Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is why I liked the idea of signing Gomez or Marti rather than anyone else. They are both older guys that have been around a lot longer, playing under pressure, and neither would be a full time starter on the team. Marti has proven that he can keep his cool under the hottest lights before. Also, please correct me if Im wrong, but wouldnt a young guy go straight into the minors, where the team could evaluate if he can be a good player or not. I just think that they have to do something to get people into the seats, and most cubans would if not anything else be intrigued to see one of their own. I just think that there are plenty of cheap options for them to sign and keep in the minors untill absolutely sure that they can come up and perform. I think that in they eyes of the fans it would be better to try and fail than to not try at all. Please comment on what you all think

Comment

• RHP Yadel Marti continued his impressive Dominican campaign today. I also have a video from SS Yadil Mujica who is a free agent.

http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com...xt-alexei.html

Comment

• Originally posted by emanuelsaavedra View Post
        That is why I liked the idea of signing Gomez or Marti rather than anyone else. They are both older guys that have been around a lot longer, playing under pressure, and neither would be a full time starter on the team. ...
        The problem with this idea is what I mentioned above: If the Marlins sign fringe Cuban players like Marti or Gomez and then have to release them because of poor performance, the Cuban community won't be happy with the team.

If the Marlins are going to sign Cuban players, their best bets would be older guys like Danys Baez or Contreras (the 2002 version; not the 2009 version) *or* younger guys who are definite major league players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
          The problem with this idea is what I mentioned above: If the Marlins sign fringe Cuban players like Marti or Gomez and then have to release them because of poor performance, the Cuban community won't be happy with the team.

If the Marlins are going to sign Cuban players, their best bets would be older guys like Danys Baez or Contreras (the 2002 version; not the 2009 version) *or* younger guys who are definite major league players.
          Wouldn't Marti qualify as an older guy (30) who is non-fringe? He routinely was in the top 10 in ERA in Cuba and was a frequent national team member.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mischa View Post
            Wouldn't Marti qualify as an older guy (30) who is non-fringe? He routinely was in the top 10 in ERA in Cuba and was a frequent national team member.
            My amigo "Cubano" might hate me for saying this, but in my opinion, Marti is solidly in the "fringe" category. His last 2-3 years in Cuba were mediocre and injury-plagued, and while his ERA in the D.R. winter league is OK, he's only struck out 5 in 19.2 innings, for a K/9 rate of 2.25. (It's generally accepted that a K/9 rate of 6 or greater is needed to succeed in MLB.)

From what I can tell, there's almost no MLB interest in Marti. (And it appears Marti is getting desperate. If you look at the Licey Tigers' site, Marti and/or the Tigers are lying about his age now. His DOB is listed as 1984 instead of 1979.)

Marti is another guy who left way too late. He would have gotten $10 million or more right after the 2006 WBC, but now he'll be lucky to even appear in an ML game, let alone make millions.

Comment

• Didn't the Marlins sign Orestes Destrade back when they were first an expansion team?

Comment

• I believe so, but I also believe he left Cuba as a child. Livan is the biggest-name Cuban with the Marlins and, in some ways, it might be his fault the Marlins are so gun-shy with Cubans. If Livan had been a little more mature, we might be seeing more Cuban players with Florida.

Comment

• Noel Arguelles video
                  http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com...hirteenth.html

Comment

I believe so, but I also believe he left Cuba as a child. Livan is the biggest-name Cuban with the Marlins and, in some ways, it might be his fault the Marlins are so gun-shy with Cubans. If Livan had been a little more mature, we might be seeing more Cuban players with Florida.
                    Well, I really hate to make it sound like I am chirping on the same topic, its just that I am actually a big marlins fan, back from 97. Even though Livan was immature, you also have to take into account, how passionate cubans were about the marlins back then, and there were less "new cubans" back in Miami back then that knew him from his days in Cuba. I just think that the Marlins are a good team and on the brink of the playoffs. If they can get a player that people can recognize back from Cuba and that would draw them to the stadium, I think that the Marlins would see a lot more people in that field. Incidentally, I think a good signing for them would be Contreras. I mean the guy was as big as you can get in Cuba, also, he comes for a cheap price, and you dont have to wait for him to get adjusted to life in the states. Besides, maybe the ambiance in Miami, can put his head back in the game. If he can get a decent season going (10-15 W, ERA less or in the low 4.00) I think he would get the city rocking. What do you all think of that idea?

Comment

• Is it just me or has the pace of Cuban defections increased? And if it has increased, is it because more players want to leave or because it is getting easier to do so?

Just in the last year, we have former national team outfielder Yasser Gómez, 2008-2009 triples leader Rudy Silva, former national pitcher Dennis Suárez, 2007-2008 saves leader Sergio Espinosa, 2007-2008 All-Star shortstop Yadil Mujica, productive 2B Adalberto Ibarra, national team pitcher Yuniesky Maya, 2006-2007 hit leader Jorge Padrón, "B" national team infielder Rafael Valdés, sometimes national team player Leslie Anderson, national team pitcher Aroldis Chapman and 2006-2007 slugging leader Juan Carlos Linares. I can't recall any group like that in any prior year - heck, that's better than all of the 1990s perhaps.

Comment

• The pace of defections has massively increased over the past two years but the pace of signings has massively decreased. By my count, something like 40 Cuban National Series players have left the island since 2008, and only Dayan Viciedo and Jose Iglesias have managed to sign contracts. All of the others are languishing without papers and/or contracts.

Comment

The pace of defections has massively increased over the past two years but the pace of signings has massively decreased. By my count, something like 40 Cuban National Series players have left the island since 2008, and only Dayan Viciedo and Jose Iglesias have managed to sign contracts. All of the others are languishing without papers and/or contracts.
                          Could this be because it is now harder to get papers in a third country? I mean long gone are the days when Joe Cubas could take his clients to Costa Rica and have papers within weeks.
                          Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
                          Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
                          Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Comment

• Originally posted by J.P View Post
                            Could this be because it is now harder to get papers in a third country? I mean long gone are the days when Joe Cubas could take his clients to Costa Rica and have papers within weeks.
                            It's harder, but that THAT much harder. The problem is that all of the knuckleheads representing Cuban players these days believe the D.R. is the one and only place to take Cuban players, and the D.R. takes forever to issue papers (and is corrupt to the core, as well).

Comment

• I saw in Peter Bjarkman's column at baseballdecuba that Cuba has basically stopped night games due to inability to pay for the electricity. If the economic situation is that bad, I wonder if players are being paid less, leading to more defections.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mischa View Post
                                I saw in Peter Bjarkman's column at baseballdecuba that Cuba has basically stopped night games due to inability to pay for the electricity. If the economic situation is that bad, I wonder if players are being paid less, leading to more defections.
                                Besides the russian cars/apartments and couple of dollars long time national team members get from time to time, players NEVER got paid much (I mean I'm sure you are aware they get paid for their "occupation" not for playing baseball), and I mean, even if they lowered their salaries, lets say by 50-100 cuban pesos, which are basically worthless to begin with, is not a big enough reason for them to wanna defect. I think these players are just part of the new/younger generation of Cubans, and this generation has grown up in the misery and with only one goal in their minds: to leave Cuba.
                                Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
                                Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
                                Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X