Caribbean Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caribbean Series

I'm so excited. After being on Fox Sports World a few years ago, the Caribbean Series returns to US TV. The games are being shown on tape delay on YES Network out of NY. For all of you DirecTV viewers that is channel 622. It beats spending $9.95 on mlb.com. The games are also on Gameday on mlb.com which allows you to follow pitch by pitch.

Dominican Squad Edges PR - Anderson Hernandez plays hero

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MARACAY, Venezuela -- Amid the loud cheers from the fans off the field and the players' unbridled enthusiasm on it, the Tigres Del Licey team became the first winner in the 2006 Caribbean Series.

Whether the club is the grand champion at the conclusion of the tournament is to be determined, but Thursday's 5-4 extra-inning victory against Puerto Rico's Carolina at Estadio Jose Perez Colmenares was a good start.

In the top of the 11th inning, Licey second baseman Anderson Hernandez hit a single to right field that scored Alexis Gomez, breaking a 4-4 tie and pushing the Dominican Republic team to victory. Gomez reached on fielder's choice.

Puerto Rico could not rally in the bottom half of the inning. The Dominican Republic used seven pitchers in the win, including the save by Roman Colon.

"It was a good fight out there," Dominican Republic manager Rafael Landestoy said. "We had to go very deep into our bullpen and that might affect us. I was glad we were able to win."

Hernandez, a Mets prospect, finished 4-for-6 with one RBI and two runs. Eddy Ramos earned the win for Licey. Federico Baez took the loss for Puerto Rico.

"To get four hits and get the game-winning hit is unbelievable," said Hernandez. "This is a short series and we can do it. Like they say, 'Those who win have the most fun.' I'm happy we won, and I think we can win this tournament."

He was not the only one. Flags from the Dominican Republic were waved all across the stadium.

The tournament continues Friday with Puerto Rico against Venezuela in Maracay at 7:30 p.m. ET. Mexico and the Dominican Republic play at 3:30 p.m. ET in Valencia.

"I feel really great. I never thought I would be here representing my country," Hernandez said. "I was able to get the hit that gave us the win, and I'm very happy about that. It is a great feeling."

Trailing by one run after seven innings, Puerto Rico tied the game at 4 with a single by Napolean Calzado that scored Jorge Padilla in the eighth.

That's where the score would stay -- at least for two innings, until Anderson's heroics.

The see-saw scoring actually started after two scoreless innings to start the contest.

In the third inning, Dominican catcher Sandy Martinez led off the frame with a single to center field off Puerto Rico starter William Collazo, and Melky Cabrera followed with a walk. Hernandez hit a single to load the bases.

Two outs later, Miguel Tejada hit a ground-rule double that scored two runners to give Licey a 2-0 lead.

The lead did not last long.

In the bottom half of the inning, Puerto Rico left fielder Pedro Valdes hit a three-run home run off starter Juan Cruz that scored Alex Cora and Ruben Gotay to give Carolina a 3-2 lead.

The Dominican Republic tied the score at 3 in the sixth and threatened to score more, but Puerto Rico left-hander Stevenson Agusto struck out Martinez with the bases loaded on three consecutive pitches to end the inning.

Tied at 3 in the top of the seventh, Dominican Republic first baseman Willis Otanez reached on an error that proved costly. Hernandez, who hit a one-out triple earlier in the inning, scored on the play. Tejada advanced to second base, and just like that, Licey was ahead, 4-3.

It would be their final lead of the game.

As for Cruz, he was charged with five hits and three runs in five innings. Collazo gave up three runs and six hits in 5 1/3 innings pitched.

"We are going to keep going out there and keep having fun," Landestoy said. "What happens, happens. We are going to do what we did all year. Do our job."
    Licey campeón today and always!

Comment

Venezuela Rolls Over Mexico at Home - Catcher Hernandez hits rare cycle

VALENCIA, Venezuela -- With host Venezuela engaging Mexico, the 2006 Caribbean Series got off to a rousing start Thursday night. It was equal parts Super Bowl halftime show and World Cup soccer match at Estadio Jose Bernardo Perez.

A salsa group rocked in the middle of the infield, surrounded by sequined dancers, as fireworks exploded beyond the outfield walls -- temporarily silencing an energetic Mexican band.

Colorful banners swayed in the stands as locals tried to drown out the blaring Mexican instruments by serenading the visitors with chants and songs.

All this commotion, and Ramon Hernandez and Alexander Cabrera hadn't even begun the real fireworks display.

Cabrera, Caracas' designated basher, got the assault started with his two-run blast in the fourth. Hernandez capped a huge night with a three-run homer in the ninth, completing a rare cycle in a 17-1 pounding of a dazed Mazatlan crew.

