greatest living player who played before WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greatest living player who played before WWII

With the passing of Stan Musial, I realized that he was probably the greatest living player who had played before WWII. Who would be the top candidates now? Anyone want to name a team or go position by position for the greatest living who began prior to WWII.

This is turning out to be hard. Basically the thought came to mind as I was wondering if we had seen the passing of the last great "old tyme" baseball player, old time being relative of course.

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post
      With the passing of Stan Musial, I realized that he was probably the greatest living player who had played before WWII. Who would be the top candidates now? Anyone want to name a team or go position by position for the greatest living who began prior to WWII.
      Spahn is close, but he didn't play in the majors until 1942.

Comment

Haven't been able to find a single living hall of famer, or player with 50+ war who debuted before 1942.

Comment

Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post
          Spahn is close, but he didn't play in the majors until 1942.

Passed away in '03. I think I would have counted him because he debuted before he went to serve in WWII. So let's say anyone who started before '42, or who debuted and then served in WWII.

Even if there are no HOFers left, it still might be interesting to post a team of living players who qualify as having played before WWII.
          Last edited by brett; 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I guess it would have to be Bobby Doerr. He started in 1937. He's still alive.
            "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Would that make Virgil Trucks the 2nd greatest?

Comment

Actually, Monte Irvin is still alive. He was with the Newark Eagles in the late 30s. How would we compare his entire career to Doerr's?

Comment

Originally posted by dgarza View Post
                  Actually, Monte Irvin is still alive. He was with the Newark Eagles in the late 30s. How would we compare his entire career to Doerr's?
                  Thats a close call, I would even say Monte Irvin was better. I forgot about him and I had just looked him up last week too.
                  "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Bobby Doerr is far and away the best position player.

Virgil Trucks is far and away the best pitcher.
                    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                    2. Barry Bonds
                    3. Ty Cobb
                    4. Ted Williams
                    5. Willie Mays
                    6. Alex Rodriguez
                    7. Hank Aaron
                    8. Honus Wagner
                    9. Lou Gehrig
                    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

It's going to be a very thin list. Unfortunately,there may not even be 9 guys left who played before WW2.
                      It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X