Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WBC TV Coverage- US & International

From mlb.com:

Fans unable to attend the inaugural World Baseball Classic next month will have plenty of ways to keep up with all the action. Along with online coverage of every game at MLB.com, the WBC announced Monday it had reached agreement with ESPN to make the network the exclusive domestic television home of the tournament.
    As part of the agreement, ESPN and ESPN2 will be offering 16 live telecasts of the tournament, including ESPN telecasts of the March 18 semifinal games and the March 20 final from San Diego's PETCO Park.

ESPN Syndication will syndicate 14 games to a variety of English-language outlets. ESPN Deportes, ESPN's Spanish-language network in the U.S., will be the only domestic network to televise all 39 games of the inaugural tournament. ESPN Radio will air the semifinals and final.

"ESPN has been a tremendous television partner and I am extremely pleased that we will be enhancing our relationship with their coverage of the inaugural World Baseball Classic," said Tim Brosnan, executive vice president of business for Major League Baseball. "The magnitude of ESPN's reach will provide the broad, in-depth coverage that this event deserves."

"We're delighted we could reach agreement with ESPN on what will prove to be, I'm confident, historic broadcasts of the sport. There is a style and intensity that ESPN brings to baseball that makes this agreement the perfect fit for the inaugural games," said Gene Orza, chief operating officer of the Major League Baseball Players Association.

The World Baseball Classic, a 16-team tournament sanctioned by the International Baseball Federation (IBAF), will feature many of the best players in the world competing for their home countries and territories for the first time. The 16 teams invited to participate in the event have been divided into four pools of four teams for the first round of play.

"This is yet another exciting new chapter in ESPN's growing relationship with MLB and the MLB Players Association," said Len DeLuca, ESPN senior vice president, programming and acquisitions. "We will have coverage across multiple ESPN platforms. This will add to the madness of March. From the first games in Japan on March 3 to the tournament's semis and championship on ESPN and ESPN Deportes on March 18 and 20, we're introducing a great concept -- the best Major Leaguers playing for their nations."

"This agreement is a grand slam for ESPN Deportes, as we solidify our leadership position in bringing Spanish-language baseball telecasts to Hispanic sports fans throughout the United States," said Traug Keller, ESPN senior vice president, ESPN Deportes and ESPN Radio. "The World Baseball Classic adds an exclamation point to our year-round coverage of baseball which includes the Dominican League, Mexican Pacific League and MLB."

ESPN International will provide coverage in Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, the Middle East and Israel. ESPN will also have rights for all its new media platforms including Mobile ESPN (the company's new mobile phone), ESPN.com and ESPN360 (broadband).

The four Round 1 pools will be played at venues in Japan (Tokyo Dome, Tokyo), Puerto Rico (Hiram Bithorn Stadium, San Juan) and the United States (Chase Field, Phoenix, Ariz.; Scottsdale Stadium, Scottsdale, Ariz.; The Ballpark at Disney's Wide World of Sports, Orlando, Fla.). Round 2 will feature two pools of four teams each and is scheduled to be played in Puerto Rico and Anaheim. The semifinals and final game with be played at PETCO Park in San Diego.

The WBC will feature a bracket-style format with the 16 teams competing in four groups: Pool A -- China, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), Japan and Korea; Pool B -- Canada, Mexico, South Africa and the United States; Pool C -- Cuba, the Netherlands, Panama and Puerto Rico; Pool D -- Australia, Dominican Republic, Italy and Venezuela.

WOOHOO!!! I'm gunna get to see the classic!
    2006 = The Empire Strikes Back! <-- Evil Laugh

AWESOME!

Thanks a million!
    "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

No word on ESPN Asia?

I can't imagine they wouldn't be showing it here.
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Bummer that it's gonna only be 16 games in English on ESPN2 and ESPN, although the syndicated games bring it up to 30. But still, I'm happy with that coverage. Although I'm sorta bummed I won't be able to see the might South Africans.

