X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cubano100% View Post
    Agente, this is what I think.

If you compare Alexei's number in Cuba with other defectors (Escobar, Betancourt), his numbers are way better. He should do well in AA, AAA and MLB. Maybe MLB teams want to sign the next Mr. Universe, but there are players in MLB that are not physical specimens. Here there are a few of them C. Counsel, J. Pierre, D. Eckstein, S. Taguchi, etc.
    Right, but at what position? And for how many guaranteed dollars upfront?

I'm sure every MLB team would be thrilled to sign Ramirez. I'm not saying otherwise. But when his agent is asking for Hideki Matsui dollars, or more, for a 26-year-old player with no clear position, it's not a surprise that most teams are saying, "No, thanks."

Comment

• He is asking for Kaz Matsui, Shinjo, Taguchi dollars. He can play CF, LF and
      2B. I am sure if a team has an emergency at SS in a given game, he can cover there too. Wouldn't you love to have a guy who can play several positions at least as an utlity?

The scouts are saying he is good defensively at CF. MLB wants cheap labor with the Cubans not now but always through the history of the game.

What are the Marlins doing?

They do not have a CF for years and now if they move Dan Uggla to 3B won't have a 2B either. This is the perfect market for Cubans.

West coast teams always go for Mexican and Japanese players because it makes sense for them. I can't stand this Marlins. They are going to fill another AA/AAA team and sell it as an MLB team.

Comment

• By the way, former big leaguer Ariel Prieto was quoted in the book Confesiones Mas Alla del Dugout that the Japanese league has a policy of not signing Cuban defectors. I am with him on this claim. It is beyond my believe that Cuban hitters are paid pennies by MLB teams (Michel Abreu, Barbaro Canizares, Amaury Cazanas, etc) and they hit well in AA and AAA. If AAA players go to Japan and increase their power numbers, Cubans hitters that have done well in AAA should do well in Japan. Besides, a Cuban player in Japan should increase ratings due to our rivalry in international competitions. Therefore, a Japanese team could come with a 1 million offer to a Cuban player receiving pennies from MLB and go across continents.

Japan policy is reminiscing of MLB policy toward Cubans a few years back.

Comment

He is asking for Kaz Matsui, Shinjo, Taguchi dollars. He can play CF, LF and
          2B. I am sure if a team has an emergency at SS in a given game, he can cover there too. Wouldn't you love to have a guy who can play several positions at least as an utlity?
          From what his agent has been saying, they are asking for Hideki/Kaz Matsui money. As for Shinjo and Taguchi, they signed for much, much less than that; maybe $3 million for Shinjo and $1 or $2 million for Taguchi.

As for your discussion of Ramirez's ability, that's precisely why MLB teams are not going crazy for Ramirez: No team is ever going to invest millions and millions of upfront, guaranteed dollars in a player who has no clear position. Utility players in MLB usually make $1 or $2 million per year on a one-year contract; not $7 million per year for three or four years.

The scouts are saying he is good defensively at CF. MLB wants cheap labor with the Cubans not now but always through the history of the game.
          MLB teams certainly want "cheap labor," but we don't even know what teams are offering Ramirez, so it's too early to bash them. The bottom line is, the guy is 26 years old, he's frail, and he has no clear position.

They do not have a CF for years and now if they move Dan Uggla to 3B won't have a 2B either. This is the perfect market for Cubans.
          It depends on the player. For some, it could be good, but for others, the whole Cuban-player-in-Miami might be too overwhelming.

I can't stand this Marlins. They are going to fill another AA/AAA team and sell it as an MLB team.
          Ha ha ... No argument there. Jeffrey Loria is one of the worst owners in MLB history. He should be in prison for all the revenue-sharing money he steals from his team.

Originally posted by Cubano100% View Post
          By the way, former big leaguer Ariel Prieto was quoted in the book Confesiones Mas Alla del Dugout that the Japanese league has a policy of not signing Cuban defectors. ...
          This is true. Japanese teams will not sign Cuban defectors under any circumstances. I believe the Japanese Leagues and/or the government of Japan has an agreement(s) with Cuba about this. It's shameful, but no one ever says anything about it.

Comment

• Texas Rangers signed LHP Yennier Sardinas to a minor league contract. Sardinas was a poor hitter in Cuba and now is trying to make it as a pitcher. These are his numbers as a hitter in Cuba.

