The "second dead ball era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    I always thought the very same thing, seemed to make sense to me.
    It depends on how many Plate Appearances the hitter has. Plate Appearances show how many opportunities the hitter has. Maris had fewer Plate Appearances than Ruth. On the other hand Ichiro had more Plate Appearance than Sisler.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
      It depends on how many Plate Appearances the hitter has. Plate Appearances show how many opportunities the hitter has. Maris had fewer Plate Appearances than Ruth.
      Ruth had 691 PA when he hit 60 HRs.
      Maris had 698 PA when he hit 61 HRs.

Maris did have 50 more AB though.

Comment

It depends on how many Plate Appearances the hitter has. Plate Appearances show how many opportunities the hitter has. Maris had fewer Plate Appearances than Ruth. On the other hand Ichiro had more Plate Appearance than Sisler.
        First. we can never go by plate appearances, the home run record has to go by the season.

I understand that some can actually accomplish more than others in hitting stats. Because, say two players hit 60 in the 154 game season but one had for example more plate appearances or more at bats. The player with less at bats or less PA's would be more impressive but we go by seasons.

How many 200 hit seasons would Cobb have playing the 162 game schedule.
        Seasons with 200 hits Rose 10--------Ichiro 10---------Cobb 9.

I was basing Cobb on the 154 game schedule and surprised at how many games he missed in some seasons with a shot at a 200 hit season. Probably some injuries, missed lots of games.

---------Hits-----Games
        1908----188------150----150 not bad
        1910----194------140
        1919----191------124
        1921----197------128
        1923----189------145
        SHOELESSJOE3
        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 09-13-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Not plate appearances, it has to be at bats.Your tossing in walks when you use PA's.
          Would not be fair to feared sluggers who are often pitched around and walked intentionally.

Who knows how many times Ruth was given nothing to hit. We saw what took place with Bonds because IBB are recorded today. How could it be fair to Barry, every IBB is like he never came to bat, impossible to hit a home run.
          BTW, Ruth probably had some IBB in 1927, Maris had none in 161.

They got it right with the stat AB/HR ratio to show the proficiency the hitter displayed in hitting home runs.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
            Not plate appearances, it has to be at bats.Your tossing in walks when you use PA's.
            Would not be fair to feared sluggers who are often pitched around and walked intentionally.

Who knows how many times Ruth was given nothing to hit. We saw what took place with Bonds because IBB are recorded today. How could it be fair to Barry, every IBB is like he never came to bat, impossible to hit a home run.
            BTW, Ruth probably had some IBB in 1927, Maris had none in 161.

They got it right with the stat AB/HR ratio to show the proficiency the hitter displayed in hitting home runs.
            Where IBB tracked during Ruth's time?
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              Where IBB tracked during Ruth's time?
              I think IBB were first recorded in the mid 1950's.

There are a number that Babe received, not all of them early in his career in the book, "The Babe In Red Stockings."
              One list of 5 consecutive over a two game period. Two in his last two at bats in one game and three in his first three at bats in the next game.
              Trying to contact the authors for some confirmation.

Comment

Here it is from that book. I had it wrong in my previous post, it was his last "three" at bats and the his first "two" at bats in the second game..
                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X