Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cuban Baseball Structure

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wednesday 26th Cuban series Playoffs begin


    Villa Clara Orange (VCL)- Ciego de Avila Tigers (CAV)
    Santiago de Cuba Wasps (SCU)-Las Tunas Woodcutters (LTU)
    Pinar del Rio Green Sox (PRI)-Industriales Lions (IND)
    La Habana Cowboys (LHA)-Santi Spiritus Roosters (SSP)

    My predictions for this round:

    Ciego de Avila over Villa Clara
    Santiago de Cuba over Las Tunas
    Industriales over Pinar del Rio
    La Habana over Santi Spiritus


    Go Ciego de Avila!!!!
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 03-23-2008, 08:40 PM.

    Comment


    • Santiago Wasps right fielder Alexei Bell broke the HR and RBI records for a Cuban season. He ended with 31 HR and 111 RBI. He also was among the leaders in several offensive categories.

      Habana Cowboys lefty Yuliesky Gonzalez finished the season with 15 wins and 0 losses and his teammate Yonder Martinez led the league in ERA with 1.55.

      Pinar del Rio Green Sox Pedro Luis Lazo broke the all time win record in Cuban baseball earning his 235 wins.

      Comment


      • I believe Havana closer Jose A. Garcia also set a new career saves record with 112.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
          I believe Havana closer Jose A. Garcia also set a new career saves record with 112.
          Additionally, Yulieski González (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...ieski_Gonzalez) set a new record for consecutive wins. For a list of record setters, standings and league leaders, see http://www.baseball-reference.com/bu...ational_League

          Comment


          • is there a Cuban MLB?
            “Tomorrow, 7:05 p.m., we've got to take care of business.” - A-Rod

            Comment


            • Pinar del Rio Green Sox vs Santiago de Cuba Wasps will play for the Cuban crown.


              Best Green Sox players:

              RHP Pedro Lazo
              RHP Yuniesky Maya
              RHP Vladimir Banos
              OF Juan Padron
              C Yosvany Peraza


              Best Wasps players:

              RHP Norge Vera
              RHP Yaumier Sanchez
              RHP Renier Riobal
              RHP Osmel Cintra
              RHP Alberto Biscet
              2B Hector Olivera
              1B Jose Julio Ruiz
              OF Alexei Bell


              Santiago de Cuba should win again.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ben10027 View Post
                is there a Cuban MLB?
                Check the cuban defector thread.

                Comment


                • The Wasps swept the Green Sox.

                  Comment


                  • The Cuban hitters in the last 4 SN:

                    http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/2008/05...s/artic02.html

                    Comment


                    • These are the players named to pre-selection for the Olympics:


                      R: Rolando Meriño, Yosvani Peraza, Eriel Sánchez, Ariel Pestano, Osvaldo Arias and Yenier Bello.

                      1B: Alexander Malleta, José Julio Ruiz and Yoandy Garlobo.

                      2B: Héctor Olivera and Yoilán Cerce.

                      3B: Yulieski Gourriel, Michel Enríquez and Ronnier Mustelier.

                      SS: Eduardo Paret, Luis Miguel Navas and Yadir Mujica.

                      OF: Alexei Bell, Giorvis Duvergel, Yoandry Urgellés, Frederich Cepeda, Yoennis Céspedes, Alfredo Despaigne, Osmani Urrutia and Leonis Martín.

                      P: Pedro L. Lazo, Yunieski Maya, Norge L. Vera, Jonder Martínez, Yulieski González, Yadier Pedroso, Aroldis Chapman, Vladimir García, Elier Sánchez, Ismel Jiménez, Adiel Palma, Luis M. Rodríguez, Vicyohandri Odelín, Norberto González, Alberto Bicet, Yoelkis Cruz, Ian Rendón and Miguel Lahera.

                      Manager: Antonio Pacheco.
                      Last edited by Cubano100%; 05-12-2008, 03:32 PM.

                      Comment


                      • The below are some excluded players that finished with better numbers than some in the pre-selection:

                        YOELVIS FISS, CF-CIEGO DE ÁVILA
                        LESLIE ANDERSON, CF-CAMAGÜEY
                        ERNESTO MOLINET, 2B-HABANA
                        KENEN BAILLY, LF-GUANTÁNAMO
                        ADONIS GARCÍA, Infielder-CIEGO DE ÁVILA
                        YOANIS NEGRÍN, RHP-MATANZAS
                        SERGIO F. ESPINOSA, LHP-ISLA DE LA JUVENTUD Save leader
                        YADEL MARTÍ, RP-INDUSTRIALES
                        ALEXANDER RODRÍGUEZ, RP-GUANTÁNAMO
                        YULIET LÓPEZ, RHP-VILLA CLARA


                        http://www.radiococo.cu/cocobeisbol/.../excluidos.htm
                        Last edited by Cubano100%; 05-13-2008, 07:30 AM.

                        Comment


                        • 1B Joan Carlos Pedroso from Las Tunas was left off from the pre-selection too.

                          Comment


                          • Usually, the Cuban baseball people do not put the best team. This is more relevant in the pitching front. They select mostly starters for the National team and do not take relievers. When Cuba has to face one of the better teams internationally, they get into trouble. They bring one starter to relieve with the same characteristics as the pitcher who started the game instead of bringing a guy like Alexander Rodriguez from Guantanamo. Rodriguez is suited for the setup role because he throws hard.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Cubano100% View Post
                              Usually, the Cuban baseball people do not put the best team. This is more relevant in the pitching front. They select mostly starters for the National team and do not take relievers. When Cuba has to face one of the better teams internationally, they get into trouble. They bring one starter to relieve with the same characteristics as the pitcher who started the game instead of bringing a guy like Alexander Rodriguez from Guantanamo. Rodriguez is suited for the setup role because he throws hard.
                              This is an interesting point. What is the reason they don't bring the best team is it because of fear of defections? You are right, Rodriguez is a hard thrower reminds me of another Rodriguez here in Anaheim. Pedroso is an extraordinary slugger but I think they got first base pretty much cover with their selections.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by superculov View Post
                                This is an interesting point. What is the reason they don't bring the best team is it because of fear of defections? You are right, Rodriguez is a hard thrower reminds me of another Rodriguez here in Anaheim. Pedroso is an extraordinary slugger but I think they got first base pretty much cover with their selections.

                                Some have to do with fear of defections, but it is mainly their short sight about the role of the reliever in modern baseball.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X