This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim,
    I'm not sure if your an expert on Japanese High School baseball, but has an American-born player ever played at Koshien?
    Last edited by Williamsburg2599; 12-01-2006, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Williamsburg2599
      Jim,
      I'm not sure if your an expert on Japanese High School baseball, but has an American-born player ever played at Koshien?
      Where did Tadashi Wakabayashi go to school?

Comment

Jim,
        I can't answer that question, but I'd guess my friends at japanesebaseball.com could. I'd suggest posting the question in the "Ask the Commish" forum there. If you get an answer, I'd appreciate your posting it here.

Jim Albright
        Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
        Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
        A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
          Where did Tadashi Wakabayashi go to school?
          According to Japanese Baseball Superstars by Robert Fitts and Gary Engel, Wakabyashi
          was born on a Hawaiian pineapple plantation in 1906. Wakabayashi learned baseball as a child on the playing fields of the neighboring U.S. military base. He played baseball for McKinley High in Honolulu and in 1929 toured Japane with a Nisei (ed.: second generation Japanese emigre, IIRC) team from Stockton, CA. Impressed with Wakabayashi's pitching, Hosei university tried to recruit him. The other Big Six Universities, however, objected to enrolling a foreigner purely for his baseball skills, and Hosei supposedly dropped their plan. Yet, Wakabayashi did not give up. After a brief return to Hawaii, he arrived in Tokyo declaring his intentions to enroll at Hosei. A compromise was reached and Wakabayashi attended preparatory school for nine months until he attained the university's minimum entrance requirements.
          Jim Albright
          A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright
            I can't answer that question, but I'd guess my friends at japanesebaseball.com could. I'd suggest posting the question in the "Ask the Commish" forum there. If you get an answer, I'd appreciate your posting it here.

Jim Albright
            Here's the link to the thread: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/foru...2&thread=28719 . One answer so far.

Comment

I got a copy of Whiting's The Chrysanthemum and the Bat, and though much of the last third of the book is reprised in You Gotta Have Wa and the later Whiting books are better IMO, it has some valuable history in it. As such, I have added it to my list of resource books.

Jim Albright

Comment

Jim,
                This is a bit of an odd request, but do you know where I could purchase an offical NPB baseball online? It's for a school project. I've found a few with sigs on them on Ebay and such, but I don't want to ruined a signed ball or pay too much for it.
                -Eric

Comment

Jim,
                  This is a bit of an odd request, but do you know where I could purchase an offical NPB baseball online? It's for a school project. I've found a few with sigs on them on Ebay and such, but I don't want to ruined a signed ball or pay too much for it.
                  -Eric
                  Eric,

I'd suggest contacting japanesebaseball.com in the AskTheCommish forum to get some help on that one.

Jim Albright

Comment

Can someone point me to a list of all Japanese players who have been signed to MLB contracts, particularly in the post-1990 period? (I'm looking for all players, not just the guys who reached the majors in the U.S.) Thanks.

Comment

If you can't find it any other way, post this question in japanesebaseball.com's Ask the Commish and/or Nichi Bei forums. I'd think you'll get what you're looking for. It's free, and doesn't even require you to provide personal information.

Jim Albright

Comment

Originally posted by jalbright View Post
                        Jim,
                        -Eric

Eric,

I'd suggest contacting japanesebaseball.com in the AskTheCommish forum to get some help on that one.

Jim Albright
                        I know I am new here but from my wanderings around the net that there isnt on NPB "official ball" like there is in the MLB. Teams were actually allowed to pick from up to 8 different ones.

From Robert Whiting's Articles at The Japan Times:

Said Marty Kuehnert, special assistant to the president with the Rakuten Eagles, "The chance of a merger between the MLB and NPB in the near future is minuscule. I've watched Japanese baseball closely for nearly 40 years, and while the players have made huge improvements, management has not.

"There is still little cooperation within the leagues -- there is no fair draft, no or little cooperation on selling broadcast rights, licensing or marketing . . . they don't even use the same baseball.

"You can choose from eight or nine different balls, and change them nightly if you want to. How in the world could they cooperate with 30 teams in North America if they can't cooperate among the 12 over here?"

TomC
                        Last edited by ColbyPants; 08-06-2007, 11:59 PM.
                        Author of The Smoking Lounge
                        sigpic

Comment

Japanese webcasts

Does anyone know if there are webcasts available for NPB games. I searched JapanBaseball.com, and they say there is one for the Golden Eagles, which I finally figured out how to sign up for, but I cant figure out where to sign in. I also know that JapanBaseball.com occasionally has an audio webcast of a random game. Other than this, is their anything available?

TomC
                          sigpic

Comment

Did you check the Media section of japanesebaseball.com? The remaining issue is the language barrier, and that's more difficult to deal with for many of us.

Comment

I have, and they were very helpful. Unfortunately the options are quite limited. Both Softbank and Rakuten do webcast home games for foreign consumers, if you are willing to hunt around their sites and babelfish a bit.

Thats definately a sight worth joining though, a wealth of info.

TomC
                              sigpic

Comment

Baseball: NPB, amateur baseball body agree to stop illegitimate scouting

Interesting bit of news, but how will it be enforced?

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2007/10/04/2989771.htm

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X