"Yeah, I finally got one," Hernandez said of the cycle, which came in six at-bats. "I came close with the Padres last year [missing by a triple in Oakland]. I'm very content. It's a great feeling to be playing for your country in this event. I really enjoy the Caribbean Series, especially playing at home.

"It's a great start for us, but it's another game mañana."

Cabrera, who tied a Japanese league record with 55 homers in 2002 for the Seibu Lions, got it started when he cleaned up on a Pablo Ortega pitch, driving it over the left-field wall for a two-run blast in the fourth.

As the stadium erupted, the inspired Caracas club was on its way to a 21-hit romp, riding the right arm of Geremi Gonzalez and the smoking-hot bats of Hernandez, Cabrera, Luis Rodriguez and Alex Gonzalez.

The fearsome foursome combined for 14 hits -- four each by Hernandez and Gonzalez -- along with eight runs scored and 14 RBIs.

Hernandez, the former Padre who will grace the Orioles this season, left no doubt with his tremendous three-run homer in the ninth after narrowly missing the center-field seats in his previous at-bat.

Playing first, Hernandez followed Cabrera's blast in the fourth with a scorching triple to right, beating the relay with a head-first slide that showed the true meaning of this Series to the players.

Hernandez scored on a single by Venezuela League batting champion Rodriguez of the Minnesota Twins, but Ortega pitched out of a bases-loaded predicament, striking out Henry Blanco and Alejandro Machado.

Geremi Gonzalez, a 30-year-old right-hander signed by the Mets after he spent last season in Boston, was in midseason form, striking out seven while giving up three hits and two walks in seven innings.

Gonzalez worked out of a two-on jam following Miguel Ojeda's double in the fourth, retiring Juan Carlos Canizalez on a sharp grounder to third.

Cabrera, who batted .262 with five homers in 31 games as an Arizona Diamondback in 2000, drove in a third run by tapping a single to right in the fifth. This delivered Marco Scutaro, who'd singled and advanced on a fly ball.

Mazatlan broke through in the sixth when Oscar Robles doubled, advanced on Geremi Gonzalez's errant pickoff throw and scored on Mario Valenzuela's infield out.

Caracas busted it open in the seventh with four hits and a walk, all with two outs. Rodriguez, after singles by Cabrera and Hernandez, smoked a two-run double to deep center, later scoring on Alex Gonzalez's third hit, a single to left against reliever Jose Cobos.

Hernandez nearly launched a three-run homer in the eighth against lefty Julio Cesar Jimenez, settling for a two-run double when the ball bounced off the top of the wall.

Run-scoring singles by Rafael Angel Alvarez and Michael Sandoval preceded Hernandez's shot. Rodriguez's RBI double gave him three hits and four RBIs.

Mexico will try to kick-start its offense on Friday against the Dominican Republic, while Venezuela moves to Maracay on Friday night to face Puerto Rico.

Comment

More baseball.....thank you.

Ahhhh........ that felt good!

Comment

Tejada powers D.R. past Mazatlan

By Lyle Spencer / MLB.com

VALENCIA, Venezuela -- Mexico suddenly was feeling much better about its place in the 2006 Caribbean Series, riding a 4-0 lead into the fifth inning on Friday afternoon behind its veteran ace, Francisco Campos.

That's when lightning and thunder struck again, this time in the form of the Dominican Republic and the great Miguel Tejada.

Picking up where Ramon Hernandez and Venezuela had left off the night before, Tejada crushed a game-turning, two-out, three-run homer to right center, powering Licey on its way to a 10-6 triumph at Stadium Jose Bernardo Perez despite a pair of solo homers among four hits by Mazatlan second baseman Edgar Gonzalez.

"That was a moment he likes," said Licey manager Rafael Landestoy of Tejada, the Orioles' superstar shortstop, who is in the DH role for the Dominican Republic. "He told us in the dugout that he was looking for a pitch up and away -- luckily, he got what he was looking for. He's a great hitter."

Though it was Tejada who delivered the big blow, center fielder Alexis Gomez was a steady force for Licey with four hits, including a two-run double in the fifth ahead of Tejada's blast.

"Alexis Gomez can be a five-tool player," said Landestoy of the man who plays in the Detroit Tigers system. "He's going to need some time, but he's going to play for us for now. He can help us in a lot of ways -- defensively, with his glove, with his speed and with his power."

Gomez called it a "big thrill" and said that he's trying to do his part to help Licey claim the title.

"My first four-hit game in the Caribbean World Series, that's going to give me confidence for every game," said Gomez.

Mazatlan fell to 0-2, and Licey improved to 2-0 heading into its showdown on Saturday night against host Venezuela's Caracas outfit, headlined by Hernandez.

"That should be a great game," said Landestoy.

Bouncing back admirably following its 17-1 loss to the Hernandez-cycle-powered Caracas in the opener, Mexico went to work on veteran right-hander Julian Tavarez in the third after he'd set down the first seven batters.

