X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cubano100%
    • Nov 2005

Cuban Baseball Structure

The two most important leagues in Cuba are the National League and the Super League.

The National League

It starts on November and ends in April. It consists of 90 games. All teams play each other. There are 16 teams.

The first places in each groups advance to the playoff. The two teams with the best records advances to the playoffs too. So you may have one group having 3 teams in the playoffs and one group having just one. The team with the best record plays the team with the worst record among the two non first place teams. Ex: In the 44 Cuban National Series, Pinar del Rio was the only team from Group 1 that advanced to the playoff. In Group 2, Industriales, Havana and Santi Spiritus advanced.

Winners play for the league championship.
    The winner of each league play for the Cuban crown.

Current champion: Las Avispas de Santiago de Cuba (Wasps)
    Second place: Los Vaqueros de la Havana (Cowboys)
    Bold below indicates favorites.

The National league is divided in two: West and East

West League:

Group 1

Los Toronjeros de la Isla de La Juventud (Grapefruit Croppers) "Livan Hernandez(Nationals), Ariel Prieto(Marlins AAA)

[I]Los Vegueros de Pinar del Rio (Cigar Makers)[/I] "Contreras(Chicago), Baez(Tampa), Soler(Mets), Yobal Duenas (Yanks AA)"

Los Cocodrilos de Matanza (Cocodriles) "Oropeza (Orioles AAA), Michel Abreu"

Los Guerreros Metropolitanos (Metropolitan Warriors) "Rey Ordonez", Rafael Galvizo(Marlins A), Jose Cordero(Twins A)

Group 2

[I]Los Leones de Industriales (Havana Lions)[/I] The New York Yankees of Cuba! " Orlando Hernadez(White Sox), Kendry Morales(Angels), Adrian Hernandez, Barbaro Canizares, Rene Arocha"

Los Camaroneros de Cienfuegos (Shrimps) (Adiel Palma)

Los Gallos de Santi Spiritus (Roosters) Yulieski Gourriel, Frederich Cepeda and Eriel Sanchez (Cuba)

Los Vaqueros de la Havana (Cowboys) " Raul Valdez(Cubs AAA), Vladimir Nunez (Indians AAA), Andy Morales

East League

Group 3

Los Naranjas de Villa Clara (Orange Growers)) "Yuniesky Betancourt(Mariners), Zaidel Beltran(Yanks A), Jorge Toca (White Sox AAA), Rolando Arrojo"

Los Alfareros de Camaguey(Ceramists) "Arian Cruz (Reds AA)" [url]

Los Tigres de Ciego de Avila (Tigers)

Los Magos de las Tunas (Magicians) "Osmani Urrutia" (Cuba)

Group 4

[I]Los Alazanes de Gramma (Sorrels)

Las Avispas de Santiago de Cuba (Wasps)

Los Sabuesos de Holguin(Hounds)

Los Indios de Guantanamo (Indians)

Cuban Super League

Runs from April to May after the National league. The Super league only has 4 teams: Occidentales (Westeners), Havana, Centrales (Centrals) and Orientales (Easteners). It consists of 30 games. Players from this league are eligible for "The Cuban National team".
    Any of these 4 teams can win and loose against any MLB teams.

Occidentales gets players from Isla de La Juventud Grapefruit Croppers, Pinar del Rio Cigar Makers and Matanza Cocodriles.

Havana gets players from Industriales Lions, Havana Cowboys and Metropolitanos Warriors.

Centrales gets players from Cienfuegos Shrimps, Villa Clara Orange Growers, Camaguey Ceramists, Santi Spiritus Roosters and Ciego de Avila Tigers.

Orientales gets their players from Las Tunas Magicians, Gramma Sorrels, Santiago de Cuba Wasps, Holguin Hounds and Guantanamo Indians.

Other Leagues

All teams are represented in the junior categories with one team. Every category has a national tournaments. The following are the different categories in Cuban baseball:

Category 9-10 years old
    Category 11-12 years old
    Category 13-14 years old
    Category 15-16 years old
    Category Junior

Provincial:
    Every province in Cuba has their own championship tournament before the start of The National League.

Developmental League:
    Runs after the Provincial leagues and before the National League. It is where young prospects polish their skills. Cuba has 14 provinces and one municipality. Havana, the capital, have two teams. Therefore, there are 16 teams. Players from this league don't have to much of a chance to make the roster from their respective province. This league ends at the beginning on November.
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 04-24-2006, 12:59 AM. Reason: Consolidated some information
  • Licey Fan
    Licey: DR Glory
    • May 2005

very interesting information... i didn't know all that
    Licey campeón today and always!

Comment

• El Nino Linares
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Cubano100%
      Developmental League:

Runs before the National League where young prospect pullish their skills. Cuba has 14 provinces and one municipality. Havana, the capital, have two teams. Therefore, there are 16 teams. Players from this league don't have to much of a chance to make the roster from their respective province. This league ends at the beginning on November.

The National League

It starts on November 19 and ends in April. It consists of 90 games. All teams play each other. There are 16 teams.

