Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country's First MLB Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Country's First MLB Player

    Who was your country's first MLB player.

    The first Aussie to play MLB was Joe Quinn who played from 1884 until 1901. He played 1768 games in a career that saw him play for a number of clubs:
    St. Louis Maroons, Boston Braves, Boston Reds, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Spiders, Cincinnati Reds & Washington Senators. He had a career average of .261 with 29 HR and 791 RBI.

    His career stats can be found in the following link.
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/goreds/AUSMajor.htm#QUINN
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

    No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

  • #2
    Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
    Who was your country's first MLB player.

    The first Aussie to play MLB was Joe Quinn who played from 1884 until 1901. He played 1768 games in a career that saw him play for a number of clubs:
    St. Louis Maroons, Boston Braves, Boston Reds, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Spiders, Cincinnati Reds & Washington Senators. He had a career average of .261 with 29 HR and 791 RBI.

    His career stats can be found in the following link.
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/goreds/AUSMajor.htm#QUINN
    Eventhough a couple of Dutch players did some try outs for MLB clubs like the New York Giants and the Yankees, the first Dutch player in the Majors was Win Remmerswaal. He pitched two seasons for the Boston Red Sox before blowing his arm. He was used as a reliever in 1979 and 1980. His stats are:

    Games: 9
    W-L: 3-1
    ERA: 5.50
    IP: 55.2
    ER/R: 34/34
    Hits: 65
    HR: 5
    BB: 21
    IBB: 2
    SO: 36

    After 1980 he played a lot of years in Italy, where you could make some money as a ball player as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
      Eventhough a couple of Dutch players did some try outs for MLB clubs like the New York Giants and the Yankees, the first Dutch player in the Majors was Win Remmerswaal. He pitched two seasons for the Boston Red Sox before blowing his arm. He was used as a reliever in 1979 and 1980. His stats are:

      Games: 9
      W-L: 3-1
      ERA: 5.50
      IP: 55.2
      ER/R: 34/34
      Hits: 65
      HR: 5
      BB: 21
      IBB: 2
      SO: 36

      After 1980 he played a lot of years in Italy, where you could make some money as a ball player as well.
      What about Bert Blyleven?

      Comment


      • #4
        Japan - Masanori Murakami

        Comment


        • #5
          I believe Ferguson Jenkins.

          Comment


          • #6
            Puerto Rico- Hiram Bithorn 1942-1947 (4 Seasons)

            Wins- 34 ( An 18 win season in 1943)
            Losses- 31
            Games- 105
            Games Started- 53
            Complete Games- 30
            Shutouts- 8
            Innings- 509
            Strike Outs- 185
            ERA- 3.16

            He played for the Cubs for 3 seasons and for the White Sox for 1.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wamby
              What about Bert Blyleven?
              I am not sure about him.

              Sure he was born in Zeist, the Netherlands.

              But as far as I know he received the American citizenship. The question here is did he become American citizen before or after he started playing in the Majors? I think the latter, so he wasn't a Dutchman anymore when he broke into the Majors.

              The same with Rynie Wolters. He was born back in 1842 in the Netherlands and played three years in the Majors from 1871 to 1873. But here I am not sure if he kept the Dutch citizenship or if he adopted the American citizenship.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Yankees 27
                Puerto Rico- Hiram Bithorn 1942-1947 (4 Seasons)

                Wins- 34 ( An 18 win season in 1943)
                Losses- 31
                Games- 105
                Games Started- 53
                Complete Games- 30
                Shutouts- 8
                Innings- 509
                Strike Outs- 185
                ERA- 3.16

                He played for the Cubs for 3 seasons and for the White Sox for 1.

                Didn't the Expos play at the stadium that was named after him?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CanadianKid
                  Didn't the Expos play at the stadium that was named after him?
                  Hey, you know your history!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Anyone know if a Brit/englishman has ever played in the majors?
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you,
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Red Sox, you are the only only only!
                    [/SIZE]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ^ I wondered that a while ago & this is what I found...

                      http://www.baseball-reference.com/bi...and_born.shtml

                      They're all from ages ago though

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Lance Painter who used to pitch for the Cards is the only player I recognize out of the players born in England.
                        2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak
                          Lance Painter who used to pitch for the Cards is the only player I recognize out of the players born in England.
                          Well that's 1 more than me, I recognise 0 of them!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Do you know of any up and coming English baseball players?
                            2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
                              Hey, you know your history!
                              It was only '03 and '04, it's not like its ancient history.
                              RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X