Gonzalez put the spring in Mazatlan's step with a towering homer to dead center. With two outs, 10-year Major League veteran Trenidad Hubbard singled, then stopped at third on Oscar Robles' ground-rule double to right center.

That was a bad break -- Hubbard would have scored had the ball stayed in play -- but it didn't matter when Juan Carlos Canizalez ripped a two-run single off the glove of second baseman Anderson Hernandez. Jesse Gutierrez's double into the left-field corner delivered Canizalez, giving Mazatlan a four-run cushion.

Tavarez didn't finish the inning, yielding to Wilton Chavez for the final out.

Campos, meanwhile, was rolling along, having faced one batter over the minimum through four innings with the quality stuff that has made him a Mexican star for years.

Then, in a sudden flurry, everything unraveled for Mazatlan. The Dominican hitters picked up the beat with a walk by Ron Belliard with one out in the fifth, followed by Timo Perez's single and a two-run double to left by Gomez.

After catcher Sandy Martinez was hit by a pitch, Hernandez singled to left, scoring Gomez. Campos was close to escaping when he retired Erick Aybar for the second out, but up walked the menacing Tejada -- and he didn't wait long to ruin Campos' fine day.

On the first pitch, Tejada -- who'd struck out and grounded out previously -- lashed out in the manner of a true superstar who knows how to respond to the moment. Fans leaped out of their seats as the ball exploded off his bat and carried over the wall in right center -- a bomb in any park.

Tejada pounded his chest before crossing home plate, exchanging power high-fives with teammates in the waiting line extending to the dugout.

Campos finished the inning and retired a batter in the sixth before departing. Lefty Mauricio Lara came on and was touched for two runs, one attached to Campos, and now Licey was in command.

Big Jose Valverde had come to Chavez's rescue when Mazatlan threatened in the sixth with Gonzalez's third hit and catcher's interference. Valverde blew down Hubbard with heat, then broke Robles' bat on an out to second.

Mario Valenzuela finally got Mexico back on the board in the eighth with a solo homer to right against Valverde. Gonzalez followed with his second blast to center. Undaunted, Valverde skipped off the mound, high-fiving teammates, as he was relieved by Jorge Sosa, who shut down Mazatlan in the eighth and ninth.

Licey tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the ninth. Hernandez singled home a run against southpaw Jose Luis Garcia, and Aybar's sacrifice fly plated Gomez, who'd singled for the third time behind Perez's second single.
          Last edited by Licey Fan; 02-03-2006, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Scutaro's slam propels Venezuela

By Jesse Sanchez / MLB.com

MARACAY, Venezuela -- Imagine being a star in your home country. A fan favorite and a baseball hero in the winter.

During the summer in the United States, you're a backup.

Welcome to Marco Scutaro's world. Don't feel bad though, it's not such a bad place, especially after Friday night at Estadio Jose Perez Colmenares.

Scutaro, an infielder for Oakland, hit a grand slam in the second inning to propel Venezuela to a 6-1 victory against Puerto Rico and secure a spot in Caribbean Series lore.

He says he sports his famous No. 19 jersey during the winter months for his beloved Leones because he loves playing for his country. He could also use the extra work.

"I think it's an advantage playing here," said Scutaro, 30. "We're in good shape from playing all year and we get to Spring Training ready to go. I'm just hoping for a chance to show what I can do."

Scutaro and his Caracas teammates are 2-0 in round-robin play. The Dominican Republic is also undefeated after two games, and the two teams square off Saturday night in Valencia.

Puerto Rico and Mexico are scheduled for the matinee, also in Valencia. Both teams are 0-2.

"The Dominican team is very good and has a lot of offense, and so does Puerto Rico. So do we," said Venezuela manager Carlos Subero. "It all depends on the pitching. As long as we keep pitching, we will do well. So far, it's been good."

Scutaro, the Venezuelan star, is still seeking celebrity in the United States. In his home country, he is the No. 1 man at second base. In Oakland, he is Bobby Crosby's backup at shortstop and is behind starter Mark Ellis at second base. Scutaro can also play third base, but the chance of seeing playing time at the position is slim to none. All-Star third baseman Eric Chavez played in 160 games for the A's last season, and Antonio Perez could be the primary backup for Chavez.

That said, a solid Caribbean Series could boost Scutaro's status with the Major League club. The infielder hit .247 with nine home runs and 37 RBIs in 118 games for Oakland last year. He has a .256 career batting average with 92 RBIs and 19 home runs in 320 Major League games with the Mets and Athletics since 2002.

"We have a good team and I want to do my part," Scutaro said. "I don't know what the plans are for me. I want to be ready."

It shows. Ask Puerto Rico starter Jim Magrane.

