No announcement yet.

Was Roberto Clemente kidnapped in 1969?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Roberto Clemente kidnapped in 1969?

I stumbled across this crazy story about Roberto Clemente being kidnapped in San Diego in 1969. Supposedly, Clemente didn't report it to San Diego police and the story didn't become public until the late summer 1970. I'd never heard of this story before.

The Observer-Reporter, August 28, 1970, pg B-4

1970-08-28 Observer-Reporter pg B-4.JPG
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

I found this 1973 article that gives more detail.

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette, April 19, 1973, pg 25

1973-04-19 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette pg 25.jpg
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

This is insane.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Well, I certainly believe that Stargell was wolfing down fried chicken even after eating in the clubhouse earlier.

19th Century League Champion
        1900s League Champion
        1910s League Champion

1930s League Division Winner
        1950s League Champion
        1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
        1960s League Division Winner
        1970s League Champion
        1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
        1980s League Champion
        All Time Greats League Champion

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
          This is insane.
          A live chicken? You can't make this stuff up.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Fascinating stuff, HWR. I'm from Western Pa., but I was in the Army in 1969 and 1970 and obviously didn't hear anything about this then- not a lot of Pirates talk in Vietnam. When you posted this the faintest bell rang in my head- I think I read something about it in a Pittsburgh paper years later, but have no further insight. Clemente was an unusual guy in some ways but he was a very honest one- I have no reason to believe that he would fabricate such a story.

Comment

Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post
              Well, I certainly believe that Stargell was wolfing down fried chicken even after eating in the clubhouse earlier.
              Willie probably also stopped for dinner between the ballpark and the hotel!
              ;^)
              "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Comment

Bumping this up.
                "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X