List of Players confirmed in the WBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Players confirmed in the WBC

I made this list as a reference to who has been either officially (MLB.com report) or unofficially (a ESPN, SI article etc.) confirmed to be in the WBC.

I'll update this as more stuff becomes available:

USA:
    Barry Bonds (MLB.com report, amongst others)
    Dontrelle Willis (MLB.com report)
    Roger Clemens (Sports Illustrated report by Tom Verducci shortly after game 1of the World Series)

Puerto Rico:
    Carlos Delgado (MLB.com report)
    Ivan Rodriguez (MLB.com report)
    Javier Vazquez (MLB.com report)
    Joel Pineiro (CBS sportsline report)
    J.C. Romero (CBS Sportsline report)
    Juan Padilla (CBS Sportsline report)
    Carlos Beltran (Inferred, as he was at the ASG news conference)

Dominican Republic:
    Pedro Martinez (ESPN.com report, but only if his toe heals)
    Miguel Tejada (ESPN.com report, also, he was the DR rep at the official announcement of the tournament at the All-star break)
    Albert Pujols (Stanley Javier)
    Jose Mesa (Stanley Javier)

Venezuela:
    Freddy Garcia (ESPN.com report)

Japan:
    Ichiro (MLB.com report)
    Tadahito Iguchi (a report awhile back)

Canada:
    Jason Bay (TSN.ca report)
    Peter Orr (TSN.ca report)
    Rheal Cormier (TSN.ca report)
    Chris Reitsma (TSN.ca report)
    Jesse Crain (TSN.ca report)
    Corey Koskie (Canadian press report)

Mexico:
    Juan Castro (Report from the official Minnesota Twins Website)

Australia:
    Justin Huber (inferred, as he was the Aussie Rep at the All-Star Game news conference)
    David Nilsson (Adelaide Advertiser article)

Korea:
    Hee-Sheop Choi (Inferred, as he was the Korean rep at the All-Star Game conference)

Netherlands:
    Andruw Jones (inferred, as he was the Dutch/Curacaoian/Netherland Antillers rep at the All-Star Game conference)

Panama:
    Carlos Lee (inferred, as he was the Panamanian rep at the ASG news conference)

Managers:
    Japan: Sadaharu Oh
    Korea: In-Sik Kim
    Chinese Taipei (Taiwan): Hua-Wei Lin
    China: Jim Lefebvre

USA: Unknown, it has supposedly been narrowed down to Buck Martinez and Don Baylor.
    Canada: Ernie Whitt
    Mexico: Francisco Estrada
    South Africa: Unknown

Puerto Rico: Jose Oquendo
    Cuba: Unknown, but I'm guessing it's Higinio Vélez, he was the manager of Cuba in IBF in 05
    Panama: Roberto Kelly
    Netherlands: Robert Eenhorn

Dominican Republic: Manny Acta
    Venezuela: Luis Sojo
    Australia: Jon Deeble
    Italy: Unknown
    Tell me if I missed anybody, as I'll update this list periodically.
    Last edited by Gamingboy; 12-05-2005, 10:41 AM.

Albert Pujols already signed the confirmation paper... And I believe someone else (not all-star status) already signed also... But I'm sure Pujols is the first to sign the paper... Tejada also signed... Martinez has publicly said he'll play, but he hasn't signed yet
    Licey campeón today and always!

Comment

Felix Hernandez wants to play in the WBC, but the Seattle Mariners are going through a process which will not allow him to play. (I don't know what country he would play for )
      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
        Felix Hernandez wants to play in the WBC, but the Seattle Mariners are going through a process which will not allow him to play. (I don't know what country he would play for )
        He is from Venezuela, no?
        Johan Santana and King Felix, nice 1-2 punch there...
        Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 12-04-2005, 08:33 PM.
        Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Updated! I also added in a "managers" section.

Comment

OK... Here's the link to the press article... this was said by Stan Javier, who's the GM of team Dominican Republic
            Complete Article (in spanish) Click Here

Below, the article, and after the translation...

Tejada y Pujols firman para el Clásico
            Las dos estrellas dominicanas se comprometieron por escrito para participar en la primera edición del certamen mundial

El gerente general del equipo dominicano que jugará el Clásico Mundial de Béisbol, Stanley Javier, reveló el jueves que Albert Pujols, Miguel Tejada y José Mesa se comprometieron por escrito a participar en el evento.

"También formalizaron su inscripción Salomón Torres y Juan Brito, con lo que se convierten en los primeros en establecer oficialmente su participación en el Clásico", dijo Javier.

El ejecutivo destacó la "importancia" que esto representa para los planes del equipo.

"Ya iniciamos la inscripción de los jugadores que han expresado públicamente su intención de jugar con el equipo dominicano en la Copa del Mundo", agregó.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tejada and Pujols sign for the Classic
            The two dominican stars committed by written to participate in the first edition of the world contest

The general manager of the dominican team that will play the World Baseball Classic, Stanley Javier, revealed on thursday that Albert Pujols, Miguel Tejada and José Mesa signed their commitment to participate in the event.

"We also formalized the inscription of Salomon Torres and Juan Brito, making them the first to offially establish their participation in the classic", Javier said.

