Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check all of the following players which you feel were great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check all of the following players which you feel were great.

Which of these players do you feel was great, compared to all other position players of history? Check as many as you feel apply.
    Al Oliver
    0.34%
    Harry Heilmann
    4.02%
    Steve Garvey
    1.01%
    Alan Trammell
    1.88%
    Joe Jackson
    6.97%
    Pee Wee Reese
    2.08%
    Phil Rizzuto
    1.01%
    Luke Appling
    3.08%
    Rabbit Maranville
    1.21%
    Dave Winfield
    3.02%
    Eddie Murray
    4.29%
    Frank Chance
    0.94%
    Frankie Frisch
    2.82%
    George Davis
    1.54%
    Frank Baker
    3.02%
    Brooks Robinson
    4.69%
    Bill Mazeroski
    1.68%
    Fred Clarke
    1.34%
    Al Simmons
    4.62%
    Roberto Clemente
    7.17%
    Sam Crawford
    5.36%
    Al Kaline
    5.36%
    Roger Bresnahan
    0.94%
    Roger Maris
    1.14%
    Mark McGwire
    3.22%
    Sam Rice
    1.47%
    Jim Rice
    1.47%
    Paul Molitor
    3.89%
    George Brett
    7.31%
    Robin Yount
    5.36%
    Wade Boggs
    6.10%
    Keith Hernandez
    1.68%

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Which of these players do you feel was great, compared to all other position players of history? Check as many as you feel apply.
    Mazeroski and Robinson get in for their fielding- they may have been the two greatest fielders in the history of the game.

And speaking of fielding and unhearlded greatness, I agree with Mark here (might be the only guy to agree) that Keith Hernandez WAS a great player and is very overlooked by most, for whatever reason.

I also think Garvey was a great, hardnosed player.. I know from watching ESPN classic and reading accounts that he almost single handedly got his teams to the world series several years with his hitting in the LCS- I think his postseason record speaks for itself. I think his record was actually far better (overall) than Reggie's, who is given all the accolades (and the moniker) as the hero of the postseason. He was also an outstanding fielder and incredibly reliable/durable, to boot. How many games did he play in consecutively?

I know he was a blow-dried jerk, and his OBP alone might leave him short of the HOF, but I still think he could be called "great" for the many other things he did well. Others would talk about the bad era (and parks) he played in for hitting, and the fact that it was harder to seperate one's self from the pack in those days, too. I'm not sure how strong the league was in that era, but I think almost certainly stronger than today's game.

How would he do playing post 1993, with today's parks, livelier ball, mediocre relief pitchers/expansion level pitching, and a game generally favoring hitters- as opposed to pitchers?
    Last edited by csh19792001; 04-05-2005, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by csh19792001
      Mazeroski and Robinson get in for their fielding- they may have been the two greatest fielders in the history of the game.

And speaking of fielding and unhearlded greatness, I agree with Mark here (might be the only guy to agree) that Keith Hernandez WAS a great player and is very overlooked by most, for whatever reason.

I also think Garvey was a great, hardnosed player.. I know from watching ESPN classic and reading accounts that he almost single handedly got his teams to the world series several years with his hitting in the LCS- I think his postseason record speaks for itself. I think his record was actually far better (overall) than Reggie's, who is given all the accolades (and the moniker) as the hero of the postseason. He was also an outstanding fielder and incredibly reliable/durable, to boot. How many games did he play in consecutively?

I know he was a blow-dried jerk, and his OBP alone might leave him short of the HOF, but I still think he could be called "great" for the many other things he did well. Others would talk about the bad era (and parks) he played in for hitting, and the fact that it was harder to seperate one's self from the pack in those days, too. I'm not sure how strong the league was in that era, but I think almost certainly stronger than today's game.

How would he do playing post 1993, with today's parks, livelier ball, mediocre relief pitchers/expansion level pitching, and a game generally favoring hitters- as opposed to pitchers?
      When he was playing in the seventies through the early eighties, Garvey was thought of as a surefire Hall of Famer. No player in my lifetime has had such a fall from grace, not counting Pete Rose. It seems like the very ones praising him to the skies while he was an all-star relish in tearing him down for being such a false "pretty boy".
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
        When he was playing in the seventies through the early eighties, Garvey was thought of as a surefire Hall of Famer. No player in my lifetime has had such a fall from grace, not counting Pete Rose. It seems like the very ones praising him to the skies while he was an all-star relish in tearing him down for being such a false "pretty boy".
        Yeah, that sounds about right, Cap'n Cold Nose.

