Ty Cobb discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

I've mentioned this power factor specifically before in my defense of Honus Wagner as the greatest RH hitter of all time (in my opinion). Bluesky has discussed this phenomenon with regards to Nap Lajoie also.

In my mind it makes perfect sense, since unless players played in unique bandbox (or rarely in a park conducive to inside the park homers), the homerun ball wasn't in their arsenal. Therefore the power hitters couldn't utilize the homer and had to rely on doubles and triples to provide the isolated power separation between them and the more common hitters. Since they only had the opportunity to garnish one or two extra bases for big clouts, as opposed to potentially three for later generations, their ability to distinguish greatness was in a smaller "pool" of potentiality so to speak.
    This is very insightful and nuanced. Well said, per your usual, Toledo!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AstrosFan View Post
      Re: Correlation between BB rate and Iso

I ran the numbers for 1903-18 and for 1919-35, which gave me two samples of about equal size: 5,318 and 5,202.

I calculated BB rate as BB/AB, which is what I usually see, though I have posted a question on that stat's calculation in the sabermetrics forum.

I used the CORREL function in Excel to make these calculations.

The correlation (r) for the deadball era was about .006. For the lively era, it was about .049.

The test statistic is calculated as r/sqrt((1-r^2)/(n-2)), where n is the sample size. N-2 represents the degrees of freedom in calculating the test statistic for correlation.

Since I am making no assumption on whether the data is positively or negatively correlated before making the calculations, I am using the two-tailed alternative hypothesis. The null hypothesis is simply that the two are not related.

The critical value for a two-tailed alternative is +/- 3.182

The test statistic for the deadball era is about .418. For the lively era, it is about 3.55.

Given that information, we would fail to reject the null for the deadball era, and reject it for the lively era. That suggests there was not a relationship between walk rate and iso in the deadball era, and there was one during the first 17 years of the live ball era.
      This is outstanding work!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X