Carl Yastrzemski's odd career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by filihok View Post
    A projection is an attempt to say what will happen in the future.

We're not talking about the future...we're talking about the past.
    that's not true man. A projection could attempt to model a hypothetical (past).

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
      that's not true man. A projection could attempt to model a hypothetical (past).
      Fair enough.

Comment

DiMaggio never adapted to Yankee Stadium. These guys weren't dumb but they couldn't do what Yaz had to.

this is just crazy

Yaz did not adapt to anything other than play in a bandbox and any attempt to say otherwise is just baloney

and for what it's worth

DiMag hit .315 and slugged .546 in YS
        Yaz hit .306 and slugged .503 in Fenway

and Yaz did not miss 3 prime years to a war

I would say DiMag adapted pretty well

and DiMag hit .334 and slugged .605 in Fenway
        Yaz hit .278 and slugged .434 in YS
        Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 01-06-2013, 06:45 PM.
        1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
        2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
        3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
          DiMaggio never adapted to Yankee Stadium. These guys weren't dumb but they couldn't do what Yaz had to.

this is just crazy

Yaz did not adapt to anything other than play in a bandbox and any attempt to say otherwise is just baloney

and for what it's worth

DiMaggio had a .938 OPS at Yankee Stadium
          DiMaggio had a 1.015 OPS otherwise.

If, according to your hypothesis, a player's true talent is reflected by his away stats then DiMaggio certainly did not adapt to Yankee Stadium because he hit much worse there.

Comment

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
            this is just crazy
            and for what it's worth
            and DiMag hit .334 and slugged .605 in Fenway
            Yaz hit .278 and slugged .434 in YS
            Roy, are you unable to understand what I wrote, or are you deliberately misinterpreting it? It makes a difference to me.
            Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM.
            Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

DiMaggio had a .938 OPS at Yankee Stadium
              DiMaggio had a 1.015 OPS otherwise.

If, according to your hypothesis, a player's true talent is reflected by his away stats then DiMaggio certainly did not adapt to Yankee Stadium because he hit much worse there.
              Two different worlds.
              Asking one player to take advantage of a hitters park
              Asking another player to adapt or make the most out of a park death on RH hitters.

Not only that how difficult was it for Yaz to get the most out of his park. Look at some of the Bosox hitters home and away, some of the splits are unbelievable. How do we know he did anything that different at home, so many feasted there.

Then look at some RH Yankee hitters at home, especially the long ball, most way, way lower at home.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                Two different worlds.
                Asking another player to adapt or make the most out of a park death on RH hitters.

Not only that how difficult was it for Yaz to get the most out of his park. Look at some of the Bosox hitters home and away, some of the splits are unbelievable. How do we know he did anything that different at home, so many feasted there.

Then look at some RH Yankee hitters at home, especially the long ball, most way, way lower at home.
                right

and Ted WIlliams hit .361 at home and .328 on the road

how is it that Yaz with almost identical splits adapted and Williams didn't

it's pure jibberish
                Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM.
                1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaroo Dave View Post
                  Roy, are you unable to understand what I wrote, or are you deliberately misinterpreting it? It makes a difference to me.
                  It's a usually a bit of both.
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Looks like Joe liked Fenway.
                    Career .334/.410/.605.
                    Career home runs 29, only Ruth, Mantle, Killebrew and Kaline hit more there, most by visitors.
                    Not to mention missed 33 more games at Fenway, prime year in the service.
                    Ted Williams, I think hit .309 in Yankee Stadium, good but not Williams like.
                    Teds own words, did not like hitting at Yankee Stadium, the high stands, all the smoke rising.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                      right

and Ted WIlliams hit .361 at home and .328 on the road

how is it that Yaz with almost identical splits adapted and Williams didn't

it's pure jibberish
                      Roy, Yaz got fat in Fenway by going the other way. Williams was well-known for not doing so.
                      Indeed the first step toward finding out is to acknowledge you do not satisfactorily know already; so that no blight can so surely arrest all intellectual growth as the blight of cocksureness.--CS Peirce

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                        Two different worlds.

Joe, Bobby Richardson, Horace Clark, and Frankie Crosetti all had better home/away splits than the Clipper.
                        Edit: For Roy's benefit, by "better" I meant their home production was higher relative to their road production than Joe's.
                        Last edited by Jackaroo Dave; 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Williams was as good or nbetter than Yaz no matter what he did with Fenway as a home park compared to both on the road

saying yaz adapted better by going to left while WIlliams did not belies the numbers

the only thing that matters for this thread is Yaz was helped immensely by playing in a bandbox, and it inflates his value

Roy, Yaz got fat in Fenway by going the other way. Williams was well-known for not doing so.

Comment

• power hitters all lol

Joe, Bobby Richardson, Horace Clark, and Frankie Crosetti all had better home/away splits than the Clipper.
                            Edit: For Roy's benefit, by "better" I meant their home production was higher relative to their road production than Joe's.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                              Williams was as good or nbetter than Yaz no matter what he did with Fenway as a home park compared to both on the road

saying yaz adapted better by going to left while WIlliams did not belies the numbers

the only thing that matters for this thread is Yaz was helped immensely by playing in a bandbox, and it inflates his value
                              His value, as measured by WAR, adjusts his home park.

Comment

• I am not a big fan of WAR

His value, as measured by WAR, adjusts his home park.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X