1930 Philadelphia Athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 Philadelphia Athletics

When we hear about great single-season teams, the 1929 A's are brought up frequently. But what about 1930? I thought they were a bit better.

Foxx had 4 more homers and 38 more RBI's

Simmons had 2 more homers and 8 more RBI's

They only won 2 fewer games than the year before

The AL in 1930 was more competitive- Washington, Cleveland, and the Yankees were better teams than in '29

World Series opponent- a lot is made about the worthiness of the 1929 Cubs offensively, but the 1930 Cardinals had a higher batting average and scored more runs (albeit with fewer homers)
    "It's time to play America's favorite game- Name That Molina."

I would say the 1931 team was the best of em all.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagowhitesox1173 View Post
      I would say the 1931 team was the best of em all.
      The 1931 Athletics had arguably the greatest pitching staff of all time.

http://stevegallanter.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Gallanter View Post
        The 1931 Athletics had arguably the greatest pitching staff of all time.

http://stevegallanter.wordpress.com
        How do you figure? The staff looks pretty ordinary if you take out Grove.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X