This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mischa View Post
    Is it just me or has the pace of Cuban defections increased? And if it has increased, is it because more players want to leave or because it is getting easier to do so?

Just in the last year, we have former national team outfielder Yasser Gómez, 2008-2009 triples leader Rudy Silva, former national pitcher Dennis Suárez, 2007-2008 saves leader Sergio Espinosa, 2007-2008 All-Star shortstop Yadil Mujica, productive 2B Adalberto Ibarra, national team pitcher Yuniesky Maya, 2006-2007 hit leader Jorge Padrón, "B" national team infielder Rafael Valdés, sometimes national team player Leslie Anderson, national team pitcher Aroldis Chapman and 2006-2007 slugging leader Juan Carlos Linares. I can't recall any group like that in any prior year - heck, that's better than all of the 1990s perhaps.

This new wave of players have the below in their favor versus the 1990's players.

1. Most of them are younger
    2. Many have talent
    3. All have played only with wooden bats
    4. Some players from the 1990's are now training and showing the way to the new ones. Ex: Jorge Toca

You will see many of these guys having decent MLB careers.

Cuban players finally have opened their eyes. There is no future for any Cuban with the current government. If any country close in proximity to Cuba says "Cubans are welcome to our country" even the Cuban crocodiles unique to Cuba will defect. In addition, the success and money earned by recent Cubans will make more leave the island.

I want to see Cespedes, Despaigne, Bell, Vlad Garcia, Jose Abreu, Cerce, Olivera, Gourriel leave.
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 11-25-2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• Mustelier leadoff HR
      http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com...ighteenth.html

Comment

• LHP Noel Arguelles just signed with the Kansas City Royals. Source is MLB Trade Rumors.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

• MLB.com artikel about Chapman
          http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
          The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

• If anyone wants to see some Chapman's videos, here is the link.
            http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com...in-tryout.html

Comment

• A Question and Answer Session with Mr. Carlos Pérez, President of Baseball Operations at United Sports

http://cubanballplayers.blogspot.com...n-with-mr.html

Comment

• Why is Chapman taking so long to sign?

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard View Post
                  Why is Chapman taking so long to sign?

here some info http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
                  The only thing you know is you never know and that you know for sure!

Comment

• Cincy was a shock.

Comment

• Is Chapman worth twice as much as Stephen Strasburg? I somehow doubt that.
                      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                        Is Chapman worth twice as much as Stephen Strasburg? I somehow doubt that.
                        I could see Chapman flopping miserably - he was never in the top 10 in ERA in Cuba, unlike guys like Alay Soler who sucked in the USA. On the other hand, he is the hardest thrower in Cuban history and has shown a lot of potential. If he solves his control problems, he could be like other hard-throwing lefties with early-career wildness like Sandy Koufax and Randy Johnson. I can see why a team is willing to take the gamble - and why some other teams weren't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                          Is Chapman worth twice as much as Stephen Strasburg? I somehow doubt that.
                          Prolly not, but Chapman was a FA who was negotiating with a few teams, thus a bidding war raises his prize. Strasburg only had the option of negotiating with the Nats.
                          Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
                          Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
                          Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Comment

• Incidentally, Chapman's contract is so backloaded that it's probably worth more like $20 million rather than the reported $30 million. In other words, Strasburg will have $15 million in his bank account long before Chapman.

Comment

• Just curious. Why do so many Cuban baseball players first names start with the letter Y?

Comment

• Former Cuban national team member Michel Abreu (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Michel_Abreu) was named Puerto Rican League MVP. Abreu led the league in homers, slugging, RBI, walks (tied) and OPS.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X