X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital City Goofball
    replied
    Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Fron what I read what Merkle did was common in his time. On plays like that the runner usually didn't bother to touch second base.
    It's sad how one play defined his career... Something Bill Buckner and the others can all attest to... It's like Keith Olbermann said "He does something everybody did, for their own safety, as a game ended. He was the first player on whom the rule was ever enforced and he never lived it down." Merkle got some vindication, the Cubs haven't won a World Series since that year...

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    Well, no way Snodgrass was worse than Buckner. Buckner's error directly caused the loss of a WS game, whereas Snodgrass' was the first hitter of the inning. Had Matty struck out the side or gotten three outs, nobody remembers Snodgrass.

Leave a comment:

• Orioles5
    replied
    Interesting that Leon Durham replaced Bill Buckner at first for the Cubs when Buckner was traded to Boston.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Fron what I read what Merkle did was common in his time. On plays like that the runner usually didn't bother to touch second base.

Leave a comment:

• Jackaroo Dave
    replied
    Guessing Buckner 86 and one of Peckinpaugh's, game 7, 25 series. Oh, and Zimmerman chasing Collins home in Game 7, if that was scored an error. I know he got an error that game, but I don't know if on that play. Actually, I think not, but on a throwing error that led to a baserunner. Well, in that case, that one.
    Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 09-17-2012, 12:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Capital City Goofball
    replied
    Whoops, I completely forgot baserunning errors are not officially recorded as an Error in the stat sheet... My mistake...

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Merkle's Boner wasn't defensive error, though.

Leave a comment:

• Capital City Goofball
    replied
    EDIT: Instead of what I posted below, I give you this... No championships were on the line but I think it deserves a mention... Way back in 1892, during a game between St. Louis and Chicago, Bill Dahlen, batting for Chicago, hit a ball towards the left-field corner. Cliff Carroll of St. Louis ran to cut off the ball and limit Dahlen to a single. As he grabbed the ball and proceeded to throw it, the ball slipped out of his hand and became caught in his pocket. No matter how hard he attempted to pull the ball out, it seemed to get deeper into his pocket. When he finally got the ball out, he threw it towards home plate but by that time Dahlen had already reached home plate, scoring a run...

I believe the New York Giants Fred Merkle made a crucial baserunning error against the Cubs on September 23, 1908... It cost the Giants the victory that would have put them solo atop the standings and given them the NL pennant...
    Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 09-17-2012, 12:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Ha! I knew Fred Snodgrass' error would be #1 before I clicked on the link!

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    started a topic The 10 biggest errors in baseball history

The 10 biggest errors in baseball history

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...2768--mlb.html

Yahoo published the above article in light of the 500,000th error in big league history being made. What do you think? Does it cover all the bases or is it lacking?

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X