Was Joe Mauer on steroids in 2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Joe Mauer on steroids in 2008?

how come he hit 28 homers this year and hasn't come close before or after?

If you go back and look at footage from the 2009 season, you'd see that around half (I speak with no hyperbole when I say half) of the homers Joe hit that year were sharp line drives in the EXACT same spot— two-three rows deep, barely clearing the left-center wall in the Metrodome; not exactly the type of homer associated with steroid users. He hasn't come close to that somewhat lofty total since because of injury, the move to Target Field (which is the most important reason), and (this point pertains to all XBH, not just home runs) honestly just some bad beats in that a great defensive play is seemingly made nearly every game on one of his trademark line drives hit the other way. He could hit 20-25 HRs a year no problem (he is 6'5" after all and is very athletic for his size) if he changed his approach and started pulling the ball more, but he's smart and doesn't do that (he's basically the archetypal Whitey Herzog/Tom Kelly #3 hitter; changing his approach would ruin that).

Stats are very, very misleading.

And yes, Liquid Swords could definitely be considered the best Wu-associated release; it's either that or 36 Chambers, no question.
    Last edited by wu-tang clan; 08-29-2012, 10:16 PM.
    "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
    "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
    "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

well that pretty much solves anything I need to know.

Sorry for going Skip Bayless on you guys, mods lock this baby up!

Comment

I seem to remember Mauer commenting on his power that year (2009, not 2008). If you recall, he missed Spring Training and the first month of the season due to injury, and he said that the time off gave him "fresh hands."
        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Joe hit better at home than on the road in '09, but he still had 12 HRs away...unless he has a big power burst late this season, he'll have three straight where he didn't hit that many in total.
          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Just to illustrate that I'm not lying, here's a chart I found on FanGraphs that mapped the first seven he hit (all from the month of May IIRC); obviously this only accounts for a quarter of the total, but if you extrapolate favorably, yadda yadda yadda:

mauer_joe_2009_scatter.jpg

This is why I'd be devastated if he ever left Minnesota; I've never seen someone with as much control in the batters box in my lifetime.
            "Baseball is really fun"~ Joe Dimaggio
            "I really like baseball"~ Babe Ruth
            "Baseball is my favorite sport"~ Pete Rose

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X