Origin of "hitter's Triple Crown"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rugbyfreak View Post
    It's always about when the media wants to start referring to something mythical like a Triple Crown as something real. To my knowledge, to this day, you never read in the papers anything about the pitching Triple Crown (W, K, ERA), and yet, that designation has now made it to baseball-reference.com, at the bottom of every pitcher's sheet, under "Awards."

I believe--but I'm not positive--that the batting TC is still, technically, mythical. That is, I don't believe a guy receives any real trophy for it. But I could be wrong. So much of BB stats and such is mythical, built up by the press, but representing no real award from MLB.

My dad told me that he thought he had a special baseball card for Mantle after the '56 season that had him holding some kind of trophy or award.

I thought it was mythical and that my dad was remembering wrong but I found this:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...868c6&ei=UTF-8
    Attached Files
    Last edited by brett; 10-27-2007, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Answer from Peter Morris:

Note - I misstated Cobb's claim in my email to Mr. Morris.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the email. Are you sure that Cobb included runs batted in in his list? The entry in the Dickson Baseball Dictionary has runs scored rather than runs batted in. Since runs batted in weren't an official stat until 1920, that makes more sense.

Even with that qualification, I have my doubts about Cobb's claim. Like you, I've never seen that specific term used to apply to leading the league in (any) three hitting categories prior to 1941 and my efforts to search for it have come up empty. I'm inclined to think that what Cobb meant is that baseball people (or perhaps just Cobb himself) considered those to be the three most important categories in which to lead the league.

I'm cc-ing Skip McAfee, editor of the Dickson Baseball Dictionary, who may have more to add.

Best,

Peter
      I emailed him back concerning Burgess's 1936 Gehrig reference.
      Last edited by Brian McKenna; 10-28-2007, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Received an email today from the editor of the 3rd ed. of "The New Dickson Baseball Dictionary", to be published in 2009.

He was interested in referencing Bill Burgess' find in the 1936 Sporting News and the Washington Post reference from Post #9.

Another good job by the guys at BBF. Good topic Appling.

Comment

The Sporting News listed RBIs for the first time in 1907. The RBI became an official part of the scoring summary in 1891, but seldom was. In 1920 it was ruled that the RBI was to be included in the scoring summary.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X