The executive highlighted the "importance" that this represents for the team's plans..

"We started the inscription process of the players that have publicaly stated their intention to play with the dominican team in the World Cup", he added.

Comment

Updated! According to the website of a Australian Newspaper, former MLB player Dave Nilsson has agreed to play.

Comment

Okay, folks, they now have actually put up a LIST on the WBC site which can be found here:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/wb...ontent=country

So, uhhh, I don't think this will be need anymore.

Comment

Interesting, I don't see Rich Harden on Canada's roster.
                  Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM.
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

A list of those denied

The White sox already denied permit to former major league pitcher Juan Nieves ( threw a no-hitter for the Brewers ) to become Puerto Rico's pitching coach . the Mariners did the same with Rafy Chávez . None of them is on their ML team , but in the minors . Umm...
                    Hope the Mariners allow Félix Hernández to pitch for Venezuela .

Comment

So I guess the A-Rod issue will go on until the very end... He's not listed in neither team USA or team DR

And I see Cody McKay in team Canada... He's an excellent catcher!!! He played for the tigers 3 years ago, and hand good numbers, but even better deffense
                      Last edited by Licey Fan; 12-05-2005, 02:17 PM.

Comment

"Three players -- Rodriguez, Mike Piazza and Marco Scutaro -- have the opportunity to select between two countries because of their family heritage and have yet to make a decision for which team they will play. A-Rod can choose between the U.S. and the Dominican Republic; Piazza between the U.S. and Italy, and Scutaro between Italy and Venezuela."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Ok, So it definetly seems that it'll be until the final day that we'll know finally where A-Rod will be playing
                        Last edited by Licey Fan; 12-05-2005, 02:47 PM.

Comment

www.worldbaseballclassic.com has a more extensive list of players here.

However, note the following:

A maximum 60-man roster for each nation must be submitted by Jan. 17, and that point, all players will begin to be drug tested under the auspices of Olympic-type penalties -- two years of banishment from international play for a first offense. The tournament drug testing is mutually exclusive from the new testing program agreed upon last month by MLB and the players association, Orza said. Thus, any player testing positive during the event will not be penalized next season by MLB.

Each team's 30-man roster must be finalized 24 hours prior to the start of the tournament. (This explains the confusion between whether rosters have 30 or 60).

Also, note the drug test requirement. This is a latent killer for the tournament. MLB's testing is a joke--this testing will be done I believe under WADA. What will happen if big name players start getting sent home? We have all heard the rumors. How many more Palmeiro's are out there? Will the tournament survive if (a) numerous players get caught or (b) numerous stars duck out of the tournament citing vague injuries or family concerns?

Comment

Italy should have a team with italian from italian league and some italian - americans.
                            The coach should be Matt Galante and the coach of the italian NT (Faraone).
                            Many italian-americans wants to play for Italy.
                            Pitchers :Tony Fiore,Mike Gallo,Jason Grilli,Matt Mantei
                            Catchers:Mike Di Felice and Doug Mirabelli.
                            First basebamen Joe Vitiello and Valentino Pascucci.
                            Second Basemen Frank Menechino
                            SS:Mark DeRosa
                            Outfielders Catalanotto,Dellucci , Zoccolillo,Baldelli (if healthy)
                            Other players contacted are :Simontacchi (the only one played also in the italian league before signing for MLB)Pavano,Lo Duca,Fassero.
                            Zito will pitch for USA.
                            Giovanni Carrara and Marco Scutaro will play for Venezuela.
                            We have no chance,even with these players,against Dominican Republic and Venezuela,we only will try to play good baseball.
                            The average level of this WBC will be terrific.
                            Next year Italy will play the hockey tornament in Olympics,WBC,Soccer World Championship and Basketball World Championship.
                            I think the level of WBC is higher than the other tournaments.
                            Baseball italian fans will enjoy WBC and i hope this will be a great avertising for this wonderful sport in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Piazza
                              Italy should have a team with italian from italian league and some italian - americans.
                              The coach should be Matt Galante and the coach of the italian NT (Faraone).
                              Many italian-americans wants to play for Italy.
                              Pitchers :Tony Fiore,Mike Gallo,Jason Grilli,Matt Mantei
                              Catchers:Mike Di Felice and Doug Mirabelli.
                              First basebamen Joe Vitiello and Valentino Pascucci.
                              Second Basemen Frank Menechino
                              SS:Mark DeRosa
                              Outfielders Catalanotto,Dellucci , Zoccolillo,Baldelli (if healthy)
                              Other players contacted are :Simontacchi (the only one played also in the italian league before signing for MLB)Pavano,Lo Duca,Fassero.
                              Zito will pitch for USA.
                              Giovanni Carrara and Marco Scutaro will play for Venezuela.
                              We have no chance,even with these players,against Dominican Republic and Venezuela,we only will try to play good baseball.
                              The average level of this WBC will be terrific.
                              Next year Italy will play the hockey tornament in Olympics,WBC,Soccer World Championship and Basketball World Championship.
                              I think the level of WBC is higher than the other tournaments.
                              Baseball italian fans will enjoy WBC and i hope this will be a great avertising for this wonderful sport in Italy.

Hopefully you'll make a good impression!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X