Magrane cruised through the first inning and retired the first two hitters he faced in the second. He appeared on his way to another scoreless inning.

He wasn't.

Henry Blanco walked and Javier Herrera followed with a single. Luis Rodriguez hit a single to load the bases to set up a heroic situation for Scutaro.

He didn't disappoint.

During the memorable at-bat, Scutaro worked the count full and then connected on a Magrane fastball. The ball landed just beyond the fence in left field for the first grand slam of the series, sending the crowd into a frenzy.

"I made good contact," Scutaro said. "It was over the middle of the plate and I was able to hit it out. I was not looking to hit a home run. I wanted to hit it hard."

The Venezuelan team tacked on two more runs -- one on a double by Ramon Hernandez, and another on an RBI single by Franklin Gutierrez -- to pull ahead, 6-0.

It was more than enough.

"To get past Puerto Rico is not easy, but things have worked out this season for us," Scutaro said. "I'm really happy with what has happened to me, and I thank God for the opportunity. I'm trying to remain calm. I'm going to walk first and then I'm going to run. We'll see what happens."

Magrane was replaced by Giancarlo Alvarado soon after and spent the remainder of the game watching the action from the bench.

Venezuela starter Orlando Trias pitched three scoreless innings before giving up an RBI single to Luis Figueroa in the fourth to end the shutout. He allowed six hits and one run in five innings of work for the win before yielding to Wilfredo Rodriguez in the sixth.

"I'm always here for Venezuela and it is a great honor to play for my country," Hernandez said. "This is the country that gave me life. It's where I grew up. I'm going to do all I can so we can win."

Comment

Current Standings

VEN 2-0 .999
              DOM 2-0 .999
              PUR 0-2 .000
              MEX 0-2 .000

Today's Matchups

PUR @ MEX
              VEN @ DOM

Comment

P.R. grabs wild one from Mexico

VALENCIA, Venezuela -- The noises coming out of Estadio Jose Bernardo Perez on Saturday afternoon were impressive.

The Mexican cheers, the Puerto Rican chants, combined with the steady smack of baseballs hitting bats every inning were all the rage.

But in the end, it was the near-silent sigh of relief coming out of the visitors' dugout that proved to be most important sound of the night.

Puerto Rico edged Mexico, 10-9, to give the club its first win in the 2006 Caribbean Series and provide them with hope the international series can be salvaged.

Puerto Rico, like Mexico, entered the matinee with a 0-2 record in the series. Unlike Mexico, Puerto Rico entered Saturday's game with a 1-14 record in it last 15 Caribbean Series games.

"We really needed this one," Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Alex Cintron said. "We've been struggling in the Caribbean Series and not having a lot of fun. We feel pretty relaxed, and I'm hoping we can win the next three games.

"I hope the people of Puerto Rico can be happy and believe in us again."

Confidence in its club is likely one of the many emotions Puerto Rican fans were feeling for their beloved baseball team. Add nervous, cautious and a little anxious to that list during this see-saw battle that culminated with Jesus Feliciano scoring the deciding run for Puerto Rico in the ninth inning when he came home on a throwing error by Mexico second baseman Edgar Gonzalez.

"It's a fantastic feeling," Puerto Rico manager Leno Rivera said after the win. "My kids didn't quit and they played hard the entire time. I think this will help us be ready for [Sunday] and the rest of the series."

After falling behind, 1-0, in the first inning, Puerto Rico roared back with four runs in the second inning.

In the third inning, Puerto Rico extended the lead to 5-1 when Jose Valentin scored on a single by Edwards Guzman.

The margin was big, but Puerto Rico's comfortable lead vanished quickly.

Very quickly.

In the bottom half of the third, Mexico rallied for five runs to pull ahead, 6-5, with the final run of the frame coming on an error by Puerto Rico's Alex Cora.

The action was just beginning.

The very next inning, Puerto Rico answered with a run on an RBI single by Pedro Valdes that scored Ruben Gotay to tie the game at 6.

The teams exchanged runs in the fifth, which was followed by a scoreless sixth inning -- the first inning without a run of the game. In the seventh, Victor Rodriguez hit a two-run home run for Puerto Rico for yet another lead. That is, until Mexico responded with a two-run homer of its own -- this time by Luis Cruz -- to tie the game at 9. Pirates prospect Ray Sadler hit a triple to set up Cruz's homer.

After the game, the players were visibly excited. And also visibly relieved.

"I think we can breathe and relax a little now," Cintron said. "I know I will sleep better knowing we won."

Cruz finished 4-for-5 with five RBIs. Gonzalez also finished 4-for-5.

Puerto Rico starter Ariel Prieto was charged with seven runs on 10 hits in 5 2/3 innings before yielding to Julio Jimenez. Ivan Maldonado earned the win for Puerto Rico with three scoreless innings. He allowed one hit.

