Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese baseball info

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Jim:

    I have a question about Japanese players who played in the Majors.

    How did they do in Japan after playing in the Majors?

    Did they do better in Japan compared to the first time around?

    I know they were older and probably declining in their careers.



    Has anyone done any research on it?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Cubano100%
      Jim:

      I have a question about Japanese players who played in the Majors.

      How did they do in Japan after playing in the Majors?

      Did they do better in Japan compared to the first time around?

      I know they were older and probably declining in their careers.

      Has anyone done any research on it?
      Right now, it's just too small a sample size to bother with. I doubt there's a dozen such cases right now. Later, it might become a matter of interest.

      Jim Albright
      Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
      Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
      A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

      Comment


      • #18
        Some data for some key Japanese players against major leaguers, per a post of Michael Westbay at Japanesebaseball.com in this thread:

        Code:
        Starffin     ERA  G  CG  SO  W  L  Inn      H  HR   K  BB  R  ER
        1934 (MLB)  0.00  1   0   0  0  0   1       0   0   1   2  0   0
        1953 (RO)  54.00  1   0   0  0  0     1/3   3   0   0   0  2   2
        
        Kaneda       ERA  G  CG  SO  W  L  Inn      H  HR   K  BB   R  ER
        1951 (AAA)  4.09  6   0   0  0  2  11      10   1   4  11   8   5
        1953 (RO)   5.63  2   0   0  0  1   8       8   3   1   5   5   5
        1953 (NYG)  9.78  4   1   0  0  2  19 1/3  30   2  10  13  21  21
        1955 (NYY)  6.75  6   0   0  0  2  16      20   4  11   8  12  12
        1956 (BD)  13.06  7   0   0  1  2  10 1/3  16   5  10   8  15  15
        1958 (StL)  5.14  6   0   0  0  1  14      14   1   7   7   8   8
        1960 (SFG)  4.15  5   0   0  0  1  13      15   3   6   3   9   6
        1966 (LAD)  9.00  1   0   0  0  1   2       5   1   0   1   4   2
        
        Inao         ERA  G  CG  SO  W  L  Inn      H  HR   K  BB   R  ER
        1956 (BD)   2.31  6   0   0  0  1  23 1/3  21   4   8   3   7   6
        1958 (StL)  6.62  5   0   0  1  3  17 2/3  21   2   5   4  14  13
        1960 (SFG)  3.97  3   0   0  0  2  11 1/3  12   3   5   4   5   5
        1962 (DT)   4.50  3   1   0  0  0   6       6   2   2   4   3   3
        
        Nomura       Avg   G  AB  RS   H  2B  3B  HR  RBI   K  BB  SB
        1956 (BD)   .000   5  10   0   0   0   0   0    0   2   1   0
        1958 (StL)  .053  14  19   2   1   0   0   1    1   4   2   0
        1960 (SFG)  .359  15  39   4  14   1   0   1    9   6  11   0
        1962 (DT)   .125   4  16   1   2   0   0   1    1   7   1   0
        1968 (StL)  .200   4  10   0   2   0   0   0    1   2   1   0
        
        Nagashima    Avg   G  AB  RS   H  2B  3B  HR  RBI   K  BB  SB
        1958 (StL)  .283  15  46  11  13   3   0   2    3   3   6   2
        1960 (SFG)  .000   3   5   0   0   0   0   0    0   0   0   0
        1962 (DT)   .500   5  18   4   9   5   0   0    4   1   3   0
        1966 (LAD)  .211  10  38   6   8   0   0   1    5   6   4   2
        1970 (SFG)  .250   1   4   1   1   0   0   1    3   0   1   1
        1971 (BO)   .258  18  62   6  16   3   0   2    8   5   9   0
        1974 (NYM)  .444  17  26   3  12   2   0   0    4   5   3   
        Source: 日米野球交流史 ("Nichi-Bei Baseball Interaction History"), Baseball Magazine Sha, 2004, ISBN 4-583-61297-4.
        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

        Comment


        • #19
          Surprised that Starffin is Russian, not American.
          His parents came to Japan to escape the Bolshevik Revolution and he was born in Hokkaido, Japan. Interesting.

          Former Japanese baseball star, Koji Ota is also of Russian descent.

