40 Greatest Throwing Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 Greatest Throwing Arms

According to the bleacher report, the 40 greatest throwing arms ever: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...seball-history

It's impossible to accurately rank them, but you can give place them in order somewhat. Everyone is going to have a different 40 players, especially for such a vague ranking. Then there's always guys who qualify but lasted less than four seasons so they don't get a mention.

Did Bleacher Report get it right? Anyone glaring problems?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

I saw Dave Winfield play 3 years on the Padres. His arm in 78-80 was amazing. He has to a top 10. But guess what, Winfield had the 2nd best arm on the Padres then. Darrell Thomas had a howitzer. Also Whitten and Parker are waaaaaaaaaaaay too low.

Where do they get their info on arms like Ruth and Cobb?
    This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

I would say that Roberto clemente ranks up there. For infielders, I will take Honus Wagner. Pudge Rogriguez takes it for catchers, although Campenella rightfully had a claim here.

Comment

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was always under the impression that Dwayne Murphy had one of the all-time OF arms in baseball.

Comment

No list of great arms would be complete without the inclusion of Bob Kennedy, Vince DiMaggio, and Chuck Klein.

Klein is depreciated because of his Baker's Field dimensions; but the fact is, his records in killing runners going for that extra base attest to his arm strength and accuracy [COMBINED].

That top tier should be reserved, not for guys who throw "far," but who throw high speed, low arc bullets, with accuracy.

Among really old-timers, Bob Meusel, Chief Wilson and Red Murray should be included as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
            Where do they get their info on arms like Ruth and Cobb?
            They mention assists, but there are historical accounts of Ruth's arm, strong from his pitching days, and Cobb's muscular throw. Joe Jackson is on the list, and I've read quotes that he had a great arm but wasn't always accurate. The quotes came from BBF member Bill Burgess. If they aren't somewhere here http://baseballguru.com/bburgess/, then PM or e-mail him and I'm sure he'd be happy to provide or direct you to them.

On another note, if a Mod wants to edit the thread title to specify that this is outfield arms, that would be great.
            "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

When I saw Barry Bonds on a list of names that "just missed the cut" I stopped reading. He had a pretty weak arm.
              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Pretty good list, with a few oddities. Among the 3 contemporaryt NY centerfielders, this list has Snider lowest, then Mays, and Mantle as best. I think it's backwards. Snider's arm was best, followed very closely by Mays, then Mantle. Mantle, when young, had a rocket arm but injured it and never threw quite s well again, though his arm remained strong. He also was a bit erratic. Snider had the best arm of he 3 until he injured it in an informal throwing contest (with Mays!) in 1958.

Comment

Kind of a weird list...the supporting argument for Cobb is that Speaker said his arm wasn't that great??

He didn't stick around long, but I remember Brad Komminsk having a cannon...saw him pick up a ball in LF at Wrigley with a runner rounding third and unleash a great throw, the runner was held and the ball went on a line to the catcher, who didn't even have to move his mitt. I swear to this, a huge percentage of the crowd went, "Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh", myself included. This for an opposing player!
                  "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

How did forget to mention Harry Hooper? Over the first quarter of the 20th Century, he may have had the best arm of all.

Comment

Originally posted by leewileyfan View Post
                      How did forget to mention Harry Hooper? Over the first quarter of the 20th Century, he may have had the best arm of all.
                      My guess is that a lot of guys before the, say, 1930s, were basically ignored- too long ago, most of them forgotten, zero video evidence. Unfortunate.

Comment

Rick Ankiel seems a tad low. I think its better than his contemporaries like Vlad, Guillen, Ichiro, and Francouer.
                        Chop! Chop! Chop!

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                          When I saw Barry Bonds on a list of names that "just missed the cut" I stopped reading. He had a pretty weak arm.
                          Agree completely. When I saw that, the list automatically became very suspect in my mind without even seeing it. Bonds had a quick release but to just miss the 40 greatest throwing arms in history should require just a little....I don't know, arm strength perhaps? Maybe just a little? Somewhere Sid Bream is enjoying a good laugh reading that Barry is an honorable mention.

I don't remember Jim Edmonds having a particular noteworthy arm. Lots of diving catches but I would take Andruw Jones' arm over Edmonds.

The old-timers seem very under represented here. And Ty Cobb doesn't belong on the list. I don't think his arm, particularly before his injury, was as poor as some make him out to be. But I can't see him being on this list. I remember reading somewhere that Jim Thorpe had a cannon for a throwing arm that is often overlooked because of his overall athletic prowess.

Comment

Originally posted by CTaka View Post
                            Agree completely. When I saw that, the list automatically became very suspect in my mind without even seeing it. Bonds had a quick release but to just miss the 40 greatest throwing arms in history should require just a little....I don't know, arm strength perhaps? Maybe just a little? Somewhere Sid Bream is enjoying a good laugh reading that Barry is an honorable mention.

I don't remember Jim Edmonds having a particular noteworthy arm. Lots of diving catches but I would take Andruw Jones' arm over Edmonds.

The old-timers seem very under represented here. And Ty Cobb doesn't belong on the list. I don't think his arm, particularly before his injury, was as poor as some make him out to be. But I can't see him being on this list. I remember reading somewhere that Jim Thorpe had a cannon for a throwing arm that is often overlooked because of his overall athletic prowess.
                            Bonds had an accurate arm, but not extremely strong. Still a bit above average, but not top 40. Edmonds did have a great arm - extremely accurate.
                            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Mel Ott could throw the ball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X