Most Famous (or best ever) Number 18 in Baseball History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Famous (or best ever) Number 18 in Baseball History

MLB Network has in its library a show that names the best baseball players by the number they wore.

The show named Bill Russell of the Dodgers as the most famous / best player who wore number 18.

I grew up watching those Dodger teams. Those were my guys. But Bill Russell? I think I can do better than that.

But before I name my guy, name yours. Name two or three.
    Your Second Base Coach
    Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Johnny Damon, for one.

Comment

Darryl... Darryl... Darryl......

Comment

Gene Tenace has the most WAR (at least up until 2010) among all players while wearing #18.
        *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

My vote goes to Ted Kluszewski, one of the great forgotten sluggers. In 4 straight seasons he had at least 35 home runs AND more home runs than strikeouts. In three of those seasons, he hit at least 40.
          My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
          2. Barry Bonds
          3. Ty Cobb
          4. Ted Williams
          5. Willie Mays
          6. Alex Rodriguez
          7. Hank Aaron
          8. Honus Wagner
          9. Lou Gehrig
          10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Ted Kluszewski was pretty good for a while wearing #18.

Moises Alou wore #18 almost his entire career, and I definitely put him ahead of Bill Russell.

Tenace, Strawberry and Damon are all better choices in my mind too.
            Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

Originally posted by DJC View Post
              Gene Tenace has the most WAR (at least up until 2010) among all players while wearing #18.
              A catcher version of Adam Dunn without the playing time. Not exactly true, but I think Tenace really looks better via advanced metrics than he actually was. He was a good player but I can't get behind him as some have.
              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Mel Harder has more.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Nellie Fox wore #18 in 1949, playing for the A's.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                    Mel Harder has more.
                    Sorry, he doesn't.

Harder played from 1928-47 and racked up 42.2 pitching WAR and -4.1 position player WAR for a total of 38.1 WAR over his career. He wore #18 from 1930-47, during which he earned 43.5 pitching WAR and -3.9 position player WAR for a total of 39.6 WAR.

Tenace played from 1969-83 and racked up 44.3 total WAR (all as a position player). He wore #18 from 1973-83, during which he earned 40.1 total WAR.

Whether you compare their entire careers or just the periods during which they wore #18, Tenace had more WAR than Harder.
                    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Comment

Would Red Faber count? The Sox didn't wear numbers until his final three years, but he did start with 18 and ended with 18.
                      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Sorry, he doesn't.

Harder played from 1928-47 and racked up 42.2 pitching WAR and -4.1 position player WAR for a total of 38.1 WAR over his career. He wore #18 from 1930-47, during which he earned 43.5 pitching WAR and -3.9 position player WAR for a total of 39.6 WAR.

Tenace played from 1969-83 and racked up 44.3 total WAR (all as a position player). He wore #18 from 1973-83, during which he earned 40.1 total WAR.

Whether you compare their entire careers or just the periods during which they wore #18, Tenace had more WAR than Harder.
                        Ah, ok. Forgot about Harder's batting WAR.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Although not the best, Bill Rigney has player and manager fame.

Comment

I'm kind of incredulous. Bill Russell? I can't add any more to those already listed above, but how could anyone take Russell above Big Klu, Harder, Damon, or Darryl? I'm thinking he's a personal friend with someone at the MLB network.

Comment

My guess is they gave him credit for being a manager, or some other credit for just being around for a long time. How much video they had of the man may have something to do with it too. It usually doesn't, as I note the amount of still photos they use for some of their shorts.

Any other nominations?
                              Your Second Base Coach
                              Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X