Carl Yastrzemski's odd career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Yastrzemski's odd career

Carl Yastrzemski had somewhat of odd career. From 1963-70 Yastrzemski was an elite player. Then from 1971-83 he was just ho-hum.

1963-70 (1,236 G, 5,314 PA): .301/.402/.513, 153 OPS+, 56.4 WAR
    1971-83 (1,764 G, 7,316 PA): .275/.370/.430, 118 OPS+, 30.2 WAR

During the 1963-70 seasons, Yaz has lots of Blank Ink. He led in:

OBP 5X
    OPS+ 4X
    OPS 4X
    BA 3X
    SLG 3X
    2B 3x
    Runs 2X
    Hits 2X
    TB 2X
    BB 2X
    HR 1X
    RBI 1X

He also won 5 Gold Glove and of course won the Triple Crown and the 1967 AL MVP Award. After 1970 he led in runs scored one time in 1974. And that's it. So what happened after 1970? Any theories?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Old age would be my guess. Maybe he got a injury somewhere along the way.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

http://www.baseball-fever.com/archiv.../t-109379.html

Dgarza has a link to a SI article mentioning Yaz's hand injury here.
      Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
        http://www.baseball-fever.com/archiv.../t-109379.html

Dgarza has a link to a SI article mentioning Yaz's hand injury here.
        The full article.

Yaz SI 07-10-1972.JPG
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          Carl Yastrzemski had somewhat of odd career. From 1992-70 Yastrzemski was an elite player. Then from 1971-83 he was just ho-hum.. So what happened after 1970? Any theories?
          Don't see why this is so weird.

He developed until his late 20's, had a few years of peak performance and fell off in his 30's.

The decline was pretty sharp, easily explained by the injury, but he had some good years after 1970; 1973 and 1977

Comment

Certainly looks like an injury or two. Looking at his game logs from '71, he had a steady decline across the board starting early June.

Code:
                        G   XBH   RBI    AVG   OBP   SLG

Thru 5/31   47   19    28   .297  .451  .525
            Aftr 5/31  101   19    42   .234  .346  .331
            Looks alot like somebody playing through an injury. Not sure if he had a surgery during the offseason or whatever it was didn't get to 100% by Spring, but he started out brutally in 1972 while missing a week early on and finally hitting the DL for a month from what looks to be the mentioned leg issue in the article above. I don't see a mention of what the hand issue was, but we've seen players lose power for over a year after a hamate injury. Even with the leg, as I'm sure we can all attest to, recovery time post-30 takes longer as each year passes. But whatever it was, it must have done some damage since he pretty much was forced to 1B right afterwards.
            "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

From age 31-40, Yaz's Sac. Flies pretty much doubled and his IBBs went up.

Comment

His homeruns really dropped after the 1970 season.
                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

He's never really that bad, all the way to age 43. He doesn't really have any clunker seasons. His career has a pretty common path of a great player.
                  This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Yaz is right about the strikeouts. They start out in the sixties, go up to the 90s, then in 1970, his last great year, they go down to the 60s and he keeps them there.

Reading his comments in the article gave me a lot more respect for his mental game. It is so hard to know your own strengths when they are fading. A player in his situation with less intelligence and mental toughness might have turned into Dave Kingman.
                    Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                      He's never really that bad, all the way to age 43. He doesn't really have any clunker seasons. His career has a pretty common path of a great player.
                      After 1970 Yaz was still a good productive ballplayer just a far cry from where he was in the 1960's. It's common for many great ballplayers decline in their early 30 as they struggle to be as consistent. But many did and do still have a few elite seasons in their 30's. Yaz never really did. It seems injures were a major culprit. I started following baseball in 1976 (age 7-8) and Yaz was still viewed as a major star. At least that's how I remember it.
                      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-02-2013, 10:30 PM.

Comment

If you look at his yearly wOBA
                        http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/1014...8_20121003.png
                        it's pretty consistent.

There's just 3 years (out of 4) where it really spikes. Those are his outlier years. Other than that he was consistently good, for consistently long

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                          After 1970 Yaz was still a good productive ballplayer just a far cry from where he was in the 1960's. It's common for many great ballplayers decline in their early 30 as they struggle to be as consistent. But many did and do still have a few elite seasons in their 30's. Yaz never really did. It seems injures were a major culprit. I started following baseball in 1976 (age 7-8) and Yaz was still viewed as a major star. At least that's how I remember it.
                          1973 .296/.407/.463
                          1974 .301/.414/.445 led league in runs
                          1977 .296/.372/.505 102 RBI

He was always pretty productive.
                          This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

If you look at it closely, Yaz actually only had three (MAYBE 4) 'great ' seasons. other than that, he was 'good' for many years. In fact, if you take out his three best seasons, he is a very good match for Harold Baines, maybe worse if we consider his huge home/road splits.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
                              1973 .296/.407/.463
                              1974 .301/.414/.445 led league in runs
                              1977 .296/.372/.505 102 RBI

He was always pretty productive.
                              Like I said Yaz was productive in the 1970's but hardly the elite player he was from 1964-70.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X