Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tony Gwynn vs. Tim Raines - Who was Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Gwynn vs. Tim Raines - Who was Better?

I believe these two players are closer than most baseball fans would have ever guessed. In fact, I'm not even sure I can pick one over the other just yet. So who had the more valuable career, Tony Gwynn or Tim Raines?

Gwynn famously won 7 batting titles, while Raines only won one. Raines had over 800 stolen bases and was the most efficient super-high volume base-stealer in history, with a success rate around 85%. Despite finishing with 2,605 hits compared with 3,141 for Gwynn, Raines actually reached base MORE times in his career than Gwynn did. For what it's worth, WAR gives a slight advantage to Raines.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 09-08-2016, 06:37 PM.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Mods - I forgot to add a poll. If possible, please add one with 3 options 1. Gwynn, 2. Raines, 3. Not sure
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Top 10 WAR seasons for each player:

Gwynn - 8.3, 6.4, 6.1, 5.3, 4.9, 4.5, 4.1, 3.9, 3.1, 3.0
      Raines - 7.3, 6.6, 6.3, 6.1, 5.9, 5.3, 3.6, 3.5, 3.4, 3.4
      My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
      2. Barry Bonds
      3. Ty Cobb
      4. Ted Williams
      5. Willie Mays
      6. Alex Rodriguez
      7. Hank Aaron
      8. Honus Wagner
      9. Lou Gehrig
      10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Not really that close. Gwynn simply aged MUCH better than Raines did. Their careers up until age 29 or 30 were close, but from that point on Gwynn blew him away.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
          Not really that close. Gwynn simply aged MUCH better than Raines did. Their careers up until age 29 or 30 were close, but from that point on Gwynn blew him away.
          That's what make the difference for me as well. Gwynn's WAR shows that he still had some value through age 37. Raines's WAR after age 33 falls off, especially since he started to play less. After age 33, Raines only had 3 more 100+ game seasons. Gwynn had 6 more.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
            Gwynn aged better but it can be argued that Raines' peak was better. Raines should have been a first ballot-HOFer. I can't understand why he's still not in.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
              Raines should have been a first ballot-HOFer. I can't understand why he's still not in.
              I think Raines should be in the Hall by now, but I don't see him as a "First Ballot" type of player.

I think what drags him down with the voters is that, although he was a star, he was never really a superstar. His last ASG was at age 27 and he only started 2 ASGs. Perhaps not fair, but I think that's the reason. And he played in Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                I think Raines should be in the Hall by now, but I don't see him as a "First Ballot" type of player.
                What does this mean? I always hear it and never understand. A guy's good enough to be in the Hall or he's not, right?

They were close in career WAR. Raines is a bit higher. His best seasons were generally better than Gwynn's. I'd take Raines
                Last edited by filihok; 12-17-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Tony Gwynn

Comment

I think it's pretty close, with an edge to Gwynn due to his staying effective for a long time. At their peaks Raines was superior- high BA, higher OBP, a bit more power, great basestealing/running, maybe a bit better in the field. But, Gwynn wasn't too far behind during the peak seasons and he carried on well for an additional 4- 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by filihok View Post
                      What does this mean? I always hear it and never understand. A guy's good enough to be in the Hall or he's not, right?

Right. I'm just saying that, by judging on who the voters have voted in on the 1st try, Raines never seemed like that popular player that the BBWAA support so strongly.

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post

I think what drags him down with the voters is that, although he was a star, he was never really a superstar. His last ASG was at age 27 and he only started 2 ASGs. Perhaps not fair, but I think that's the reason. And he played in Montreal.
                        Originally posted by filihok View Post
                        The whole "first ballot" idea is dependent on who a guy's up against anyhow, especially with the stupid and artificial restriction on how many players can be elected in a given year.

I'd like to see Raines make it, if only to get a Montreal cap in.

Comment

This is a very tough call. Tim Raines had a better peak. But Gwynn aged much better. If I'm looking for a leadoff hitter, I'd take Raines. His OB% was similar to Gwynn's, but probably better relative to his competition than Gwynn's. And Raines was arguably the best basestealer ever. But if I'm looking for an RBI man, I'll take Gwynn. Overall, this is a very tough to call for me. I'll go with Gwynn for now, but might change my mind down the road.

Comment

Oh that's a good one, Gwynn. Just impressed me a bit more. Raines was great though.

Comment

He question is "Who was better?" TO me that was Tim Raines. At his best he was a more dominant force in my opinion.
                              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X