Babe Herman vs Dave Kingman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babe Herman vs Dave Kingman

I think James was smoking something here.

Kingman? Seriously?
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Yeah he upgraded it to 'Pedro Guerrero' later, but at the time....severe misreading of Herman's career. Same book Hafey is 'Parker' and Klein ditto, so How do you take the guy who was their equal and drop him 7 notches?! Goofy.

Then there was Frisch as Burleson. Oy..

Comment

Originally posted by TomBodet View Post
        Yeah he upgraded it to 'Pedro Guerrero' later, but at the time....severe misreading of Herman's career. Same book Hafey is 'Parker' and Klein ditto, so How do you take the guy who was their equal and drop him 7 notches?! Goofy.

LMAO! Go Rick and good luck.
        "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Where and when were these 'comps' made exactly?

Maybe he was more trying to say they were the same 'type' of player (good hitters/terrible at everything else). Even then, a guy like Greg Luzinski would be closer to Herman than Kingman was. Guerrero is not a bad comp.

Herman's lifetime average was 88 points higher than Kingman's!
          Last edited by willshad; 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Oh these were all in the 2 80's Historical Abstracts he did.

Another good one: Gehrig: Garvey/Mattingly.

Comment

Oh these were all in the 2 80's Historical Abstracts he did.

Another good one: Gehrig: Garvey/Mattingly.
              Wow he was really reaching in that comparison.
              "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Im pretty sure he was generalizing, saying these guys are the same 'type' of player, rather than acutally being similar in value or skill. Gehrig and Mattingly were both slugging first basemen with a good batting average and a lot of RBI, Oliver and Simmons were both high average line drive hitters who didn;t walk, KIngman and Herman were both hitters who brought nothing else to the table.

Comment

Dave Kingman by a fair margin!
                  My dream ballpark dimensions
                  LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                  RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                  Location....San Diego

Comment

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
                    Dave Kingman by a fair margin!
                    Hahaha, your support of Dave Kingman is something I will never forget about this site. Its already entered the realm of nostalgia for me lol.
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Kingman did have stupendous power and Herman's gaffes were historic, but Herman was a much better player overall. He hit .373 over a three year span for goodness sakes (1928 to 1930).

Comment

To be brutally honest I would only be mildly surpised if Bill James rated Dick Stuart as a better defensive 1B than George Sisler.

Oh, and between Herman and Kingman, neither was is getting in my lineup without a D and a H penciled beside his name.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                          Kingman did have stupendous power and Herman's gaffes were historic, but Herman was a much better player overall. He hit .373 over a three year span for goodness sakes (1928 to 1930).
                          Strangely enough, Floyd did not win a batting title in that three year period, but finished second twice. That should tell you something about the offensive environment in that period.
                          But, I agree that Babe was a better player relative to his league than Kingman...pretty much all Dave could do was hit home runs.
                          "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Paskert View Post
                            Strangely enough, Floyd did not win a batting title in that three year period, but finished second twice. That should tell you something about the offensive environment in that period.
                            But, I agree that Babe was a better player relative to his league than Kingman...pretty much all Dave could do was hit home runs.
                            The scary thing is (due to the name) I used to get Billy Herman and Babe Herman mixed up, those 2 certainly don't have much in common beyond the name.

Comment

I realize this is a 3 year old post, but I think that Herman to Guerrero is a fantastic comparison.
                              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X