Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1929 World Series

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1929 World Series

    I am doing a project over on Philly SPorts History I think some of you guys might enjoy. I am depicting the 1929 World Series as if it were happening live. Announcing lineups, doing background on the pitchers and players, and even doing interviews with a guy I met in Philly who lived in one of the houses next to Shibe that charged people to watch from the roof, and was 6 years old when the Series took place. Game 1 is today! It was a great one, even though it only went 5 games. Love to hear you guys thoughts on that year's A's team. Were they better than the '27 Yankees? And also love to hear what you thought of that year's Cubs squad, which was pretty damn good too. Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Jgoodtimes View Post
    I am doing a project over on Philly SPorts History I think some of you guys might enjoy. I am depicting the 1929 World Series as if it were happening live. Announcing lineups, doing background on the pitchers and players, and even doing interviews with a guy I met in Philly who lived in one of the houses next to Shibe that charged people to watch from the roof, and was 6 years old when the Series took place. Game 1 is today! It was a great one, even though it only went 5 games. Love to hear you guys thoughts on that year's A's team. Were they better than the '27 Yankees? And also love to hear what you thought of that year's Cubs squad, which was pretty damn good too. Thanks!
    '29 A's were approximately equals of the '27 Yanks. They had four unquestionable Hall of Famers (Cochrane Foxx Grove Simmons), the Yanks only two (but those two were Ruth & Gehrig).

    The cubbies were losers, as they have been ever since chiseling McGraw out of the pennant in 1908.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jgoodtimes View Post
      I am doing a project over on Philly SPorts History I think some of you guys might enjoy. I am depicting the 1929 World Series as if it were happening live. Announcing lineups, doing background on the pitchers and players, and even doing interviews with a guy I met in Philly who lived in one of the houses next to Shibe that charged people to watch from the roof, and was 6 years old when the Series took place. Game 1 is today! It was a great one, even though it only went 5 games. Love to hear you guys thoughts on that year's A's team. Were they better than the '27 Yankees? And also love to hear what you thought of that year's Cubs squad, which was pretty damn good too. Thanks!
      I think very highly of the 1928-1932 A's, they finished just one game back in 1928 and played .610 ball in 1932. It is too bad they were upset in the 1931 series or they would have a monster claim to greatest team ever.

      The Cubs had some great hitters and decent pitchers and were managed by Joe McCarthy who I believe was the greatest manager ever. The Yankees thought pretty highly of him too as they snatched him up in 1931 and he went on to manage them for 15 plus years.

      The Cubs, besides excellent years from Hornsby and Hack Wilson, had excellent years from their two other outfielders, Riggs Stephenson and Kiki Cuyler.
      1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
      2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
      3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Foxx-Simmons-Grove A's were an all-time great team. Cubs were very good and loaded: Rajah, Root, Grimm, Kiki, etc Hack. But not quite up to A's level. They easily could have taken that Series though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by westsidegrounds View Post
          '29 A's were approximately equals of the '27 Yanks. They had four unquestionable Hall of Famers (Cochrane Foxx Grove Simmons), the Yanks only two (but those two were Ruth & Gehrig).

          The cubbies were losers, as they have been ever since chiseling McGraw out of the pennant in 1908.
          I told someone that awhile back. The reason for the Cub curse is that they cheated in 1908. Apparantly that's even worse than selling Babe Ruth or throwing the series.
          This week's Giant

          #5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
            I told someone that awhile back. The reason for the Cub curse is that they cheated in 1908. Apparantly that's even worse than selling Babe Ruth or throwing the series.
            The Cubs didn't cheat. The NL shouldn't have allowed a rule to reinterpreted in the middle of a pennant race.

            Comment


            • #7
              Isn't the story that Evers got a random baseball and stepped on the bag because the actual one was lost in the confusion.

              Comment


              • #8
                THis is pretty cool. Got an interview with a guy who was at the 1929 World Series.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jgoodtimes View Post
                  1929-1931 a's were one of the only 2 teams to win 100 games 3 years in a row.

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X