Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Bravos
    replied
    He'd be the first guy in history to be beaned, then get up and say "Yeah...whatever, dude." and just go to first.

Leave a comment:

• Jackaroo Dave
    replied
    Well, he'll already be aflame.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Paskert
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
    Thanks. I'm guilty too, and for our sins we will spend eternity in box seats in Hell Stadium watching Nolan Ryan pitch to Adam Dunn.
    When Ryan eventually threw at Dunn's head (you know he would), would Adam actually get fired up enough to go annihilate the Express?

Leave a comment:

• Jackaroo Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
    That's a good list.

Ryan is underrated here (I'm guilty of it myself) and overrated out in the wider world.
    Thanks. I'm guilty too, and for our sins we will spend eternity in box seats in Hell Stadium watching Nolan Ryan pitch to Adam Dunn.

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    That's a good list.

Ryan is underrated here (I'm guilty of it myself) and overrated out in the wider world.

Leave a comment:

• Jackaroo Dave
    replied
    Oh, what the heck:

Sutton, P. Niekro, Blyleven, Ryan, G. Perry, all underrated. Cy Young, too, at a higher level, way underrated.

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    Just write "ibid." It'll save you time.

And dgarza is right. Middle guys are important in the modern game but get less respect than pretty much anybody else in uniform.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Bert Blyleven

22 yeaRS
    2 asg
    1 20 GAME SEASON

DEFINITION OF A COMPILER

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Underrated -
    Relievers like Jesse Orosco, Tom Gordon, Mark Eichhorn, Keith Foulke, Bob Stanley (believe it or not)

Leave a comment:

• Los Bravos
    replied
    Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    this is the definition of a compiler
    The notion behind the term "compiler" being some sort of pejorative is itself foolish. That's perfectly clear from my post.

Leave a comment:

• 1905 Giants
    replied
    Back to the point of this thread, I never hear much about Rod Carew, but looking at his stats he was a pretty darn good ballplayer.

Leave a comment:

• 1905 Giants
    replied
    which is irrelevant in a discussion on Bert Blyleven

Roberts was a 7 time AS and received MVP voting in 7 years

compared to 2 and 2 for Bert
    Well, I'm not saying I'm a big Blyleven fan, because I'm not. My point instead was that giving up a lot of homeruns doesn't make for a bad pitcher necessarily.

For the Record Blyleven is currently 8th on the all-time list, behind (in order): Moyer, Roberts, Jenkins, Niekro, Sutton, Tanana, and Spahn.
    Last edited by 1905 Giants; 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Actually, I should have listed Blyleven among the afforementioned compilers. He certainly was one. Bert probably had better stuff than the other 3. And because Perry isn't as much of a compiler as Bert, doesn't mean that he wasn't one. He still was.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post
    So did Robin Roberts for a long time, and he had 6 20 win seasons, was a 7 time all-star, and was tops in pitcher WAR 6 times.
    which is irrelevant in a discussion on Bert Blyleven

Roberts was a 7 time AS and received MVP voting in 7 years

compared to 2 and 2 for Bert

Leave a comment:

• 1905 Giants
    replied
    BTW, didn't Blyleven lead the world in HR allowed>?
    So did Robin Roberts for a long time, and he had 6 20 win seasons, was a 7 time all-star, and was tops in pitcher WAR 6 times.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X