The first place in group 1 plays the second place in group 2. The first place in group 2 plays the second place in group 1. The same happens with group 3 and 4.
      Winners play for the league championship.
      The winner of each league play for the Cuban crown.

Current champion: Las Avispas de Santiago de Cuba (Bees)
      Second place: Los Vaqueros de la Havana (Cowboys)
      Bold below indicates favorites.

West League:

Group 1

Isla de La Juventud "Livan Hernandez(Nationals), Ariel Prieto(Marlins AAA)

[I]Los Vegueros de Pinar del Rio (Cigar Growers)[/I] "Contreras(Chicago), Baez(Tampa), Soler(Mets), Yobal Duenas (Yanks AA)"

Los Cocodrilos de Matanza (Cocodriles) "Oropeza (OriolesAAA), Michel Abreu"

Los Guerreros Metropolitanos (Metropolitan Warriors) "Rey Ordonez", Rafael Galvizo(Marlins A), Jose Cordero(Twins A)

Group 2

[I]Los Leones de Industriales (Havana Lions)[/I] The New York Yankees of Cuba! " Orlando Hernadez(White Sox), Kendry Morales(Angels), Adrian Hernandez, Barbaro Canizares, Rene Arocha"

Los Elefantes de Cienfuegos (Elephants)

Los Gallos de Santi Spiritus (Roosters)

Los Vaqueros de la Havana (Cowboys) " Raul Valdez(Cubs AAA), Vladimir Nunez (Indians AAA), Andy Morales

East League

Group 3

Los Naranjas de Villa Clara (Orange colored) "Yuniesky Betancourt(Mariners), Zaidel Beltran(Yanks A), Jorge Toca (White Sox AAA), Rolando Arrojo"

Los Tinajones de Camaguey(Tinajon picture) "Arian Cruz (Reds AA)" http://www.cubaxp.com/modules/bamaga...titreA-12.html

Los Pineros de Ciego de Avila (Pineaple Growers)

Los Caneros de las Tunas (Sugar Cane Croppers)

Group 4

Los Alazanes de Gramma ( Horses)

Las Avispas de Santiago de Cuba (Bees)

Holguin

Guantanamo

Cuban Super League

Runs from April to May. Only 4 teams: Occidentales (Westeners), Havana, Centrales (Central) and Orientales (Easteners). It consists of 30 games. Players from this league are eligible for "The Cuban National team".
      Any of these 4 teams can win and lose against any MLB teams.

Occidentales gets players from Isla de La Juventud, Los Vegueros de Pinar del Rio and Los Cocodrilos de Matanza.

Havana gets players from Los Leones de Industriales, Los Vaqueros de la Havana and Los Guerreros Metropolitanos.

Centrales gets players from Cienfuegos, Los Naranjas de Villa Clara, Los Tinajones de Camaguey and Los Pineros de Ciego de Avila.

Orientales gets their players from Los Caneros de las Tunas, Los Alazanes de Gramma, Las Avispas de Santiago de Cuba, Holguin and Guantanamo.
      I have read several of your posts toward cuban baseball and you are absolutely correct in alot of the things you say.... You really know your cuban baseball... Just to back up what you said that the backbone of black baseball in the 20s was cubans....

Comment

• Cubano100%
        • Nov 2005

El Nino Linares

Let's go Cuban nation?

I am glad you came on board. Go to the World Baseball Classic thread and read all the comments. I have been fighting the following people alone: a Mexican fan, Honus Warner, Ichiro51, a Venezuelan fan and in a less degree the Licey Fan.

I started reading their comments and they don't give us a chance to do anything in the BWC next year. I know Castro is not going to send a team. But they do not know anything about Cuban baseball.

Comment

• El Nino Linares
          • Nov 2005

Listen i am new at this but i was reading that same thread b4 I joined... I am ready to battle any of these mexicans, dominicans, and ricans.... The foundation of caribean baseball was in Cuba they used to try out pitchers, and/or players.... And the truth is that we have a line of players this year that should be joining the Hall of Fame....

Comment

• El Nino Linares
            • Nov 2005

Let's go Cuban nation?

I am glad you came on board. Go to the World Baseball Classic thread and read all the comments. I have been fighting the following people alone: a Mexican fan, Honus Warner, Ichiro51, a Venezuelan fan and in a less degree the Licey Fan.

I started reading their comments and they don't give us a chance to do anything in the BWC next year. I know Castro is not going to send a team. But they do not know anything about Cuban baseball.
            You are absolutely correct that Castro isnt sending a team but if he does he will send the scrubbs and those can also kick ass because they have nothing to lose and they play baseball the way it was meant to be played smart not by hitting homeruns....

Comment

• caribeño
              • May 2005

Let's go Cuban nation?

