Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    2 ASG in 22 years says a lot
    It shows he was underrated regardless of whether or not one thinks deserves to be in the Hall. Plenty of generally agreed upon non-HOF caliber starting pitchers have made 3 or more ASGs.

It's like when MVPs never make a ASG.

Comment

There's another reason why you can be a great pitcher and not make many all-star teams. You pitch much better in the second half. Check out Blyleven's splits.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ear=Career&t=p

Comment

BTW, didn't Blyleven lead the world in HR allowed>?
        So did Robin Roberts for a long time, and he had 6 20 win seasons, was a 7 time all-star, and was tops in pitcher WAR 6 times.
        “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy (Mantle). Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post
          So did Robin Roberts for a long time, and he had 6 20 win seasons, was a 7 time all-star, and was tops in pitcher WAR 6 times.
          which is irrelevant in a discussion on Bert Blyleven

Roberts was a 7 time AS and received MVP voting in 7 years

compared to 2 and 2 for Bert
          1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
          2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
          3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Actually, I should have listed Blyleven among the afforementioned compilers. He certainly was one. Bert probably had better stuff than the other 3. And because Perry isn't as much of a compiler as Bert, doesn't mean that he wasn't one. He still was.
            This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

which is irrelevant in a discussion on Bert Blyleven

Roberts was a 7 time AS and received MVP voting in 7 years

compared to 2 and 2 for Bert
              Well, I'm not saying I'm a big Blyleven fan, because I'm not. My point instead was that giving up a lot of homeruns doesn't make for a bad pitcher necessarily.

For the Record Blyleven is currently 8th on the all-time list, behind (in order): Moyer, Roberts, Jenkins, Niekro, Sutton, Tanana, and Spahn.
              Last edited by 1905 Giants; 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM.
              “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"Fill in any figure you want for that boy (Mantle). Whatever the figure, it's a deal." - Branch Rickey

Comment

Back to the point of this thread, I never hear much about Rod Carew, but looking at his stats he was a pretty darn good ballplayer.

Comment

this is the definition of a compiler
                  The notion behind the term "compiler" being some sort of pejorative is itself foolish. That's perfectly clear from my post.
                  3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Underrated -
                    Relievers like Jesse Orosco, Tom Gordon, Mark Eichhorn, Keith Foulke, Bob Stanley (believe it or not)

Comment

Bert Blyleven

22 yeaRS
                      2 asg
                      1 20 GAME SEASON

DEFINITION OF A COMPILER
                      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Just write "ibid." It'll save you time.

And dgarza is right. Middle guys are important in the modern game but get less respect than pretty much anybody else in uniform.

Comment

Oh, what the heck:

Sutton, P. Niekro, Blyleven, Ryan, G. Perry, all underrated. Cy Young, too, at a higher level, way underrated.
                          Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

That's a good list.

Ryan is underrated here (I'm guilty of it myself) and overrated out in the wider world.

Comment

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
                              That's a good list.

Ryan is underrated here (I'm guilty of it myself) and overrated out in the wider world.
                              Thanks. I'm guilty too, and for our sins we will spend eternity in box seats in Hell Stadium watching Nolan Ryan pitch to Adam Dunn.
                              Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
                                Thanks. I'm guilty too, and for our sins we will spend eternity in box seats in Hell Stadium watching Nolan Ryan pitch to Adam Dunn.
                                When Ryan eventually threw at Dunn's head (you know he would), would Adam actually get fired up enough to go annihilate the Express?
                                "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X