The Team USA Thread for the WBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Team USA Thread for the WBC

For USA fans making the trip to Arizona or Southern California I believe we should have an offical song for Baseball Fever members for the US.

Hey (Country we are playing)

We have Jeter

Hey ............

Is that a Double A you have at shortstop

Hey ..............

We have the Rocket

Hey ................

Who is that beer leaguer you have on the mound

Hey ..............,

We have A-Rod

Hey ...............

Your 3rd basemen could not even play for the Royals

Hey ..................

We are the US of A we invented baseball

Hey ..................

Why don't you stick to ( What Ever their major sport is)

Hey we are the US of A

There is Jeter

There is the Rocket

There is A-Rod

Hey we are the US of A

and Who the f.... are you

If we depend on the Rocket, I think we will not make out of the second round. For the record, how old is he?

USA would be better of with the young guns rather than using Grandpa.

Comment

If I were the manager this would be my line-up.:gt

Damon CF
      Jeter SS
      Rodriguez DH
      Griffey LF
      Lee 1B
      Jones 3B
      Wells RF
      Varitek C
      Utley 2B
      Such a pity!

Comment

I have Jetter's rookie card if anyone wants to trade.
        "I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter."

Comment

Originally posted by Kiefer
          If I were the manager this would be my line-up.:gt

Damon CF
          Jeter SS
          Rodriguez DH
          Griffey LF
          Lee 1B
          Jones 3B
          Wells RF
          Varitek C
          Utley 2B

No Michael Young in 2B!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubano100%
            No Michael Young in 2B!
            I prefer Utley because he is a left-handed hitter.
            Such a pity!

Comment

Team USA to announce roster Tuesday

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/...t=.jsp&sid=wbc

Comment

Drop all tensions

Ok, now im a die hard Soxs fan, and i hate the Yankees with a passion, but.... I think that all tensions between redsox and yankee fans should be dropped (temparily!) for the WBC. Agree?

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
                  Ok, now im a die hard Soxs fan, and i hate the Yankees with a passion, but.... I think that all tensions between redsox and yankee fans should be dropped (temparily!) for the WBC. Agree?
                  I guess that all depends on how much the star spangled banner means to fans over and above team loyalty. If I was American I would be with you all the way - playing for my country stands ahead of team loyalty here!!
                  "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
                    I guess that all depends on how much the star spangled banner means to fans over and above team loyalty. If I was American I would be with you all the way - playing for my country stands ahead of team loyalty here!!
                    This will be a learning process for most American baseball fans, who have never been treated to a real world cup. The closest analogy might be the first basketball Dream Team, which succeeded in winning over Americans even though it was a collection of players who you were required to hate unless you happened to root for their club teams (e.g. Barkley, Mailman, Bird, Jordan, and Pippen). Of course, any momentum that the Dream Team gained has been frittered away with the new generation of self-abosrbed, preening, cowardly, and unpatriotic players.

As a Red Sox fan, I have no problem rooting for A-rod, Jeter or Damon. I will turn on anyone, however, if they fail to play for national pride. Sheffield has proven exactly why I hate him, and he has done us all a favor by opting out of the WBC. So has his "creamy" mentor, Bonds. Hopefully, the WBC will transform baseball from a provincial sport, where Americans ignore nationality and judge the best by who gets paid the most, to an international sport, where the best players are expected to contribute on the international stage.

Right now, there are far too many Americans who don't know anything about the WBC, or who view it with the same curiosity that they might have for curling or the luge. I hope this changes.
                    Last edited by Bonus; 02-14-2006, 10:11 AM.

Comment

yeah, it would be great if some attitudes changed, bonus.
                      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

USA 30-man roster announced

Here is the USA 30-man roster:

Starters (4):
                        Roger Clemens, Jacob Peavy, Dontrelle Willis and C.C. Sabathia.

Relievers (10):
                        Chad Cordero, Brian Fuentes, Todd Jones, Brad Lidge, Joe Nathan, Scot Shields, Huston Street, Mike Timlin, Billy Wagner and Dan Wheeler.