Comment

Considering that all of the players mentioned are in the top 2% of all plyaers who have ever played...all of them were great. I will say it again, if you are better at your job than 98% of anybody who has ever done it, you are great at it, regardless of the field. Do all of these guys deserve Cooperstown? Of course not, but that does not mean they weren't great players relative to everybody who has ever picked up a glove. This is my defenition of greatness. I know most will disagree, but I don't care.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Final Talley: Who 29 Fever members voted as Great

Clemente -----27 votes - 93.10%
            J. Jackson-----24
            Crawford------22
            Brett----------22
            Simmons-------20
            Kaline---------19
            Yount---------17
            Boggs---------17
            Heilmann------14 - 48.28%
            Murray--------14
            B. Robinson---13
            McGwire------13
            F. Baker------12
            Frisch--------11
            Winfield-------9
            Appling-------8
            Molitor-------7 - 24.14%
            F. Clarke-----6
            Reese-------5
            G. Davis-----5
            J. Rice-------5
            Mazeroski----5
            Garvey------4
            Maranville---4
            Trammell----4
            S. Rice------4
            Hernandez---4
            Al Oliver-----3
            Maris--------3
            Bresnahan---3
            Rizzuto------2
            Chance-----2
            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 04-26-2005, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Joe Jackson
              Phil Rizzuto
              Luke Appling
              Rabbit Maranville
              Dave Winfield
              Frank Baker
              Bill Mazeroski
              Al Simmons
              Sam Crawford
              Al Kaline
              Roger Bresnahan
              Roger Maris
              Jim Rice
              George Brett

Comment

PCA suggests that almost every player on that list is minimally a borderline candidate for the HOF...I checked a lot of boxes...I don't know if Bill made the votes public or not, but there were prescious few I didn't pick.

Comment

Thanks, Chris. Great. It still works. Thanks for participating.

I am very proud of you for not surrendering the fight on Morgan. Didn't back down, let anyone intimidate you, or run away. Stood your ground, kept your powder dry, and fought off the heavy incoming.

Great job, Chris! Test passed with flying colors! Welcome to Fever's Combat Zone. Just remember to keep your head down, let the incoming artillery shells explode over your head, and fire back with whatever you got. Good job!!

Uncle Bill the Kind

Comment

Could someone explain to me, PLEASE, how Roberto Clemente--the modern-day, but inferior, version of George Sisler, with flashy batting averages but mediocre OBP's (.359 for his CAREER) because he was too much of a man to walk--plus a mediocre SB%, a very mediocre HR% which is not entirely the fault of Forbes Filed, and a TON of throwing errors.... Please tell me how THAT guy gets more votes for "great" than GEORGE F. BRETT?

Defense? Not clear Clemente has the edge, given all those errors, but so what, anyway? He was a corner OF and Brett was a 3Bman. Brett hit for nearly the same average in nearly as tough a home park, and hit the hell out of the ball. No comparison. Brett has a .10 edge in one of those categories, a .12 edge in the other, with 77 more HR's (despite cavernous Royals Stadium), 290 more RBI's and 167 more runs scored. And which one had Stargell batting behind him? McRae or Otis was a feared hitter, but no comparison rationally can be made between him and Otis/McReae.

While CLemente's career fielding % was 12% BELOW average for an OF of his time, Brett's was 4% below the average 3Bman of his time, and he had hugely superior "range factors" for 3Bmen. Both carried their teams to a world title, but I see no rational case, at least in the stats, for rating Clemente over Brett/.

BHN

Comment

A much as I would prefer Brett to Clemente, Clemente is a legend. Mere greats do not outpoll legends. Brett was, in my opinion, the better offensive weapon, but Clemente was the better defender.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I said yes to Alan, Pee Wee, Shoeless, Scooter, Appling, Winfield, Murray, Brooks, Maris, Molitor, Brett, Yount, and last, but far from least, my favorite baseball player of all time- Wade Boggs!

EDIT: And Clemente
                        Last edited by AlecBoy006; 11-11-2006, 08:06 PM.

Comment

It looks like there are some pretty "loose" interpretations of "great" out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado Express
                            It looks like there are some pretty "loose" interpretations of "great" out there.

How 'tight' is your interpretation of great? Top 10 players? Top 50? HoF worthy?

All of the players with more than 50% votes are easily top 100 players all-time, and I'd put 5 of them in the top 50 of all-time.

Comment

I can't believe who I voted for on this poll! If I voted today I would vote completely differently.

Did I really ever think Jim Rice was a great player and Robin Yount wasn't? Yuck.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X