Jose Luis Garcia was tagged with the loss for Mexico after allowing one run on two hits in 1 1/3 innings.

Guzman and Luis Figueroa each had three hits to pace Puerto Rico's offense.

"We didn't pitch really well but our hitting was there tonight," Rivera said. "I knew if we could get to the bullpen we had a chance. We hit, but they also hit us. I'm so happy we won. We kept fighting."

Comment

Awesome Game!!!

Hey guys!!! I just wanted to let you know that I'm really sorry for those of you who didn't got the chance to see last night's game between the Dominican Republic and Venezuela...

Even though DR lost the game... IT WAS AN AWESOME GAME!!! The atmosphere really got me hyped up for the WBC, with all the dominican and venezuelan flags mixed in a packed stadium (even though that maybe happened because the game was in vzla... Maybe in USA won't be that way)

The game was a real slugfest... But Ven got the best part of it... I'll post MLB's summary when it's ready tomorrow...

I'll just put it this way...

DR was leading 5-0 in the 4th, then 5-1, then 6-1 in the 5th, then 6-2 in the 6th, then 7-2 in the 6th... then venezuela had a huge 7th and tied the game at 7-7...

DR went ahead 8-7 in the bot of the 7th, then vzla tied up again...
                  DR went once again ahed 9-8 in the bot of the 8th...

In the 9th... Alex Gonzalez (remember the walkoff homerun in the 2003 WS against the Yankees?) Hit a 3 run homerun to put venezuela ahead 11-9... and then they brought K-Rod to seal the deal...

Caracas Lions of Venezuela 11 - Licey Tigers of DR 9

AWESOME GAME!!! I HOPE TO SEE THAT IN THE CLASSIC!!!

(but if DR wins, it would be even better )

Comment

Gonzalez's blast powers Venezuela - Homer downs Dominican Republic in Caribbean Serie

VALENCIA, Venezuela -- The Boston Red Sox have a new shortstop, Alex Gonzalez, and he hit a Bucky Dent home run on Saturday night.

Only this time, there was no Green Monster and the home crowd went insane with joy.

After his three-run homer against the Dominican Republic's Jorge Sosa was the difference in a compelling 11-9 conquest for Venezuela at Estadio Jose Bernardo Perez in front of 15,889, Gonzalez conducted a few interviews on the field and then ran for his life to the clubhouse as media swarmed him, microphones and mini-cams flew.

Francisco Rodriguez, who pitched the ninth inning to nail it down for Caracas, also had to run for cover under the adrenaline-fueled camera crews who pushed and elbowed for room. K-Rod couldn't recall this brand of craziness when his Anaheim Angels won the 2002 World Series.

The triumph vaulted Venezuela to the top in the Series with a 3-0 record. The Dominican Republic is 2-1, with Puerto Rico 1-2 and Mexico 0-3.

For Gonzalez, there has been nothing to match the feeling he experienced creating a delirious ending for countrymen and countrywomen who will talk about this game for the rest of their lives.

"This homer is even more important than the one I hit for the Marlins in the [12th inning of Game 4 of the 2003] World Series," Gonzalez said. "This was for my country."

Licey scored in every inning but the ninth, when Rodriguez silenced Tejada and Co. There were 30 hits, 15 to a side, eight homers, five by Licey, and no errors in a true classic.

After an inauspicious beginning, the Caracas crew rallied furiously in the middle innings and again late to make this everything the fanaticos could have wanted -- and then some.

Like Ali and Frazier in Madison Square Garden, the unbeaten heavyweights from Venezuela and the Dominican Republic exchanged power blows -- and it was Licey that actually did more damage before Gonzalez unloaded the shot heard 'round Latin America.

The Dominican Republic's five homers included blasts by Miguel Tejada in the seventh inning and Jose Offerman in the eighth that gave their team one-run leads.

Each time, however, Venezuela was equal to the challenge.

Responding to Tejada's homer in the seventh, Caracas tied it at 8 when Luis Rodriguez singled home Henry Blanco, who'd doubled.

Trailing 9-8 going into the top of the ninth after Offerman's blow, Ramon Hernandez opened the rally with a single through the middle against reliever Roman Colon.

After Franklin Guiterrez's single sent pinch-runner William Bergolla to third, Licey manager Rafael Landestoy called on Sosa, who'd been lights out in earlier games.

Gonzalez walked up looking for a slider and got one up in the zone that he was able to yank down the left-field line and over the fence, touching off a celebration to which the word "wild" doesn't do justice.

"This crowd's gotta be like the [Houston] Astrodome -- it's right there, and it's so loud," said pitcher Julian Tavarez of Licey. "This is the best game I've ever seen in the Caribbean Series. I think it's the best game you're going to see in the Caribbean Series."

