15 Best Infielder Arms In MLB History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 Best Infielder Arms In MLB History

You've probably seen the outfield list. Here is the infield list.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...in-mlb-history
    "The problem with rating infielder arms is that there are two very different ways to look at it, accuracy or power. This list has some players that are better at one and some that are better at the other."

Shawon Dunston and Ken Caminiti. Case closed.
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Comment

Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
      Shawon Dunston and Ken Caminiti. Case closed.
      Concur!

Add in Aurelio Rodriguez.

Comment

Dunston was the best arm I've seen from the shortstop position.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

All the best arms have been recent players, imagine that!
          Seems like this is more of a list of top notch fielders than good arms in particular...and then, Jeter is in there, so it's not even that.
          I mean, Ozzie Smith was a great shortstop despite not having a very strong arm...sure, he was accurate, but plenty of guys who could really huck it were accurate, too.
          Cal Ripken could truly wing it and also didn't make a lot of throwing errors...not quite as spectacular as Dunston in raw strength, but far more reliable.
          High Pockets Kelly and Hal Chase both had arms, and needed them at first back when they were expected to pounce on bunts much more so than now.
          Of course, Wagner could really throw.
          Last edited by Dude Paskert; 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM.
          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

OMG, this is nuts
            Last edited by Dude Paskert; 09-06-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

OMG, this is nuts

Comment

OMG, this is nuts

Comment

"No one turns the double play at second faster than Cano."

Is Mr. Mazeroski THAT far in the distant past?

Comment

I would penalize 2nd baseman for the same reason we penalize Left Fielders in the Outfield. If you knew how to field a groundball and had a weak arm, they would send you to second base. If you had a strong arm, third base or even SS. It's out of discussion. I don't get why second basemen are ranked equal to the other two positions in this matter.
                    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                    George Brett

Comment

Originally posted by yankillaz View Post
                      I would penalize 2nd baseman for the same reason we penalize Left Fielders in the Outfield. If you knew how to field a groundball and had a weak arm, they would send you to second base. If you had a strong arm, third base or even SS. It's out of discussion. I don't get why second basemen are ranked equal to the other two positions in this matter.
                      You'll occasionally get a slow guy with a real arm in LF because he isn't mobile enough to cut off the ball into the corner in RF...like Stargell, for example.
                      2B, rare to see a really good arm there, for the reason yankillaz gives.

Comment

2B doesn't usually have to throw as far as 3B/SS, but on a DP a good 2B gets rid of the ball quickly (everybody knows why they called Maz "No Hands", right?) & fires a fast accurate throw to 1B. He often has to make that throw while off-balance (sometimes in mid-air!), with a runner trying to take him out, which is a play relying totally on arm strength
                        Last edited by westsidegrounds; 09-06-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Cano does have a strong arm, in his defense.

Honus Wagner had a rifle. Mike Lowell wasn't the strongest, but it was very accurate.

For recent players, Tom Tango provides annual fan scouting reports to measure certain abilities of fielders. I believe they're quite accurate.
                          "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

for pure arm strength, we can't leave out Cubs SS Roy Smalley, of "Miksis to Smalley to Addison Street" fame

Comment

Originally posted by westsidegrounds View Post
                              2B doesn't usually have to throw as far as 3B/SS, but on a DP a good 2B gets rid of the ball quickly (everybody knows why they called Maz "No Hands", right?) & fires a fast accurate throw to 1B. He often has to make that throw while off-balance (sometimes in mid-air!), with a runner trying to take him out, which is a play relying totally on arm strength
                              One thing is to have a quick release, and another one to have a strong arm. It's not the same thing. You can develop speed from a shorter distance in second base, but weakened when it has to be from greater distance. The longest throw for a second baseman has to be to throw a player at home, when cutting off a throw from right field, but usually RFers nail the throw to the catcher, hence no need for the second baseman.
                              George Brett

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X