WBC Predictions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC Predictions!

It is time to make predictions everyone!

This week we will receive the great news that Cuba would be allowed to send a team. Therefore, I like make predictions about the WBC.

Round 1

Pool A

Japan
    Korea

Pool B

This pool is hard to predict, but I select Mexico over Canada. I think Mexico wants to prove that the performance of its professional players in the qualifying tournament in Arizona was an aberration.

USA
    Mexico

Pool C

Cuba
    Puerto Rico (nice to be a host)

Pool D

Yes, the first surprise would be Italy qualifying 2nd behind Venezuela. I am sorry Licey. I have to include a surprise and this group is the dead group like soccer fans call it. My reason is pitching and besides Martinez and Colon(?), I have some questions. Sosa had a good 2005 and Liriano is a future star. But I like pitching and Venezuela has the upper hand now. I know Italy is not as a strong as the Dominicans but sometimes the favorites not always win in a single game.

Venezuela
    Italy

Best Game: Mexico vs Canada

Round 2

Top Bracket:

The below teams advance because they have strong pitching.

USA
    Japan

Lower Bracket:

The below teams advance because strong pitching.

Venezuela
    Cuba

SEMIS:

USA beats Cuba
    In a most watch game, the USA beats Cuba. Both benches will be empty when somebody gets hit by a pitch.
    Venezuela beats Japan because it has a very well balanced roster.

Final

Venezuela beats the USA.

Venezuela has a national party for 3 days!
    Last edited by Cubano100%; 01-16-2006, 05:14 PM.

There is no way the Dominican Republic can not advance. You have named the lack of starting pitching of the DR, but what about Italy's? I see the Dominican Republic advancing to win it all. Either them or Cuba, which I really hope will participate in the event. I'll try to make my predictions when i have more time.

Comment

Hahaha!!! you're kidding me, right???

You want to suggest a surprise, and for you the surprise is DR out BECAUSE OF ITALY?????

No offense for the italians, but this AIN'T SOCCER... we lack of pitching, means, we lack of MLB level pitching to maybe hold the venezuelan, cuban or american lineups... BUT ITALY??? They don't have a AA pitcher in their roster... Come on, get real...

Hey! But that's your opinion... I just hope you don't bet on it...

I'd say group A, (Taiwan and Korea), and group B (Canada and Mexico)... those are the tight groups... Venezuela and DR just have to define who gets 1st place, and that'd be the winner of their first round game
      Licey campeón today and always!

Comment

Originally posted by Licey Fan
        Hahaha!!! you're kidding me, right???

You want to suggest a surprise, and for you the surprise is DR out BECAUSE OF ITALY?????

No offense for the italians, but this AIN'T SOCCER... we lack of pitching, means, we lack of MLB level pitching to maybe hold the venezuelan, cuban or american lineups... BUT ITALY??? They don't have a AA pitcher in their roster... Come on, get real...

Hey! But that's your opinion... I just hope you don't bet on it...

I'd say group A, (Taiwan and Korea), and group B (Canada and Mexico)... those are the tight groups... Venezuela and DR just have to define who gets 1st place, and that'd be the winner of their first round game

Hey, if I go by the favorites on paper it won't be a prediction then. I know it would be chocking for the Italians to beat the Dominicans but many times in sports the favorites lose against weaker teams on paper.

Comment

Dont' underestimate Australia in pool D,they got a silver medal in last Olympics,i remember Australia-Italy in the last Olympics,they have a very good team with reliable pitchers.
          Italy has a lot of italian-americans but only a star (Mike Piazza),most of the other guys are free agents that will try to impress scouts to make the team in some MLB teams.
          It's not an italian-american dream team (lack Zito,Mussina,Pavano,Biggio,Giambi,Loretta....),i think Dominican Republic and Venezuela are clear favorites,they have scary lineups and good pitchers,sometimes they have lost vs Italy in IBAF tournaments but WBC level is too high for Italy.
          The final should be USA-Japan or USA-Cuba,i hope to see great attendance,great interest and great TV audience,so WBC will become a real World championship played every 4 years and i hope to see next time an italian teams whose stars are italians raised in Italy.

Comment

Come on guys! Lets make predictions for the fun like the College Basketball Tournament.

Select the teams that you think will advance per rounds and the Champ. I know the Dominicans are ten times better than the Italians in baseball. I am glad Cuba is not in that group for sure(Venezuela, Dominican R., Italy and Australia.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Piazza
              Dont' underestimate Australia in pool D,they got a silver medal in last Olympics,i remember Australia-Italy in the last Olympics,they have a very good team with reliable pitchers.
              Good to see a vote of confidence in our guys. Must point out that the Olympics are a far cry from the WBC with MLB player bolstered teams, although our team will have a number of players who have MLB/Minor League experience, and if the pitching roster can hold up may cause some surprises. I do believe Australia has a far more realistic chance than Italy.
              "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

POOL A:
                Japan will advance easily
                Korea will also advance, but only after a thrilling game with Chinese Taipei

Pool B:
                USA
                Canada

Canada will defeat Mexico when Eric Bedard throws a 4 inning gem, then is taken out (due to Pitch count) to be replaced by Adam Loewen, Jesse Crain and Eric Gagne, in that order.

Pool C:
                Puerto Rico
                Netherlands

The Netherlands is one of only a small handful of Countries to beat Cuba in international play.... and now they have Andrew Jones. The game will be heavily contested, but the Dutch will shock the world. Afterwards, Fidel Castro announces that the entire Baseball team should defect, because they sure won't be welcome back in Cuba after losing to Dutch capitalists.

Pool D:
                Dominican
                Venezuela

However, Australia gives a spirited showing, almost upsetting Venezuela and beating Italy.

more predictions soon.

Comment

I believe Gagne declined his participation for Team Canada

Comment

I predict A-Rod will play for Team U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by Agente Libre
                      I predict A-Rod will play for Team U.S.A.
                      Yeah, I saw that coming

Comment

Mexico and Canada have the chance to knock off the US. Canada's starting pitching can be a nightmare and the Mexicans will play for pride against the US. I expect the US-Mexico affair espically in Phoenix a city with a high latino population to be very entertaining espically in the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake83
                          Mexico and Canada have the chance to knock off the US. Canada's starting pitching can be a nightmare and the Mexicans will play for pride against the US. I expect the US-Mexico affair espically in Phoenix a city with a high latino population to be very entertaining espically in the stands.
                          To add more spice to it... Mexico took the US out of the 2004 olympics... Now Team USA payed them back for the 2008 olympics... This year's qualifier was also played in Phoenix

Comment

I predict that due to all of the ridiculous politcs and grandstanding of egos, I will not watch or listen to one minute of this little exhibition.
                            Never confuse character with geography --- Red Smith
                            Astros Daily

Comment

round 1

a: japan + korea

b: canada + usa

c: cuba + puerto rico

d: australia + dominican republic
                              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X