Code:
            Series	AB	H	AVE	2B	3B	HR	SLU	RBI	BB	K	Fielding AVE
            3	66	14	212	0	 0	1	 258	2	 3	27	989

Comment

• Agente:

Alexei Ramirez is a good CF. Already, some scouts have said they were impress by his defensive abilities in CF.

Comment

If AAA players go to Japan and increase their power numbers,
                That's quite incorrect. Many AAA players do far worse in Japan. See Mitch Jones, Andy Green, Adam Hyzdu or any of the other busts who pass Japan through every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post

This is true. Japanese teams will not sign Cuban defectors under any circumstances. I believe the Japanese Leagues and/or the government of Japan has an agreement(s) with Cuba about this. It's shameful, but no one ever says anything about it.
                  I remember Agente brought this up long time ago.
                  Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
                  Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
                  Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Comment

• Originally posted by Mischa View Post
                    That's quite incorrect. Many AAA players do far worse in Japan. See Mitch Jones, Andy Green, Adam Hyzdu or any of the other busts who pass Japan through every year.

Lets research this topic. The following players have increased their power numbers going from AAA to Japan.

2007 Japanese team rosters

Gregory Mark LaRocca
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...-larocca.shtml

Alex Cabrera
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...-Cabrera.shtml

Karl Derrick Rhodes
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...l-Rhodes.shtml

Alex Ochoa
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ex-Ochoa.shtml

Super veteran Damon Hollins maintained his power numbers http://<br /> http://www.thebasebal...-Hollins.shtml

Tyrone Woods
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...-Woods-1.shtml

Jose Ortiz
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...se-Ortiz.shtml

Benny Agbayani
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Agbayani.shtml

Jose Fernandez
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ernandez.shtml

Jose Lopez and Rich Short played in Japan in 2007 too. Short did not do bad.

Japanese in AAA

Kaz Matsui was a slugger in Japan. How about in AAA?
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...o-Matsui.shtml

Norihiro Nakamura lost power coming to AAA from Japan.
                    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Nakamura.shtml
                    Last edited by Cubano100%; 12-15-2007, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Texas Rangers signed LHP Yennier Sardinas to a minor league contract. ...
                      Man, that guy defected almost FOUR years ago and hasn't, to my knowledge, played anywhere since 2005. Last I heard, he was screwing around as a reggaeton singer in Miami.

(That said, he does have a strong arm, although he also has an injury history that's probably the reason he hasn't played in several years.)

Originally posted by Cubano100% View Post
                      Agente:

Alexei Ramirez is a good CF. Already, some scouts have said they were impress by his defensive abilities in CF.
                      Again, no argument from me that Ramirez is a very good player. The only argument is how much money to guarantee a very skinny, if not frail, 26-year-old who probably won't have much power in MLB.

Comment

• These numbers are easy to beat for Alexi Ramirez.
                        http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ck-Punto.shtml

He made this:
                        2007 Salary: $1,800,000

Comment

• In other news, the New York Daily News, in a one- or two-sentence note, reported that Michel Abreu's papers are finally in order and he can resume playing pro ball in 2008.

Comment

• Hopes not too late for him h
                            Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
                            Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
                            Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Comment

• Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
                              I was just going through some old emails and found this sentence in an email from an official of a Japanese team in response to my inquiry about signing Cuban defectors:

The general policy is that [the] application should be accompanied by the approval of the Cuban government if he is still [a] Cuban national.
                              Simply stated, the Japanese Leagues don't recognize a Cuban's right to emigrate from Cuba. It's shameful.

Comment

• "In other news, the New York Daily News, in a one- or two-sentence note, reported that Michel Abreu's papers are finally in order and he can resume playing pro ball in 2008."

Hey, trying to keep you guys abreast of where Abreu stands in the Mets org. In still other news, Omar Minaya shortly afterward announced that Abreu would likely NOT be ready for the 2008 season (he named him along with Juan Padilla, Duaner Sanchez, and I think Fernando Martinez). I'm not sure what this means, although judging from what I know of the two pitchers (Padilla was non-tendered but will likely be brought back on a Minor League contract), it means due to mitigating factors, he'll either be kept at the same Minor League level and not moved up at the beginning of the season OR start the season in short-season A or rookie ball. Padilla will probably be the AAA closer due to his having missed 2 full years due to injury. F-Mart would probably stay in Binghamton or drop to St. Lucie due to his hand injury/the Mets being careful with him. Since Abreu missed a full year, despite playing in extended ST, they may want to reacclamate him to Minor League pitching (at Savannah or St. Lucie) and then move him up mid-season.
                                "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
                                -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X