• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Mattingly
    Yankee fan & proud of it!

• Mattingly
    replied
    Two-headed coin I'm seeing, since on one hand, Barry Bonds only played 14 games in 2005, which seriously put the Giants out of contention, and in a division in which the Padres "won" with a barely >.500 Win%. Had he played more games, I think that SFG would surely have won the NL West.

That said, he'd definitely need to play more games, and if he needs to start himself off slowly, then since the WBC is in March when he's just getting himself ready, it may take him longer than other players who haven't had multiple knee surgeries. I believe that his last "spring training" was around August and ended around mid-September.

If done to hide any possible PEDs that he may be using or has used which are detectable, especially since he's been accused of using various undetectable "designer" PEDs, then even if caught, his name would not likely be offered publicly (unless because of some hi-profile leak that some sports reporter would love to get a scoop on), this would only ban him from international competition for two years.

I'm not necessarily a Barry supporter, but with multiple possibilities as to his exit from this, an exhibition event, I'm willing to give him a free pass here.
    Mattingly
    Yankee fan & proud of it!
    Last edited by Mattingly; 01-25-2006, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Guerrero Mad Man 2715
    Angel Fanatic #1

• Guerrero Mad Man 2715
    replied
    Shock of the century huh? I'm glad the century just started because I think Ken Camenittis sudden death was probaly the shock of the century.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black

replied
    bonds starting fires just to put 'em out?

i think that whenever bonds does start one he just watches it burn.
    he just does things his own way.

"he has a history of saying and doing things that bother people", as you said.
    i do not recall when bonds doubled back on something that he said just to smooth out some ruffled feathers.
    west coast orange and black
    Last edited by west coast orange and black; 01-24-2006, 12:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    Saw Yaz launch one in '78

• runningshoes
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    if he did, he would not have declared that he was all up for the wbc to begin with. no?
    Well, it's my contention, and it is only a contention, mind you, that his handlers saw this as an opportunity to quiet his detractors. I really don't believe he ever had any intention of playing in the tournament.

Is that a cynical outlook?

Certainly, but as I told you, he has a history of saying and doing things that bother people.

I'm not a "conspiracy theorist" so to speak, but I do understand a guy like Bonds needing someone to put out the fires.

Leave a comment:

replied
    troy, i think that bonds' agents and legal representation had nothing to do with his decisions.

i think that bonds, in possibly his last season, wants to put all of his efforts towards the giants winning a championship. bonds relies upon others for information, sure, but he has never had any handlers.

if he did, he would not have declared that he was all up for the wbc to begin with. no?

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes

• runningshoes
    replied
    Cubano100%: So much for competing for your country...

you might have forgotten about bonds representing the usa in japan.
    bonds has said that representing the usa was one of the biggest highlights of his entire career.
    No offense Tony, but words are cheap and they get even cheaper when they're being fed to you from your agent or PR firm.

Except for one glaring controversy, his pulling out of the tournament makes no sense to me, especially when I consider that representing the usa was one of the biggest highlights of his entire career.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Cubano100%: So much for competing for your country...

you might have forgotten about bonds representing the usa in japan.
    bonds has said that representing the usa was one of the biggest highlights of his entire career.

Leave a comment:

replied
    17 january was the roster deadline for federations competing in the wbc.
    it was also the start date of the wbc out-of-competition testing of the players.

upon a first positve test result, players are hit with a two-year suspension from international competition, but their names are not announced to the public.

curiously, it is possible for a player currently on a wbc team roster to *remove himself* from wbc play and simply not participate in international competition for the next two years... and no one would know about the positive test result.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    xFIP?! I laugh at you!

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by Licey Fan
    Risk an injury? Is more than that... Simple, doesn't want to be tested...
    And you know this how?

Leave a comment:

• Cubano100%

• Cubano100%
    replied
    Lance Berkman!

How about Lance Berkman? He is going to have a knee surgery and won't be ready for the WBC. However, he will be ready for the Spring Training which is about the same time as the WBC. Very interesting!

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp...=.jsp&c_id=hou

Leave a comment:

replied
    bonds has changed his mind many many times, so this is nothing new.
    maybe his first announcement was heart-induced, and this one is more rational. i dunno.

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes

• runningshoes
    replied
    to think that wada testing is why bonds bowed out seems unreasonable to me.
    it was known before players announced their intentions of playing that wada-style testing was included in the wbc tournament.
    Yes, and nows he's done a flip flop.

What better way to fool the audience?

Leave a comment:

replied
    to think that wada testing is why bonds bowed out seems unreasonable to me.
    it was known before players announced their intentions of playing that wada-style testing was included in the wbc tournament.

Leave a comment:

• KCGHOST

• KCGHOST
    replied
    The whole WBC thing is a farce anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Licey Fan
    Licey: DR Glory

• Licey Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
    He doesn't want to risk injury - but then why is he trying out for the 'Powderpuff Girls'

Risk an injury? Is more than that... Simple, doesn't want to be tested...

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X