Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan's 2006 WBC Roster

Japan's 2006 WBC Roster
    Ichiro Suzuki, Akinori Otsuka and Tadahito Iguchi will represent the Major Leagues and Japan.
    The Yankees' Hideki Matsui is not on the list, but he still may decide to play. The Japanese team will be managed by legendary home run hitter Sadaharu Oh:

Pitcher Organization
    Shimizu, Naoyuki Chiba Lotte Marines
    Watanabe, Shunsuke Chiba Lotte Marines
    Kobayashi, Hiroyuki Chiba Lotte Marines
    Wada, Tsuyoshi Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks
    Sugiuchi, Toshiya Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks
    Matsuzaka, Daisuke Seibu Lions
    Uehara, Koji Yomiuri Giants
    Kuroda, Hiroki Hiroshima Toyo Carp
    Fujita, Sochi Chiba Lotte Marines
    Yabuta, Yasuhiko Chiba Lotte Marines
    Fujikawa, Kyuji Hanshin Tigers
    Ishii, Hirotoshi Yakult Swallows
    Otsuka, Akinori San Diego Padres

Position Player Organization
    Satozaki, Tomoya Chiba Lotte Marines
    Tanishige, Motonobu Chunichi Dragons
    Abe, Shinnosuke Yomiuri Giants
    Nishioka, Tsuyoshi Chiba Lotte Marines
    Imae, Toshiaki Chiba Lotte Marines
    Matsunaka, Nobuhiko Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks
    Kawasaki, Munenori Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks
    Ogasawara, Michihiro Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters
    Iwamura, Akinori Yakult Swallows
    Arai, Takahiro Hiroshima Toyo Carp
    Iguchi, Tadahito Chicago White Sox
    Wada, Kazuhiro Seibu Lions
    Kinjoh, Tatsuhiko Yokohama BayStars
    Tamura, Hitoshi Yokohama BayStars
    Aoki, Norichika Yakult Swallows
    Suzuki, Ichiro Seattle Mariners

Ichiro's top priority is winning World Baseball Classic

KOBE (AP) Ichiro Suzuki of the Seattle Mariners wants to lead Japan to victory at the inaugural World Baseball Classic and worked out Thursday in preparation for the March tournament.
    "With the World Baseball Classic, this year is a bit different," Ichiro said. "Our goal will be to win the tournament and after that I'll start thinking about the regular season."

Japan will be home for the first round of the tournament, March 3-5 at the Tokyo Dome. Japan is part of Group A, with South Korea, China and Taiwan.

Hideki Matsui of the New York Yankees and Tadahito Iguchi of the Chicago White Sox will not take part in the 16-nation tournament, citing commitments to their teams.

Japan's team will be managed by revered slugger Sadaharu Oh, who personally appealed to the Seattle leadoff hitter to represent his country.

"I've seen a lot of great players in my five years in the majors," Ichiro said. "And I know we have enough talent on our team to be able to contend."

Chunichi Dragons outfielder Kosuke Fukudome will take Matsui's place on Japan's 30-man roster. Fukudome, the 2002 Central League batting champion, batted .328 with 28 homers and a career-high 103 RBIs in 132 games last season for the Dragons.

The Japan Times: Jan. 13, 2006
    (C) All rights reserved

Comment

Do you have a link? I'm trying to get someone this info, but w/o a link, I can't do much.

Thanks.
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20060113a1.htm

Araki ponders WBC spot

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/...20060112j1.htm

Comment

Aaron, Oh celebrate baseball's reach

01/18/2006 1:12 AM ET
          Aaron, Oh celebrate baseball's reach
          Ceremony honors past, present, future of game

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Comment

National baseball manager satisfied with players' improvement
            FUKUOKA -- Ahead of the upcoming World Baseball Classics (WBC), Japan's national baseball team manager Sadaharu Oh said Monday that his players showed improvement during a recent training camp and that he is satisfied with their condition.

"The players' morale has risen and their body movements have become sharp," Oh, also manager of the Softbank Hawks professional baseball club, said looking back on the team's three practice games during their camp in Fukuoka.

The national team, comprising professional baseball players from different teams, wound up the camp after light training at Yahoo! Japan Dome Monday morning. The team members will gather again in Tokyo on Tuesday for the last training session and have a practice game on Wednesday.

The WBC is to begin on Friday. (Mainichi)

February 27, 2006

Comment

Team Japan starts firing

By STEPHEN ELLSESSER

Staff writer
              FUKUOKA -- Team Japan finally got its offense going, sort of.

Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters' Michihiro Ogasawara belts a solo homer for Japan's World Baseball Classic team in the fifth inning of an exhibition game against the Nippon Professional Baseball squad at Fukuoka Yahoo Dome.

Although Japan didn't have many runs to show for its 15 hits, it still had more than enough for a 5-1 win over the Chiba Lotte Marines on Sunday at Yahoo Dome in a World Baseball Classic exhibition game.

And Shunsuke Watanabe had a strong start, keeping his teammates off the scoreboard and mostly off the bases for four innings.

Watanabe struck out three and surrendered three hits, just as effective at shutting down his teammates offensively as he was against the opposition for most of last season.

"One time, I mistakenly headed for the visitors' dugout," Watanabe said. "It was strange to be pitching against my own team, although I didn't think about it too much."

As with all pitchers in the WBC, Watanabe worked against a 65-pitch limit for the first round. He finished with 62 pitches, and although he expressed concern about how it may affect his mental preparation earlier in the week, Watanabe was pretty sharp in dispatching his teammates.