I wonder what the "syndication" means. Does it mean ABC? ESPN Classic? the YES Network (they'll going to be showing the Carribean World Series in a few days in english, so you never know.).

Comment

No!

This really sucks for me. I was so into the WBC and now I wont be able to watch a single game since I dont have cable (and cant pay no online mlb feauture) . This is really disappointing. I guess I will have to watch the results and wonder how the games look. If the WBC does at some point become big then they have to change it or at least put the finals on local channels. The biggest sporting event on this earth the World Cup is broadcasted on local channels to watch some of the games and the finals. Most people dont have cable and this is really bad news for us. I guess I could find some way to see ESPN somewhere but I got a tight schedule so it is almost impossible.

h

Comment

Sorry to hear that dude...

For those with cable, heres a link showing the games that will be televised:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldc...ory?id=2294525

No Australia games? Only two U.S.A games?
            2006 = The Empire Strikes Back! <-- Evil Laugh

Comment

SKY Italy is interested,they are negotiating with ESPN.
              SKY Italy broadcasts MLB games and this summer will broadcast also the italian league.
              I hope a deal will be reached soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MainSlot
                This really sucks for me. I was so into the WBC and now I wont be able to watch a single game since I dont have cable (and cant pay no online mlb feauture) . This is really disappointing. I guess I will have to watch the results and wonder how the games look. If the WBC does at some point become big then they have to change it or at least put the finals on local channels. The biggest sporting event on this earth the World Cup is broadcasted on local channels to watch some of the games and the finals. Most people dont have cable and this is really bad news for us. I guess I could find some way to see ESPN somewhere but I got a tight schedule so it is almost impossible.

h

Most people don't have cable? Dude.... everybody has either Cable or Satelite where I live, dunno about you.

Comment

darn, i dont get ESPN. i wonder if any canadian sport channels are gonna air the games, or atleast some of them. i better go check.

Comment

Originally posted by SSJChar
                    darn, i dont get ESPN. i wonder if any canadian sport channels are gonna air the games, or atleast some of them. i better go check.
                    What about TSN?

They might be showing it. I can't imagine it wouldn't be shown in Canada.
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Gamingboy
                      Most people don't have cable? Dude.... everybody has either Cable or Satelite where I live, dunno about you.
                      You would be surprised how many don't have cable.
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_Stengelese
                        For those with cable, heres a link showing the games that will be televised:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldc...ory?id=2294525

No Australia games? Only two U.S.A games?
                        Not impressed :grouchy - surely if they are extending the international coverage to Australia at least one game should have been programmed. And China, Chinese Taipei and Netherlands (sorry YR) get 3 each?? I guess our guys need to qualify beyond the 1st round for us to get a glimpse of them!! :gt
                        "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
                          Not impressed :grouchy - surely if they are extending the international coverage to Australia at least one game should have been programmed. And China, Chinese Taipei and Netherlands (sorry YR) get 3 each?? I guess our guys need to qualify beyond the 1st round for us to get a glimpse of them!! :gt
                          May be so. But the big question is... Will I be able to see those games on TV? Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                            What about TSN?

They might be showing it. I can't imagine it wouldn't be shown in Canada.
                            ya i emailed TSN last week to see if they were going to air any games. so far they havn't replied, but i guess i only emailed them on thursday. as long as i get a responce before the games start.

Edit: is emailed Sportsnet probably no less than 2 hours ago, and i already got a reply! this is what they said:
                            "Thanks for your recent email. We are indeed broadcasting games from the World Baseball Classic. We will be airing all of Canada's games as well as other select games from the first two rounds. In addition, we will be airing both games of the semi finals and the finals."
                            this is great! ill be able to watch atleast 6 games then. I'm hoping they'll show some of the asian poolA games. Now I'm tempted in getting MVP Baseball 2006 NCAA for ps2 because it has WBC mode in it, and itd be neat to see how well the games are simmed.
                            Last edited by SSJChar; 02-07-2006, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Good news for you SSJChar. YankeesRule, I hope you get to see some games, and hopefully those involving the Netherlands!
                              "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X