was watching on TV but can't quite be positive.
                      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post
                        Tyrus Raymond Cobb![ATTACH]113860[/ATTACH]
                        "Baseball is about as gentlemanly as a kick to the crotch" - Ty Cobb

I'll select Ty Cobb.

Comment

In my town, we despised but respected Lenny Dykstra for what he did for the Mets. Once he came here, he was a hero in short time. Now, with all of the crap he's been involved with, "Nails" is no more than "Thumbtack".
                          "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

I would remove Ted Williams from any "despised" or "hated" list, for the simple reason that, at worst, fans got irked by his occasional hand and arm signals showing his lack of appreciation for them "riding" him. At worst, Ted generated some head scratching and nodding resentments, more conversation pieces than genuine animosity. Moreover, even his most serious detractors, had to be aware of his attitudes and good efforts for kids; his military service; and his post-baseball cumulative image].

I'd also remove Jackie Robinson, who biased fans resented because of how good he really was. True, Jackie was a shrewd player of head games; and he knew just how to tweak the bile levels among those who "hated" him just for being. Anyone stupid enough to have been in that prejudiced and hateful company deserved all the aggravation Jackie could give them.

It distills, for me to the basic question: What player exhibited the most hateful, dangerous, potentially harmful and destructive behaviors toward players and fans alike, while putting up winning numbers that could only generated some degree of awe. That would be Ty Cobb.

If a guy, ready and willing to raise physical mayhem [and also physically strong enough to do real harm], then Hack Wilson might be considered. Somehow, a Cobb [viewed as keen, focused, and sober gets the harshest judgement], while boozers or druggies with hot tempers often get a free pass as "not being really responsible."]
                            Last edited by leewileyfan; 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Ty Cobb was always downgraded by his peers to the point that some prefered the less heralded Tris Speaker. In Pedro's case, Yankees fans despised him, but wanted him on their team. Good point.
                              George Brett

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X