Cubano and Niño :
              Is this the Caribbean and International baseball war ?
              Undoubtebly Cubano you are the most informed hispano i ever read here , and also there are some of our hispanos brothers who know nothing and to top it are fanatics , but why do we have to fight among us ?
              I see Licey Fan giving a great service here in terms of the Dominican League
              and , i started today a series of writing about the baseball in Puerto Rico .
              I know you are not including me , and that you almost excluded Licey , but , Why don't you ignore the ignorants ? Or at least , teach 'em .
              Saludos mi gente .

Comment

• El Nino Linares
                • Nov 2005

The thing is that these people are someone in the majors now bc when Cuba was able to let their players go to the majors and even had scouts in Cuba no one heard of anyone that was even remotely good other than the great Roberto Clemente everyone else was Cuban.... There is a Cuban in the Hall of Fame that never played in the majors Martin Dihigo... He played every position and pitched... And bc he was black couldnt ever play in the majors....Like him many more will come into the Hall in a couple of years...

Comment

• Cubano100%
                  • Nov 2005

Cuban National League

The current champ, The Santiago de Cuba Wasps opened the National League series with a win against the runner up La Havana Cowboys.

Teams R H E
                  Cowboys 4 8 0
                  Wasps 10 14 1

W: Danny Betancourt
                  L: Yulieski González
                  HR: Juan Carlos Linares
                  Last edited by Cubano100%; 12-02-2005, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Cuba_fan
                    • Oct 2005

Hi all,

So finally good news, Cuba will join the WBC!!! Great . Cubano100% nice to learn all about the cuban baseball...thanks!!

Any news on how Los Gallos de Santi Spiritus are doing?

greetings

Comment

• Dutch Girl
                      Dutchie
                      • Sep 2005

Originally Posted by Cubano100%
                      Let's go Cuban nation?
                      I could not agree more! I saw Cuba play at the World Championship in Holland and they won easily.

Thanks Cubano100% for explaining the leagues in Cuba. A bit complicated though.........If you can post an update on the competition in Cuba once in a while, that would be great.

I will definitely go for Cuba as a winner of the WBC! And to make sure they do, me and a friend will go to PR to support them (I don't know if that makes any difference, but hey, let's just say we are going to try!!!).

Keep up the information, greetings, Dutch girl

Comment

• Cubano100%
                        • Nov 2005

In group 1, Pinar del Río and Isla de la Juventud are the leaders.

In group 2, Industriales is the leader with 6 wins and 3 loses.

In group 3, Villa Clara is first with 8 wins and 1 loss. Santi Spiritus beat them once.

In group 4, Holguín and Santiago de Cuba are tied in first place.

Leaders:

Hrs: Yunieski Gourriel (4) Santi Spiritus, Juan Carlos Pedroso (4) Las Tunas, Dayan Viciedo(3) Villa Clara

Wins: Lázaro Pausa (3) Las Tunas
                        Robelio Carrillo(2) Villa Clara
                        Yosvani Pérez(2) Cienfuegos
                        Raidel Hernández(2) Pinar del Rio
                        Yousel Aguilar(2) Matanzas

Comment

• orly
                          • Nov 2005

Juan Carlos Linares

Just an aclaration:
                          Juan Carlos Linares playing for Havana Cowboys is not Omar Linares' brother.
                          He was a co-player while Junior with Kendry Morales.
                          Omar Linares' brother get retired this year(although not officially, I think)

Regards,

Comment

• Cubano100%
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by orly
                            Just an aclaration:
                            Juan Carlos Linares playing for Havana Cowboys is not Omar Linares' brother.
                            He was a co-player while Junior with Kendry Morales.
                            Omar Linares' brother get retired this year(although not officially, I think)

Regards,

Thanks for the correction. You should post on this thread too. It looks like you left Cuba after me. So you should know more about current players.

Comment

• Cubano100%
                              • Nov 2005

Orly, lets talk about Cuban 3bs

Best 3bs in Cuba during the 1990s:

1. Omar Linares
                              2. Gabriel Pierre
                              3. Lazaro Vargas
                              4. Miguel Caldes
                              5. Andy Morales (Maybe)

How old was Andy Morales when he defected? It sure showed how good scouts the Yankees have.

Don't you agree that Omar Linares and Grabiel Pierre would have been stars in the Major leagues? How about number 3 and 4 in my list? Certainly, the would have been in the majors at some point.

How about Danys Baez?

There have been rumors the Braves are interested in acquiring Danys Baez. But two different players and one scout have said the Devil Rays closer is a one-pitch pitcher who wouldn't be a good fit with a playoff contender like Atlanta.

The official website of the Atlanta Braves with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets, and team news.

If he has more than 100 saves in the majors with one pitch, don't you think many Cuban pitchers back home have the stuff to make it.

Was Yuniesky Betancourt in any of the Cuban junior teams or Cuba B? Betancourt is alone in this country. He does not have anybody besides his fellow defector Zaidel Beltran. Betancourt came from the Mexican streets to AA to AAA to the big show in just one year.

What is your take on Juan Miguel Miranda and Ayalen Ortiz?

The Cuban junior teams have dominated International competitions against other countries best players. Don't you think many of these players are Major League caliber type players down the road?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X