It reminded Tavarez of another World Series game -- the opener of the 2004 Series, with Boston beating his St. Louis Cards, 11-9, when Mark Bellhorn launched a two-run homer against him.

"I was the losing pitcher in that game -- and it was the same score," Tavarez said.

The win in this one went to Juan Carlos Ovalles, the loss to Roman Colon.

The crowd came to life in the seventh inning when Caracas roared back from a 7-2 deficit with five runs, two coming on a double by Luis Rodriguez and two more on a towering homer by big Alexander Cabrera.

Licey manager Rafael Landestoy, who got six solid innings from Jared Fernandez before the right-hander weakened in the seventh and didn't get an out, watched southpaw Valerio De los Santos get raked by Luis Rodriguez before right-hander Eddie Ramos surrender the bomb to Cabrera that had fans dancing in the aisles.

Licey struck quickly behind its table-setters, Hernandez and Aybar, taking command against Venezeula right-hander Harold Eckert.

With six hits in 11 at-bats coming in, Hernandez stayed hot with a leadoff single to right. Aybar, hitless in his first 10 plate appearances, went ahead 3-0 in the count, took a strike and then slashed a drive into the right-field seats.

While Jared Fernandez was frustrating the Caracas crew with his assortment of deliveries, the Licey offense kept up the pressure. After Timo Perez was thrown out trying to stretch a single for the second out in the second inning, Offerman stroked a double to right and scored on a single by catcher Sandy Martinez.

Aybar was the catalyst in the third, singling to lead off. When Eckert drilled Tejada with a pitch, his night was over. In came Yorman Brazado, and he restored order after Aybar scored on a wild pitch.

Licey made it 5-0 in the fourth when Offerman and Martinez singled, with Aybar's double-play ball delivering Offerman after a Hernandez walk.

Caracas finally made its fanaticos happy in the fifth when Blanco unloaded a solo homer to left. But the Dominicans got it back when Ronnie Belliard went deep against Mauro Zarate in the fifth.

Caracas pushed across a run in the sixth when Franklin Guiterrez rocketed a double to left center to plate Rafael Alvarez, but Ramon Hernandez was shot down at home on a tremendous relay by Aybar, the shortstop throwing a strike from shallow left field.

There can't be many shortstops in the Major Leagues with better guns than Aybar, who belongs to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and whose brother, Wily, plays for L.A.'s other club, the Dodgers.

Hernandez, a dynamic second baseman who could convince Mets manager Willie Randolph he deserves a serious look, produced his eighth hit of the series in the sixth -- a solo blast against Zarate for the 7-2 lead that Caracas managed to erase.

The excitement was only starting. It was left to Gonzalez and K-Rod to close the show -- and run to safety as Venezuela erupted in joy.

Comment

Current Standings

Caracas Lions (VEN) 3-0
                      Licey Tigers (DOM) 2-1
                      Carolina Giants (PUR) 1-2
                      Mazatlan Deers (MEX) 0-3

Today's Games

[email protected]
                      [email protected]

If you want to see the highlights for yesterday's game (in my opinion, the best I've seen in my life watching the caribbean world series, and that's at least 10CWS), go to MLB.com... You'll find it there http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ev...agues_2006.jsp

Comment

Resilient Dominican squad tops P.R. - Licey's 6-run 7th eases frustration of Sat Loss

MARACAY, Venezuela -- It was the day after a very long night, and it could have brought a debilitating Super Sunday hangover.

Physically and emotionally drained following Saturday night's loss to Venezuela in a Caribbean Series classic, Dominican Republic champion Licey took a while to get warmed up before showing its resilience -- and toughness -- against Puerto Rico.

With cleanup man Napoleon Calzado fueling the rally with his third hit, an RBI double, Licey (3-1) busted loose with six seventh-inning runs to cruise home with a 9-2 decision at the expense of Carolina (1-3) at Estadio Jose Perez Colmenares, keeping the heat on Venezuela.

"It was a tough, tough loss to Venezuela," said Licey manager Rafael Landestoy, "but it was important to come back today and win this game. We did what we've done all year long.

"Not only was it difficult because of the [11-9] loss. Some of the guys got to sleep around 6 in the morning. You have to get something to eat, take a shower, think about the game -- and then it's morning, time to get ready for the next game.

"They really did show something winning this game. The pitching was the difference."

It was good from Licey's side -- not so good from Carolina's.

Erick Aybar started the big inning with a single, and catcher Sandy Martinez finished it with a two-run double. There were four walks, a wild pitch and a passed ball as a 3-2 game got away from Carolina's bullpen.

Luis Arroyo was effective in relief of Josue Matos, but neither Matt Hammons nor Stevenson Agosto could find the strike zone with any consistency, and there went Carolina's chances.

