No announcement yet.

Civil War Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been at least two books written about baseball during the Civil War. The one I read last year documented which regiments played games year by year. During the playing of one game the opposing troops attacked and killed the centerfielder and wounded another player.

I don't have titles but it should be easy to google.
    "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
    "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
      ^ I can't believe anyone fell for Bill Stern's story about Lincoln telling Doubleday that on his death bead [and thus being conscious]. Lincoln got shot with a .44 derringer point blank. You don't come back from that.
      It was the dramatic music Stern used. It got me every time.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
        Thorn's Baseball in The Garden of Eden, a dry read, goes in depth with the origins of baseball. Not just the National Association, Knickerbockers, and 1869 Cincinnati club, but also its transition as an English ball-and-bat activity to the Americas. Around the time the Knickerbockers and subsequent organizations were developing (1850s), baseball's influence remained mostly a New England game (primarily New York). The Civil War, for all of its atrocities, may have helped the game reach the further portions of the nation. The game was probably reported through newspapers and word-of-mouth beyond New England, to which people would regard it as a variant of cricket. Actually seeing Union soldiers play would theoretically materialize Southerners' familiarity (if any) with the rules.

In the Civil War's beginnings, POWs received rather decent treatment as captives. As war politics/propaganda began stirring emotions and the bloody tolls grew on people, prison camps on both sides became nothing short of a concentration camp. Rampant disease obliterated thousands of POWs existing in subhuman conditions. Each side became very hostile towards each other, so I don't see games occurring between sides (outside of a POW camp) after the Battle of Gettysburg when camps started transforming to very miserable places. In fact, the documented games trail of significantly after April 1863. The only post-1863 "inter-army" game I found came immediately after the surrender at Appomatox, where both weary sides came together for a game. It wasn't a secret that the South was losing, so both sides probably had a sense of the war ending for some time.

Before this time, POWs didn't have it so bad. In fact, they occasionally left the camps for limited town trips. This would enable Confederate POWs being held by Northerners (many from NY) to learn baseball. Prison guards encouraged games be played to keep everyone, guards and prisoners, in higher spirits. In a war full of divisions such as rich and poor, North and South, soldier and officer, brother vs brother, baseball relieved the tensions for a short while and brought upon these men the very thing the Civil War has been recognized for: equality. This lithograph, created by a Union captain, depicts Union and Confederate POWs playing baseball

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119591[/ATTACH]

Southerners also witnessed games from marching Union soldiers or armies that overtook their lands. However, documentation shows that baseball remained mostly a Northern sport in the Civil War, though the war definitely planted its seeds in the South. As I mentioned, however, I did not find any specific events of sides playing before battles. Each side kept to itself, and maybe organized games before battles WITHIN themselves (i.e. Union battery vs. Union regiment). The only place I know where you could find details on your belief of "moonlight battles" would be this book. However, one of my sources quotes the book and there's no mention of such a notion.

As for rules, mesozoic baseball rules can be found through Google.

My sources:
        Smithsonian Blog
        Baseball Almanac
        Baseball in The Garden of Eden by John Thorne
        Missouri Civil War Museum
        Old Time Baseball by Harvey Frommer
        SABR
        My knowledge of baseball, The Civil War, and how both interacted
        This needs to be the Post of the Day

Comment

Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
          Except "the day" was almost a year ago. But a worthy post, nonetheless.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
            Except "the day" was almost a year ago. But a worthy post, nonetheless.
            Perhaps we should elect a committee to look over all the entries into the "Post of the Day" thread throughout the year, then select some to vote on. When we have our annual winner, HWR can present a digital trophy! It'll be our own baseball-fever Post Awards online banquet and presentation! We can pretend we are all gussied up even.
            "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Cap78 View Post
              Much obliged
              "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Comment

The winter 2013 issue of Civil War Monitor has an article about baseball in the Civil War.

http://www.civilwarmonitor.com/table-of-contents/i10

I've only had a chance to scan the actual in-print article, but it does mention a New York Times piece. I think this is it.

http://www.opinionator.blogs.nytimes...ind-bars/?_r=0
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X