X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by csh19792001
    Ruth's splits
    Home: .397/.539/.985
    Ruth slugged nearly 1.000 at home for an entire season.
    He had 201 total bases in 204 at bats!!!

Home: .404/.545/.929

The Grounds:
    258 to right, 249 to left.

The left-field second-deck overhang meant that a homer to left was actually easier than a homer to right, even though the wall in left was 19 feet further away - the overhang was 21 feet, effectively shortening the distance required for a pop-fly homer to the second deck in left to 249 feet because of the angle involved.

In his two ostensibly greatest seasons, you gotta believe Ruth benefitted a ton from his park. Light years more so than after the move to The Stadium.
    Regarding the home runs, more than a few times I gave some numbers on Ruth's 32 home runs hit at the Polo Grounds that season. If I can recall, only 6 went into the lower deck in right and some were described a "deep" into the bleachers. All the rest were into the upper deck. One off the roof facade in RF, some to the power alleys, more than a few over the roof, one to the back row in left center field and two to dead center. So he did poke a few down that line but overall, he earned the rest.

Until Ruth poked a number over the roof in RF and RCF before 1920 no parks had foul lines painted any further than on the ground itself, there was no need. It was Ruth's high drives that brought on the painting of the foul stripe up to the roof, the precursor to what we call today, the foul pole or as some choose to call it, the fair pole.

Comment

I picked 1921 because he basically did his 1920 numbers with a lot more ABS, so 1921 over 1920 for me.

1923 is a close second. Definitely more balanced, but it just doesn't have the appeal of the spectacular 1920-1921 seasons.
      Last edited by four tool; 01-25-2006, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3
        I chose 1921 by a slim, slim margin over 1923. To me this was his most well rounded season. He did have some stats in other seasons that bettered his 1921 stats but all around he was at his best in 1921
        In 1921 Ruth had his SECOND highest totals and SECOND highest percentage stats for one season in the following.
        Home runs--------------------59------60 IN 1927
        Doubles----------------------44------45 in 1923
        Batting Average-------------.378-----.393 in 1923--- also had a .378- 1924
        Slugging--------------------.846-----.847 in 1920
        OPS------------------------1.359---1.379 in 1920
        Run/CG---------------------17.90---18.41 in 1920

So he did do better in some stats in 1920 and 1923 but was second by a slim margin in a number in 1921.

His best for one season all in 1921. Triples----------------------------------16
        Total bases----------------------------457
        RBI's-----------------------------------171
        Runs-----------------------------------177
        EBHs-----------------------------------119
        Runs created above average (RCAA)----166
        Runs Created--------------------------243

Looks (1921) to be the best all around, the way I see it. Strong argument could be made for 1923 and 1920.

Ruth could have had 60 home runs in 1921 and that would have tied his best which was 60 in 1927. On July 5, 1921 he hit a ball into the bleachers but a fan in attempting to catch the ball knocked it back onto the playing field. At that time the runner was given a ground rule double, that was the ground rule then, has been changed since then. A few inniings later he did hit a home run, striking a flag staff on the roof.
        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 10-11-2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Regarding the home runs, more than a few times I gave some numbers on Ruth's 32 home runs hit at the Polo Grounds that season. If I can recall, only 6 went into the lower deck in right and some were described a "deep" into the bleachers. All the rest were into the upper deck. One off the roof facade in RF, some to the power alleys, more than a few over the roof, one to the back row in left center field and two to dead center. So he did poke a few down that line but overall, he earned the rest.
          Have you looked at 1921 also? I'd be really interested too hear how many cheapies he had that year, which was probably his best on paper.

With Ruth, MOST of his years were freakishly good, and you can't go wrong with any of them. Ruth in his prime was very much like Bonds the last 5 years, but with far more runs and RBI's, taking the ball to all fields, and hitting for a higher average. Less of his value coming from walks and homeruns, and more from sheer hitting ability.

Comment

Ruth could have had 60 home runs in 1921 and that would have tied his best which was 60 in 1927. On July 4,1921 he hit a ball into the bleachers but a fan in attempting to catch the ball knocked it back onto the playing field. At that time the runner was given a ground rule double, that was the ground rule then, has been changed since then. A few inniings later he did hit a home run, striking a flag staff on the roof.
            Nice work here as always, Joe. This anecdote I hadn't ever heard before.

Comment

Have you looked at 1921 also? I'd be really interested too hear how many cheapies he had that year, which was probably his best on paper.

With Ruth, MOST of his years were freakishly good, and you can't go wrong with any of them. Ruth in his prime was very much like Bonds the last 5 years, but with far more runs and RBI's, taking the ball to all fields, and hitting for a higher average. Less of his value coming from walks and homeruns, and more from sheer hitting ability.
              I believe, I thought that the year Sholessjoe3 was speaking of was his 1921 season.

Comment

Nice work here as always, Joe. This anecdote I hadn't ever heard before.
                I believe that the ruling on balls hit into the spectator section changed in the 1930s. It's a judgement call by the ump, deciding did the fan reach onto the playing area or not when deflecting a ball. It was clear in Ruth's lost home run in 1921 at the Polo Grounds, the ball hit a few rows back but a fan knocked it back on to the field.

I recall seeing somewhere that Ruth also lost two home runs at Shibe Park in the 1930s because of a ground rule in effect. I think he hit 49 that season and that cost him what would have been his 5th season with 50 or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jidge708
                  I believe, I thought that the year Sholessjoe3 was speaking of was his 1921 season.
                  Ok, how about 1920?