Starter Danny Tamayo and the Licey bullpen came through impressively, shutting down Carolina.

"It wasn't that difficult coming back," said Ronnie Belliard, who singled home the first Licey run. "We lost that game. But we're still alive. If we beat Mexico, then we play Venezuela again, and we'll see what happens."

Center fielder Alexis Gomez, a Detroit Tigers prospect who has played superbly for Licey, singled and scored twice.

Matos took care of the top of the Licey order, featuring Miguel Tejada in the No. 3 hole, but he was undone by the middle of the order before Arroyo replaced him with two outs in the fourth, retiring Anderson Hernandez to leave two runners stranded.

Calzado led off the second inning with a single and took third when center fielder Jose Valentin bobbled Gomez's single to left-center field for an error, putting both men in scoring position.

Belliard's lined single to center cashed in Calzado, and Timo Perez's sacrifice fly delivered Gomez.

In the fourth, Gomez led off with a single, advanced on an infield out and scored on Perez's single to right.

Tamayo, meanwhile, was toying with Carolina, surrendering only a pair of singles and a walk through five innings.

Puerto Rico finally broke through in the sixth, when Alex Cora singled and scored on Ruben Gotay's double into the right-field corner. Tamayo was one out away from escaping, when Valentin went the opposite way to left for a run-scoring double to draw Carolina to within a run.

A weary bullpen got some breathing room with the six-run seventh, which helped finish the job. Southpaw Valerio de los Santos blanked Puerto Rico in the seventh and eighth innings, and right-hander Wilton Chavez finished the job.

"We needed to get a good effort from Tamayo, and he came through for us," Landestoy said. "Our bullpen was pretty tired after [Saturday] night."
                        Last edited by Licey Fan; 02-06-2006, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Venezuela edges Mexico in extras - Caribbean Series record sits at 4-0 as Cabrera del

MARACAY, Venezuela -- Venezuela designated hitter Alex Cabrera walks with a swagger in part because of necessity, and in part because of personality.

He's a big muscle-bound slugger, conservatively listed at 6-foot-2, 218 pounds, and he hits the baseball far -- very far -- especially in parks across Venezuela. When he swings and misses, fans swoon as much as when he connects on a long ball. To say he is confident is an understatement.

On Sunday against Mexico, Cabrera walked tall -- and slowly -- again. And he did it with good reason -- again. Cabrera's base hit with the bases loaded in extra innings propelled Venezuela to a 4-3 victory at Estadio Jose Perez Colmenares to keep his club perfect after four games in Caribbean Series play.

Cabrera, known primarily for his play in Venezuela and in Japan, was the biggest star of the night -- again. He hit 55 home runs in Japan to tie the all-time record in 2002. His Major League career is made up of only 31 games with Arizona in 2000.

"The fans wanted a home run but I was concentrating on making contact," Cabrera said. "Anything to bring the run in I was going to do. I was ready since I was on the on-deck circle."

After connecting on a game-winning hit off Mexico's Ignacio Flores, Cabrera jogged for two steps, a few paces later he leaped in the air.

Venezuela loaded the bases with Marty McLeary on the mound for Mexico. He would not stay there. Enter Flores for Mexico to face the big slugger.

Cabrera smacked a line drive down the third-base line just out of the grasp of third baseman Oscar Robles to score Luis Rodriguez and send Venezuela to the victory column.

Venezuela improves to 4-0 in Caribbean Series play. Mexico is 0-4.

"I'm really happy I hit it," Cabrera said. "I think we are made to be champions."

The biggest hero of the night almost came from Mexico in the visiting dugout.

With Venezuela ahead 3-1 with one out in the ninth, Mexico designated hitter Juan Canizalez connected on a delivery from Angels closer Francisco Rodriguez, a hanging breaking ball on a 1-1 count, and deposited it over the wall in right field to tie the game at 3. Veteran Trenidad Hubbard, who had reached base with a single and advanced to second on a stolen base, almost ended the game before Canizalez even had the chance to put his swing in motion. Hubbard stole third base, arriving head-first a fraction of a second ahead of the tag.

On the next pitch Canizalez hit the home run. Hubbard could finally stop running. It was trotting time. K-Rod threw 22 pitches in the inning and would not return.

Tied at 1 in the bottom of the fifth, Franklin Gutierrez led off the frame with a single off Mexico starter Edgar Gerardo Gonzalez and advanced to second base on a sacrifice bunt. One out later, Javier Herrera walked and Luis Rodriguez smashed a double down the left-field line that scored Gutierrez to give Venezuela its first lead of the game, 2-1.

Ramon Hernandez connected on his second home run of the series the next inning to extend Venezuela's lead to 3-1. Gonzalez struck out Gutierrez to end the inning, but the damage had been done.

