• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankillaz
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    random items from the internet not attributed to Bill james

1) Williams, controversial to some baseball fans due to his generally abrasive personality and frequently abusive behavior

2) here is a quote from ubiquitous on this very forum: 'Ted did things in his life that were viewed as, and probably were, bad things"

3)Ted williams own daughter: She described dealing with her tempestuous father: “It was hard to keep up with his emotions. Of course it’s tough for a little kid to get yelled at

4) DiMaggio and Williams were very different kinds of ballplayers. DiMaggio cared about and cultivated his image; Williams thumbed his nose at fans and sports writers. Williams, despite his abilities as a hitter, was usually compared unfavorably to DiMaggio. Some of it had to do with Williams often-ornery personality.

5) Early in his career, he was heckled by fans. This started a sort of feud in which Williams never tipped his hat to the crowd until a speech in 1991.

took me about 7 minutes to find these
    Excellent addition. People despised Teddy, despised Cobb and despised Rajah (mostly ball players). But at least the two former got some due respect out of their contemporaries.

Leave a comment:

• Orioles5
    replied
    I have heard that Lou Gehrig did not get along with his teamates although I would not say they hated him. I am not as knowledgble of baseball history as you members here so you would know more about that than me.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Originally posted by leewileyfan View Post
    In fact, Tom Yawkey [BOSOX] and Larry McPhail [YANKEES] agreed to a trade of Ted Williams for Joe DiMaggio. Yawkey insisted that Yogi Berra be added to sweeten the pot; and THAT is what killed the deal. It was 1949.

As it turned out, the Sox would have been royally screwed on that deal.
    If Yawkey insisted on Berra, then he didn't "agree" to the trade

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Just commenting from my time as a fan

1. Barry Bonds the epitome of hated yet respected

2. Albert Belle about a big a jerk as Bonds

3. Reggie Jackson a hot dog even in his days with Oakland

4. Steve Garvey his goodi two shoes act made people want to throw up, but we Giant fans would have loved to have him.

5. Roger Maris through no fault of his own, he just had that smirk that made fans not like him.

6. AROD I've never understood the animosity toward him, but it exists

7. Pete Rose another hot dog

8. Don Sutton arrogant

9. Daryl Strawberry DAAAAARRRRYLLLL DAAAARRRRRYLLL

10. Lenny Dykstra little pests are always hated

Leave a comment:

• pheasant
    replied
    How about AJ Pierzynski? This guy is definitely hated, but is considered a winner.

And to a much lesser degree, Roger Maris was hated in 1961. And Aaron was receiving hate for breaking Ruth's HR record.

Leave a comment:

• fenrir
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
    Hated and respected... well that's Cobb and Bonds right there...
    I'd add Arod and Clemens as well.

Leave a comment:

• 1905 Giants
    replied
    Hornsby was not exactly the most likeable guy either.

From Baseball Almanac:
    "But I'll tell you one guy nobody liked and that was our manager Rogers Hornsby. Now there was a real p-r-i-c-k." - Browns pitcher Les Tietje
    "He was frank to the point of being cruel and as subtle as a belch." - Sportswriter Lee Allen
    Last edited by 1905 Giants; 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Second Base Coach
    replied
    Hated and respected... well that's Cobb and Bonds right there...

Leave a comment:

• SHOELESSJOE3
    replied
    Looking back, now we know it would have been a bad deal for the Bosox.
    I can tell you this,Ted was probably happy it didn't happen.
    Ted did not like hitting at Yankee Stadium, did not like the park, even with the short porch, they could pitch around him.

Batted .345 against Yankee pitching overall and .309 at Yankee Stadium, 161 walks.
    I think his numbers would not be as high with Yankee Stadium as his home, except for his OBA, lots of walks there.

Leave a comment:

• Yankillaz
    replied
    So to recap. BBF recognizes Ty Cobb, Ted Williams and Jackie Robinson as the most despised but revered ballplayers ever. Honorable Mentions to Barry Bonds.

Leave a comment:

• leewileyfan
    replied
    As to the year of the proposed trade, those who said 1946 are probably right. I went to an on-line source for the year and I guess it provided the wrong date. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• leecemark
    replied
    Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
    Leece, what i haven't found is other teams fans drooling for him. Not to get carried away, but Yankee fans hated Pedro so much that they even created the Daddy chant at the end of his career. But when Pedro was GOD (1999-2000), Yankee fans would've traded anyone except Jeter to get him. That's Respect. I think that Cobb, as hated as he was, got more consideration than Williams. Same for Robinson.
    Big Stars were seldom traded in those days. I would assume that fans of other teams wouldn't really consider the possibility Williams COULD be traded.

Leave a comment:

• Ubiquitous
    replied
    Ted was so hated by other teams that the Yankees were willing to make him the highest paid pinch hitter in the game. Ted declined and decided to stay retired.

Ted was so hated by the press that he was honored by the NY press and this happened during his playing days. Ted was so hated by the press that his name appeared on 93.4% of the HoF ballots in his first year. Ted was so hated that he finished first or second in the MVP vote 6 times. Ted was so disliked by his fellow baseball players and managers that he started a ton of ASG in seasons in which the managers or MLB got to pick the roster. The fans hated him so much that he was voted the starting LF'er for the ASG 6 times in seasons in which the fans got to vote on it.

Leave a comment:

• EdTarbusz
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    actually I have a source that says the deal was in 1946 and it was straight up and Yawkey slept on it and woke up and said he had bad dreams about the Ruth deal and called it off, The story broke during the 1946 series (it was from May or June as I recall) so 1949 would have been about three years late
    I thought this was from 1946 as well. 1946 would make more sense than 1949 would.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Originally posted by leewileyfan View Post
    In fact, Tom Yawkey [BOSOX] and Larry McPhail [YANKEES] agreed to a trade of Ted Williams for Joe DiMaggio. Yawkey insisted that Yogi Berra be added to sweeten the pot; and THAT is what killed the deal. It was 1949.

As it turned out, the Sox would have been royally screwed on that deal.
    actually I have a source that says the deal was in 1946 and it was straight up and Yawkey slept on it and woke up and said he had bad dreams about the Ruth deal and called it off, The story broke during the 1946 series (it was from May or June as I recall) so 1949 would have been about three years late

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X