Jackie Robinson General Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackie Robinson General Thread

There are a few Jackie Robinson threads but not a "general" thread. So here it is. Let's talk Jackie! I just finished reading Arnold Rampersad's 1997 book Jackie Robinson: A Biography. This book, with significant input from Rachel Robinson, covers Jackie's entire life. There was a lot of about Jackie's post baseball career that I didn't know about especially his his deep involvement in politics. I new some of it before but didn't know the extent that was involved.

Here's a short mini biography that hits the key highlights of Robinson's life and career.

http://www.biography.com/people/jackie-robinson-9460813

Jackie 6.jpg

Jackie 3.JPG

Jackie 1.jpg
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 11-02-2013, 01:01 AM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

ESPN Sports Century

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Rampersad's bio of Robinson is one of the best baseball bio's out there. Eig's Opening Day is an eye opening account of Robinson's rookie season. It takes on some of the stories from books like Golenbock's Bums.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
        Rampersad's bio of Robinson is one of the best baseball bio's out there. Eig's Opening Day is an eye opening account of Robinson's rookie season. It takes on some of the stories from books like Golenbock's Bums.
        I liked the book as well. It was quite detailed and riveting. Have you read Jules Tygiel's Robinson biography?

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          I liked the book as well. It was quite detailed and riveting. Have you read Jules Tygiel's Robinson biography?
          A while back. I'd probably have to re-read it to comment about it.

Comment

I have, it's titled Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson And His Legacy. It's more than a biography, it's a well-researched and well-written history of the integration of baseball. It's my go-to source for any question on the subject. I highly recommend it.
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

I'll have to read it as well, aches.

Comment

The 1950 film, The Jackie Robinson Story.

Comment

I thought the guy who played him was very convincing.
                  They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                    I thought the guy who played him was very convincing.
                    He was ok. But he doesn't look anything like the real Jackie Robinson.

Comment

That movie ruined what should have been one of its scenes. Negro League bus at gas station. Station owner won't sell food to the players. Robinson: Get back on the bus. Owner relents when he realizes he will lose a big sale in gas. Instead the movie shows a very meek Robinson.

Comment

He was ok. But he doesn't look anything like the real Jackie Robinson.
                        Did he talk nasally like Robinson did?
                        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Isn't the pitcher who balks Jackie Robinson home at the 47:33 mark Dick Williams?

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                            That movie ruined what should have been one of its scenes. Negro League bus at gas station. Station owner won't sell food to the players. Robinson: Get back on the bus. Owner relents when he realizes he will lose a big sale in gas. Instead the movie shows a very meek Robinson.
                            This movie is obviously a product of its time; a sanitized, feel-good, lets-skip-a-lot-of-details, type of film. At least it's way better than the William Bendix Babe Ruth film that was a total wreck. This film didn't capture Jackie's true personality at all. But there was no way that a film in 1950 was going to portray, a strong, powerful, sometimes angry, black man who spoke his mind often. There was no mention of Robinson's court martial and no mention of Robinson's 1945 tryout with the Red Sox. And did they really have to use the stereotypical heavy set "mammy" for Jackie's mother? Seriously?! Jackie's mother, Mallie, didn't look anything like the actress that protrayed her.
                            Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 11-09-2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Would you guys put Robinson as the best player on the Dodgers teams during his "prime". I mean, he does have competition from Duke Snider, Roy Campanella, and (some would argue) Gil Hodges.
                              “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X