Second baseman Edgar Victor Gonzalez, a Nationals prospect, did the usual. During his first at-bat, he smacked a solo home run off Venezuelan starter Landon Jacobson with two outs in the second inning to give Mexico an early 1-0 lead.

With the home run, Gonzalez did the impossible, quieting the boisterous crowd at Estadio Jose Perez Colmenares -- at least temporarily.

The silencing home run should come as no surprise. Gonzalez entered Sunday's game on a tear, hitting .818 with nine hits in his first 11 at-bats. That streak included eight consecutive hits and two home runs.

Edgar V. finished 2-for-3 and is still hitting. 786.

As for Edgar G., he shut down the Venezuelan offense for three innings, limiting the powerful club to one run while retiring the first eight batters. Marco Scutaro notched a one-out double to start the fourth inning and advanced to third on a well-placed ground ball to the right side of the infield by Rafael Alvarez.

Two outs. Cabrera strolled to the plate. He whiffed badly on an offspeed pitch before watching the second pitch cruise by for a called strike. The third delivery would never reach the catcher's mitt, as the slugger did not disappoint the locals, fighting off an inside pitch and sending in to right field to score Scutaro to tie the game at 1.

Edgar G. would go on to pitch seven total innings, allowing three runs on six hits. He struck out three batters.

Jacobsen topped him by stifling the Mexican offense with seven stellar innings. The right-hander in the Pirates system stymied the Mexican offense, giving up only one run before yielding to Victor Moreno in the eighth.

"This team reminds me of the 1982 team that won the championship in Hermosillo [Mexico]," Caracas Baseball Club general manager Oscar Prieto said. "Every day there is a new hero because everyone is concentrating on doing his job. They love the jersey like the 1982 team used to love it."

Comment

Standings

VEN 4-0
                            DOM 3-1
                            PUR 1-3
                            MEX 0-4

Today's Games:

[email protected]
                            [email protected]

Comment

D.R. sets stage for Venezuela rematch

MARACAY, Venezuela -- Before the Dominican Republic could even start to think about Tuesday's grudge match against Venezuela, the club's focus was on Monday's game against Mexico.

Get by Mexico, and Tuesday's game would matter. The order of business then becomes beating Venezuela, setting up a one-game playoff for the 2006 Caribbean Series title.

Phase one is complete.

The Dominican Republic got by Mexico, 3-1, and now the stage is set for a showdown. The Dominican is 4-1 after five games, with its only loss coming against Venezuela, 11-9, on Saturday. Venezuela entered Monday night's matchup against Puerto Rico (1-3) with a perfect 4-0 record after four round-robin games.

Worst-case scenario? The Dominicans return home after finishing in second place in the tournament.

The thing is, second place is not acceptable.

"Today was a really important game for us," said left fielder Napoleon Calzado. "We have to come out and play hard tomorrow, because I believe we can win this series. It all depends on us. We can do it.

"The other night we played a good game," he continued. "Tomorrow we will play even better."

On Monday, it almost took the Dominican Republic's best effort to pull out the victory, in part because of Mexico starter Walter Silva. Silva shut down the powerful Dominican Republic offense for five innings, allowing only two hits during that span and giving Mexico hope for an upset.

The hope faded.

Everything would change in the sixth -- for the better for the Dominican club, for the worse for Mexico.

Following a flyout by Anderson Hernandez to start the fateful inning, Erick Aybar walked on five pitches. Aybar eventually stole second and raced home after a sinking line-drive double to center field by Calzado that tied the game at 1. Alexis Gomez extended the lead to 2-1 with a deep drive to right field that bounced off the wall for another run-scoring double.

The Dominican Republic's offense had finally awakened. Their fans followed shortly after, dancing and waving their country's red-white-and-navy blue flag like mad.

Neither the offense nor the fans would slow down.

Chicago White Sox outfielder Timo Perez drove in Cleveland third baseman Ronnie Belliard in the ninth inning to give the Dominican Republic a two-run cushion.

It would prove to be enough.

Baltimore starter Daniel Cabrera shone on the mound for the Dominican Republic, allowing only two hits and one run in five strong innings. He struck out five and walked two in the 86-pitch outing.

Cabrera's lone blemish came in the fifth inning -- after four scoreless innings to start the game -- with a wild pitch that scored Mario Valenzuela from third base to give Mexico a 1-0 lead. Valenzuela had hit a single to left field to lead off the frame.

"Pitching in this series is not easy, because every team is good and can hit," said Cabrera. "I was feeling really good out there. I had a headache yesterday, but I woke up feeling fine today. I was not affected by that at all. I am happy, but we still have another game to play."

Mexico, the 2005 defending champion, is 0-5 in Caribbean Series play this season.

"That Mexican team did not give up, and they are better than their record," said Perez. "We didn't give up either. We got it this time. It's been fun."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X