Question about Cuban player in Holland - Fausto Alvarez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Cuban player in Holland - Fausto Alvarez

I see that a 46-year-old Cuban named Fausto Alvarez Rizo recently hit 3 homers in a game in Hoofdklasse. As he is listed on the Cuban team for the World Port Tournament this year, I'm guessing he can't be a defecter. How did he wind up in the Netherlands then? Was he part of the "loan" program several years ago where Linares, Kindelan and Pacheco went to Japan and others went to Italy? Or did he retire in Cuba then move to Holland?

The Fausto Alvarez I know is the former RF and sixth hitter for the Santiago de Cuba Wasps in the 1990's. I was still in Cuba at the time. He had an engineering degree. He retired long time ago.

Can you provide me the link where you found his name?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Cubano100% View Post
      The Fausto Alvarez I know is the former RF and sixth hitter for the Santiago de Cuba Wasps in the 1990's. I was still in Cuba at the time. He had an engineering degree. He retired long time ago.

Can you provide me the link where you found his name?

Thanks,
      The Alvarez info is at Marco Stoovelaar's Dutch baseball site - go to http://home.planet.nl/~stoov/headline-e.htm and scan down to the June 23 notes. There is a Dutch page about Cuba which mentions Alvarez at http://cuba.web-log.nl/cuba/sport/index.html but I don't speak Dutch so can't figure it out. Several Dutch baseball sites mention him as Fausto Alvarez Rizo

I'm guessing that it's the same guy given his age. Maybe he decided to keep playing at a lower level after retirement?

Comment

You know, I just dont get it, he waited to leave the country after he was retired??? I remember him playing Santiago too.
        Yankees' payroll: $250 millions
        Marlins' payroll: $50 millions
        Marlins winning The Series: Priceless

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Comment

I found some pics:

Here's Fausto in Cuba:

and Here's Fausto in Holland:

"Visiting Americans love going to Cuban games because with no free agency, no franchise movement and no owners blackmailing cities for new stadiums, it all smacks of 1950's America, ignoring the inconvenient fact that such a fantasyland is only possible in a dictatorship"-S.L. Price

Comment

This is the English translation. I did not know I could understand Dutch. ja ja ja

Baseball is my second mother Honkballer Fausto Alvarez (44) has been driven on cuba. After twenty years at the highest level for playing, ended up at the Amsterdam Pirates, which started last week to the competition. He travelled thanks to its sport very the world and tested everywhere where he came the votes in its ear whisper, because he was that Cuban of the hard, distant slaps. ' remain here, we give a beautiful contract, a house, a large car you.' But Fausto Alvarez Rizo always returned to its island. Also now he in Amsterdam follows inburgeringscursus and cohabits with its girlfriend. Also now the Pirates and the Dutch baseball association - if he is fluent in soon the language sufficiently - him dolgraag want use as a coach, are that certainty which the cuban migration civil servants have.

After eleven months Alvarez - prescribed as - set course direction cuba, where he its mother is and two children will visit and again an exit visa will request. Like always the honkballer will be carried during be imminent obligatory visit to cuba. Three times on file fourth Alvarez a champion schap with its plough santiago. He belongs to the group illustere names such as Antonio Pacheco and homerunkoning Orestes Zindelan. And on cuba, thus Alvarez say, baseball a medecine ' is.' .

For which sickness or, which leaves he in the midden.'Nederland is the Netherlands. Cuba is cuba. Each country has its problem. Permanently stands that he and experts were in administering the medecine have been plough-enjoyed. Alvarez has two cuban records: it has succeeded him two beat homeruns in a collection, and that even two times. At of those occasions stood limped two times (almost) full, so that he is also the player with most of the binnengeslagen points in 1 collection, seven.

There becomes in Santiago still once concerning chattering, if there are no baseball results available for concerning at discussieren. It ensured also that Alvarez girlfriend sighed previous year after a visit to the Edah that he are even in the Netherlands not quiet messages can do. Alvarez were recognised by an astonished Cuban, who everything know savage of him. He could the man tell that he is on cuba with baseball pension, but it is used at the Pirates as a suitable battle man. Alvarez come from time to time from the dug-out a hard give slap. And he can be then 44, its pullover hangs lijf concerning the broad shoulders of afgetraind.

Comment

From what I can understand from above, he didnt defect, he is in Holland with governmewnt permission right?

Comment

I think so. But he is also traying to stay in Holland. He showed some late wisdom and vision. Actually, he lacked both. He wasted all his career in Santiago de Cuba.

Comment

Fausto Alavarez has 8 HR.

http://home.planet.nl/~stoov/headline-e.htm#0107

Comment

There's really nothing unusual about the Alvarez story. The overwhelming majority of Cuban defectors waited until late in their careers or until their Cuban careers were basically over before getting smart and leaving.

Contreras could have been pitching in MLB in 1995 instead of 2003. Ditto for guys like Duque, Arrojo, etc. (Look at it this way: There have been about 150 Cuban baseball defectors since 1991. How many can we name? How many actually had successful careers in the U.S.? Yobal Duenas could have been an MLB All-Star and made millions. Instead, he defected after he was 30-plus years old and no one wanted him. Same is true for a lot of defectors.)

Comment

Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
                      There's really nothing unusual about the Alvarez story. The overwhelming majority of Cuban defectors waited until late in their careers or until their Cuban careers were basically over before getting smart and leaving.

Contreras could have been pitching in MLB in 1995 instead of 2003. Ditto for guys like Duque, Arrojo, etc. (Look at it this way: There have been about 150 Cuban baseball defectors since 1991. How many can we name? How many actually had successful careers in the U.S.? Yobal Duenas could have been an MLB All-Star and made millions. Instead, he defected after he was 30-plus years old and no one wanted him. Same is true for a lot of defectors.)
                      Despite all of that and the fact that some defectors were simply bad even for the Cuban Series, my post #1318 illustrates Cuban players have done remarkably well.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...=36485&page=53

Comment

No, I'm not saying Cubans have been a bust, I'm just saying that even most of the most successful players left Cuba far later than they should have. Other than Livan, Yuniesky Betancourt, Kendry Morales and a handful of others, the defector list is littered with guys who were old, washed up or only left because they had gotten in trouble in Cuba.

Comment

Another one that is in Miami now is former Havana Cowboys catcher Pedro Luis Rodriguez. He was a memeber of the Cuban National team. He was in Bolivia as a coach and escaped to the USA. He was another big leaguer for sure. Now, he has to work in a factory instead of watching his investments grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Agente Libre View Post
                            No, I'm not saying Cubans have been a bust, I'm just saying that even most of the most successful players left Cuba far later than they should have. Other than Livan, Yuniesky Betancourt, Kendry Morales and a handful of others, the defector list is littered with guys who were old, washed up or only left because they had gotten in trouble in Cuba.
                            Agree with you 100%, add Rey OrdoƱez to that list too.......I think that nowadays we are seeing more players leaving early in their careers though, without having even reached their primes in Cuba.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubano100% View Post
                              Another one that is in Miami now is former Havana Cowboys catcher Pedro Luis Rodriguez. He was a memeber of the Cuban National team. He was in Bolivia as a coach and escaped to the USA. He was another big leaguer for sure. Now, he has to work in a factory instead of watching his investments grow.
                              I didnt know he was here. What a hitter, for those who dont know him, he was a great hitting catcher a la Mike Piaza.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X