Comment

Ok, how about 1920?
                    I have not looked at his home/away home runs, distance in 1920. It was 29 home and 25 away but I have not checked game recaps of that season, where those 29 were hit, what area of the Polo Grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jidge708
                      I recall seeing somewhere that Ruth also lost two home runs at Shibe Park in the 1930s because of a ground rule in effect. I think he hit 49 that season and that cost him what would have been his 5th season with 50 or more.
                      That was the 1930 season and he did hit 49. Twice in that season, I think once in April and then late in the season September Ruth hit balls that cleared the wall in right center but struck speaker supports and bounded back on the playing field. There was no ground rule covering that, both times the Yanks protested, both times they lost and Ruth was given a double.

Don't recall the one pitcher but one was hit off of Lefty Grove.

Comment

I voted for 1923 for two reasons:

1.As Wee Willie said, Ruth was very good in the field in 1923. Although he was a decent fielder in his younger years, 1923 was his only year when he was really of Gold Glove quality out there.

2.Ruth's power numbers in 1920 and 1921 were greatly inflated by the Polo Grounds. In 1923 he played in Yankee Stadium which was a pitchers' park, even for left handers.

Comment

Ok, how about 1920?
                          Season Homers

Babe had 12 home runs by the end of May (far more than anyone had ever hit in one month before), 12 home runs in June, and 37 home runs by the end of July.

-- He only hit seven in the next five weeks, but came alive again in September and had 10 homers in his last 24 games.

-- His first 16 Polo Grounds homers in '20 all went into the upper deck, or over the roof.

Batting Averages

On June 20, it was .345

On June 28, it was .359

On July 1, it was .372

On July 11, it was .385

On August 4, it was .391

He cooled off a bit after that and finished with a .376 average, good for fourth in the league behind Sisler (.407), Speaker (.388), and Jackson (.382).

-- During 1920 Babe began to be walked more and more. Huggins finally switched Babe from fourth to third in the order, and put Meusel, a good cleanup hitter, in the fourth spot. It didn’t help much.

-- Typical was a game on July 11, when Ruth went to bat four times against Howard Ehmke of Detroit, and took the bat off his shoulder only twice. In the first inning with men on 2nd and 3rd and nobody out, he was walked on four straight pitches. In the third inning with nobody on, he swung and missed at the first pitch, and hit a home run on the next pitch. In the fifth and seventh innings, both times with the bases empty, he was walked on four straight pitches.

-- It became apparent that there was no way to pitch to him. In a June game, the Yanks were losing 5-3 in the eighth inning to the Red Sox. The Yanks had runners on first and third, and Babe was coming up to bat. The Sox wanted to walk him, but that meant putting the winning run on first base, and the tying run into scoring position. They decided to take their chances. Babe hit a triple off the right-center exit gate in the Polo Grounds to score both runners. Meusel followed with a double to score Ruth, and then Pratt singled in Meusel. Yankees win 7-5.

Hitting Streak

Babe’e 26 game hitting streak came in 1920. It lasted from June 26 and ended in the second game of a double header on July 13. In the final game he walked twice and struck out twice. After the last strikeout, he slammed his bat against the ground in frustration and cracked it.

Here’s some info on that streak courtesy of SHOELESSJOE3:

"Here is what I have, remember there are 5 games with no accounting for. With the total of probable at bats being around 90+ ( thats low) assuming an average of 3 or 4 in those 5 missing games a few more hits could make a big difference in that batting average for those 26 games"

AB-----------78
                          Hits----------36
                          Ba.----------.461
                          BB-----------16
                          Doubles------5
                          Triples-------4
                          Home runs---10

Comment

surpseied 27 has all those votes

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                              surpseied 27 has all those votes
                              Probably because of hitting 60 in 1927, more print for that season.
                              I stay with 1921, it was his best all around.

One note here, only a fluke cost Babe a 60 home run season in 1921. Fan intererference, a fan attempting to catch a ball knocked the ball back on to the field, today fan interference in 1921 not so, Babe sent back to second base, a double.

Not only that, in January of 1921 he predicts hitting 60 and but for that lost home run his prediction would have been correct. Finished with 59 home runs in 1921.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                                i voted for 1921, which i think could possibly be the best season anyones ever had, but looking at 1923, Ruths stats seemed to be so distributed that '23 is hard not to vote for

career high BA, career high hits, career high doubles, a good amount of triples, a decent 41 homeruns, career high BB, and a damn good OPS

but alot of people will probably sleep on that year because he only had 41 homeruns, and it'd be hard to say his best year was a season he was behind his usual pace on homers
                                Are we to include defense as well? I like '23 because a lot of defensive systems rate it as one of the top 5 defensive years ever by a right fielder. All-around I think that '20, '21, '23 and '24 are his 4 best, BUT I think that '27 sometimes gets UNDER appreciated because after the 50+ years in '20-'21, Ruth hung around in the 40 range. Those years would have seemed a little anomalous in terms of HRs if he hadn't put up the 60 in '27. Interestingly, the league had still not really starting hitting home runs by 27. Ruth actually hit almost 1 out of every 7 home runs in the AL that year. '29 was the first year in which the league really started to move toward the "home run hitter".

'21 however was actually a bigger offensive year in the AL than even '30 in OB and Slugging and maybe the best in history for the AL in those terms.

I think that some people think that '19 was one of his top 5 as well.

Also, in '20-'24 pitchers could save their best for Ruth. By '27 that would have been dangerous.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X