"It had more of a 'game' feeling than I expected," he said. "I was able to focus on pitching. . . . I'd like to make my pitching more precise. I'm looking forward to the next start."

Michihiro Ogasawara hit a fifth-inning home run against Lotte's Masahide Kobayashi for Japan's first dinger of the WBC.

Kobayashi, normally a closer, came out of the bullpen early as Lotte manager Bobby Valentine's pitching staff was heavily depleted because of the WBC.

Other than Watanabe, Team Japan had seven other Lotte players, most of whom are pitchers.

Ogasawara, making his second WBC start, took a Kobayashi pitch into the right field stands, putting Japan up 4-0. It added another run as Marine Toshiaki Imae scored on a single by shortstop Munenori Kawasaki.

"I was swinging the bat with too much power in the beginning," Ogasawara said. "Eventually I was able to swing like I wanted to. Our main objective is to win instead of hitting home runs, so I regret I did not hit a sacrifice fly in my previous at-bat."

Ogasawara flied out to left field, but it was not deep enough to score Nobuhiko Matsunaka from third base.

Japan got on the board in the first inning, when Tsuyoshi Nishioka came around on a Hitoshi Tamura base hit.

Catcher Ryoji Aikawa scored the first of his two runs in the second, scoring from second base on a wild pitch from Marines starter Shingo Ono, and Aikawa plated another run in the fourth, thanks to a sacrifice fly from Nishioka.

Toshiya Sugiuchi gave up a run and struck out six in a four-inning relief session before Akinori Otsuka pitched a scoreless ninth to close out Japan's victory. Otsuka struck out two.

Japan will play its final WBC exhibition Wednesday night at Tokyo Dome against the Yomiuri Giants before beginning its WBC slate with China on March 5.

The Japan Times: Feb. 27, 2006
              (C) All rights reserved

Comment

Ichiro, Uehara lead Japan past Mariners
                Petagine's homer in ninth not enough in Classic tuneup
                By Doug Miller / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- The Japanese team for the World Baseball Classic might have been disappointed when it lost a game to Korea last week, but the club's first try against Major League competition had to provide some warmth on a chilly Wednesday night in the desert.
                Starter Koji Uehara dominated the Seattle Mariners for five innings, Ichiro Suzuki burned his regular-season team with an RBI single, and a mixture of timely hitting and heady baserunning got Team Japan back in the win column with a 6-5 tally before 2,086 in Peoria Stadium.

"I'm really pleased with the way the team played," Japan manager Sadaharu Oh said through an interpreter. "I feel the skill is improving with the team. ... I was really impressed with the energy level my boys put out tonight."

Team Japan, already qualified for next week's second round of the Classic in Anaheim, will play Cactus League exhibitions on Thursday (against Texas) and Friday (against Milwaukee) before heading to Southern California.

"The Japanese have a good ballclub," Mariners manager Mike Hargrove said. "It's obvious that they've been working at this a little bit longer than we have this spring."

That statement could have been reserved for Uehara alone.

The right-hander baffled a Mariners lineup with four projected Opening Day starters, giving up one hit in five innings and facing the minimum 15 hitters. He struck out six, including Seattle shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt and designated hitter Carl Everett twice each.

Uehara retired seven straight hitters until Greg Dobbs lined a single to right field with one out in the third inning. But Uehara erased that threat by getting Oswaldo Navarro to hit into a routine 6-4-3 double play. Uehara then put down the next six hitters in order -- three via strikeout.

"I have no complaints about Uehara's pitching," Oh said. "I would say it's up there as one of his best performances that I've seen."

The Japanese hitters didn't need to do much, but they did enough in the second inning.

Mariners starter Travis Blackley, who had only pitched one inning -- in a "B" game last week -- of competitive baseball since late 2004 because of shoulder injuries, walked the first batter, then gave up two straight singles, including an RBI knock by Michihiro Ogasawara that gave Team Japan a 1-0 lead.

The Japanese team added a run two batters later when Munenori Kawasaki hit an RBI fielder's choice, and Ichiro struck next, lining an RBI single to left field to give Japan a 3-0 advantage.

Japan added a run in the fifth off Mariners righty Dave Burba when Kawasaki bunted for a single, stole second and scored on a Tsuyoshi Nishioka single.

The Mariners scored their first runs in the seventh inning. Betancourt stroked a leadoff triple off Naoyuki Shimizu and scored on Richie Sexson's fielder's choice. Everett followed with a double and scored on a Rob Johnson single, bringing the contest to 4-2.

Japan scored twice in the eighth, with Nishioka driving in a run with a fielder's choice and Nobuhiko Matsunaka doubling in another.

Seattle made a late charge in the ninth when Roberto Petagine hit a three-run blast, but the Mariners were unable to complete the comeback.

Ichiro went 2-for-4, notching his first two-hit game since joining Team Japan. He went 3-for-13 (.231) in Pool A play, hitting a single in each of the team's first three games.

He and Hargrove agreed that having Ichiro on the opposing team was a strange experience.

"It was a little weird," Ichiro said through an interpreter, "but I was happy to see everybody. I haven't seen them for many months, and there's new members [of the team]. I'm looking forward to the season."

And Hargrove is looking forward to a season with Ichiro back in right field and in the leadoff spot.

"It was odd seeing him on the other team," Hargrove said.

"I'd rather see him with us."

Doug Miller is a reporter for MLB.com.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X