          Comment


          • #20
            To help clarify issues of how the MLB-NPB agreement works, see here:
            Business Law Journal article For the text of the agreement, see here: The Working Agreement

            Jim Albright
            Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
            Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

            Comment


            • #21
              What injury shortened the career of 1953-58 HR champion Futoshi Nakanishi?

              Comment


              • #22
                A somewhat off-topic question, at least from where this thread is going: Does the official NPB site have an English version? I've tried clicking on just about everything (and I mean everything) on that site and can't seem to figure out if there is English available or not. Any suggestions?
                "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

                "My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jalbright

                  Best books:

                  Baseball's Other Stars by William McNeil (many countries discussed, but Japan has a chapter)

                  You Gotta Have Wa by Robert Whiting (Japan)

                  The Meaning of Ichiro by Robert Whiting (Japan)

                  Remembering Japanese Baseball by Robert Fitts

                  Japanese Baseball Superstars by Robert Fitts and Gary Engel
                  Have you read "The Chrysanthemum and the Bat", by Whiting?
                  I read it at least 15 years ago, but I do remember that I thought it was outstanding. Focused more on Japanese baseball itself than the topic of gaijin players, which was a major theme in "You Gotta Have Wa".
                  "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Mr. Albright:
                    Do you know where I could find the stats of the Cuban players (kindelan, pacheco, ulacia, german mesa) who played in the Industrial League years ago (around 2002)?

                    Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by bkmckenna
                      What injury shortened the career of 1953-58 HR champion Futoshi Nakanishi?
                      Poorly treated tendonitis - see http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...oshi_Nakanishi for a fairly complete biography. Rob Fitts' book Remembering Japanese Baseball is an excellent resource and includes a chapter on Nakanishi.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Mischa
                        Poorly treated tendonitis - see http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...oshi_Nakanishi for a fairly complete biography. Rob Fitts' book Remembering Japanese Baseball is an excellent resource and includes a chapter on Nakanishi.
                        IIRC, the tendonitis began with a badly broken wrist. Sports medicine was in its infancy then, and Japan was hardly on the cutting edge of the issue at the time.

                        Jim Albright
                        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by bhss89
                          A somewhat off-topic question, at least from where this thread is going: Does the official NPB site have an English version? I've tried clicking on just about everything (and I mean everything) on that site and can't seem to figure out if there is English available or not. Any suggestions?
                          They used to have one, but in one of the more boneheaded, xenophobic decisions in NPB history (of which there have been many), they took it down. They're Japanese-language only now. I don't see the point, since the majors can certainly hire people with expertise in the language, so the move doesn't protect anything, just denies information. Score one for the idiotic fuddy-duddies who run Japanese baseball!

                          Jim Albright
                          Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                          Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by cubaxpos
                            Mr. Albright:
                            Do you know where I could find the stats of the Cuban players (kindelan, pacheco, ulacia, german mesa) who played in the Industrial League years ago (around 2002)?

                            Thanks
                            The best thing I can suggest is to post this question at japanesebaseball.com's Ask the Commish forum and hope someone can help you.

                            Jim Albright
                            Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                            Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                            A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by hellborn
                              Have you read "The Chrysanthemum and the Bat", by Whiting?
                              I read it at least 15 years ago, but I do remember that I thought it was outstanding. Focused more on Japanese baseball itself than the topic of gaijin players, which was a major theme in "You Gotta Have Wa".
                              That's the one book on Japanese baseball by Whiting I haven't read. I've not gotten a clear answer on how much it duplicates the other two. Your comment seems to indicate that such isn't much of an issue. Am I understanding you correctly?

                              Jim Albright
                              Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
                              Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
                              A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by jalbright
                                That's the one book on Japanese baseball by Whiting I haven't read. I've not gotten a clear answer on how much it duplicates the other two. Your comment seems to indicate that such isn't much of an issue. Am I understanding you correctly?

                                Jim Albright
                                I have not read "The Meaning of Ichiro". I did not read the other two books close to each other in time, but I believe that TCATB was an in depth treatment of Japanese baseball's nature and history with some coverage of gaijin players, while YGHW focused much more on the gaijin while providing some background on Japanese baseball.
                                Time may be acting as a poorly ground and dirty lens in both cases....I'll try to take a look at the books tonight.
                                "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X