Catchers (3):
                        Michael Barrett, Brian Schneider and Jason Varitek.

Infielders (7):
                        Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, Derrek Lee, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Chase Utley and Michael Young.

Outfielders (6):
                        Johnny Damon, Jeff Francoeur, Ken Griffey Jr., Matt Holliday, Vernon Wells and Randy Winn.

It looks like a solid team, but certainly not the best the USA could have fielded. The biggest dissappointment is pitching.[FN1] The US's advantage is that it has more scary Cy Young winners than any other country. By leaving off guys like Andy Pettitte, Mark Buehrle, Mark Mulder (oops I forgot he's Dutch)[FN2], Barry Zito, Randy Johnson, Chris Carpenter, Roy Oswalt, Josh Beckett, Jon Garland, Tim Hudson, Mark Prior, Greg Maddux, Mike Mussina and Jason Schmidt, we have really levelled the playing field with countries that only have 4 decent starters, if that. Bravo, USA, Bravo!

FN1: This is not to say that I am happy with the offensive squad. I personally think that Scott Podsednik's speed would have been a useful addition, not just for the outfield but also pinch running. I am not a big fan of selecting Chipper Jones over Morgan Ensberg or David Wright, especially cause Chipper has not been an effective switch hitter and also didn't play third for a couple of seasons.

FN2: The source of the confusion appears to be that Mulder is from South Holland, Illinois. Anyone could make that mistake.
                        Last edited by Bonus; 02-15-2006, 08:42 AM.

Comment

as i understand it, bonus, the only pitcher who you listed who is on the provisional roster is pettitte.
                          the others simply did not make themselves available for team usa, or declined final roster consideration.

minus those who decided against final consideration, the 30-man squad was selected from a whopping 45 players.

here are the players named on the provisional roster who were not selected for the 30-man squad.
                          should any of the 30-man guys leave, only these 15 provisional players can be replacements.

pitchers
                          jeremy bonderman
                          roy halladay
                          dan haren
                          al leiter
                          gary majewski
                          andy pettitte
                          ben sheets
                          tim hudson*
                          bret myers*

catchers
                          paul lo duca
                          chad moeller
                          joe mauer*

infielders
                          eric chavez
                          craig counsell
                          morgan ensberg
                          bill hall
                          david wright
                          jimmy rollins*

outfielders
                          luis gonzalez
                          lance berkman*
                          carl crawford*

*declined consideration for the final roster
                          Last edited by west coast orange and black; 02-14-2006, 02:08 PM.
                          "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                            as i understand it, bonus, the only pitcher who you listed who is on the provisional roster is pettitte. the others simply did not make themselves available for team usa, or declined final roster consideration.
                            Understood, west coast.

I am not saying that USA Baseball doesn't know how to name a team (well, I sort of am). I am saying that the players who opted out of consideration deserve blame. I lost all respect for the NBA when the so-called best players in the world like Kobe and T-Mac chickened out of Athens. I don't understand why so many baseball players are bowing out, and I don't care to. Bottom line: a player who turns his back on his country (even putting aside the moronic notion of having guys like Piazza play for Italy) loses a lot of respect. I think that right now, Dominicans, Cubans and Puerto Ricans are laughing at the US, who can't even get a clear majority of its players to play for it.

I will note that the problem goes beyond the US. I have heard reports that Nomar, Mariano Rivera, Hideki Matsui, Iguchi, Eric Gagne, etc. are opting out too. The truth might be that MLB or its owners are pressuing players not to play. The truth might be the baseball players have a bad attitude. The truth might be that players are scared of steroid testing under the WADA. Who knows.

Comment

the players are being pressured not to play, they are scared of steroid testing...

or it could simply be family considerations, health or wanting to participate in spring training with a new team, etc.

i guess it just comes down to how you feel about a player not participating.
                              me, i have no quarrels for any man to consider his livelihood, future earnings and many obligations when deciding.

"who knows" is right.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X