Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64Cards
    replied
    It's going to be a very thin list. Unfortunately,there may not even be 9 guys left who played before WW2.

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Bobby Doerr is far and away the best position player.

Virgil Trucks is far and away the best pitcher.

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    Originally posted by dgarza View Post
    Actually, Monte Irvin is still alive. He was with the Newark Eagles in the late 30s. How would we compare his entire career to Doerr's?
    Thats a close call, I would even say Monte Irvin was better. I forgot about him and I had just looked him up last week too.

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Actually, Monte Irvin is still alive. He was with the Newark Eagles in the late 30s. How would we compare his entire career to Doerr's?

Leave a comment:

• dgarza
    replied
    Would that make Virgil Trucks the 2nd greatest?

Leave a comment:

• chicagowhitesox1173
    replied
    I guess it would have to be Bobby Doerr. He started in 1937. He's still alive.

Leave a comment:

• brett
    replied
    Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post
    Spahn is close, but he didn't play in the majors until 1942.

Passed away in '03. I think I would have counted him because he debuted before he went to serve in WWII. So let's say anyone who started before '42, or who debuted and then served in WWII.

Even if there are no HOFers left, it still might be interesting to post a team of living players who qualify as having played before WWII.
    Last edited by brett; 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brett
    replied
    Haven't been able to find a single living hall of famer, or player with 50+ war who debuted before 1942.

Leave a comment:

• SavoyBG
    replied
    Originally posted by brett View Post
    With the passing of Stan Musial, I realized that he was probably the greatest living player who had played before WWII. Who would be the top candidates now? Anyone want to name a team or go position by position for the greatest living who began prior to WWII.
    Spahn is close, but he didn't play in the majors until 1942.

Leave a comment:

• brett
    replied
    This is turning out to be hard. Basically the thought came to mind as I was wondering if we had seen the passing of the last great "old tyme" baseball player, old time being relative of course.

Leave a comment:

• brett
    started a topic greatest living player who played before WWII

greatest living player who played before WWII

With the passing of Stan Musial, I realized that he was probably the greatest living player who had played before WWII. Who would be the top candidates now? Anyone want to name a team or go position by position for the greatest living who began prior to WWII.

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X