No announcement yet.

The Team USA Thread for the WBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while we are at it though, buehrle, mulder, zito, johnson, carpenter, oswalt, beckett, garland, prior, maddux, mussina and schmidt did not make themselves available and there was hardly a word peeped about it.

that's called double-standard.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

west coast,

The family point is unavailing, since players generally have to report to spring training in February. Moreover, two of the groups (including the Group the US is in) are playing in Spring Training areas anyway.

The money thing is also unavailing, since baseball players are unique the world over for getting paid, even if they get hurt. American Football players risk career ending injuries playing in the Pro Bowl and other stupid exhibitions that ESPN televises. If the WBC were MTV Rock 'n' Jock Softball, I bet more players will play.

And I certainly did take note of the players who opted out, so there is no double-standard from my perspective. (I will concede a lone exception: Mulder was named only for Holland and not the US, which led me to believe that he would play for Holland. I did not criticize him for this decision. The fact that after all that, he bowed out of playing for Holland suggests that he is a shiftless creep worthy of criticism). If the press is silent, it is because of my earlier point, that Americans don't even know what the heck is going on. However, when Johan Santana is outpitching CC Sabathia, I think that the average American fan will naturally ask, "where are all of our pitchers with sub-4.00 ERAs"?
      Last edited by Bonus; 02-15-2006, 08:53 AM.

Comment

though the u.s. team plays here in the states, mlb players on other squads will be outside the u.s. in tokyo and puerto rico. also, many players site family considerations when signing with a particular team. players on the u.s. team that would normally participate in the cactus and grapefruit leagues will not necessarily find themselves in arizona and florida, respectively. that can be a hardship or at least a difficulty.

re money: not limited to the present, but earning money over the length of a career.

i respect that you took note of those who opted out and that you have no double-standard on this. but very few in the media and very few fans, even here at bb-f, have commented on the numerous players who did not make themselves available for wbc play. to me, that is a double-standard.
        "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
          as i understand it, bonus, the only pitcher who you listed who is on the provisional roster is pettitte.
          the others simply did not make themselves available for team usa, or declined final roster consideration.

minus those who decided against final consideration, the 30-man squad was selected from a whopping 45 players.

here are the players named on the provisional roster who were not selected for the 30-man squad.
          should any of the 30-man guys leave, only these 15 provisional players can be replacements.

pitchers
          jeremy bonderman
          roy halladay
          dan haren
          al leiter
          gary majewski
          andy pettitte
          ben sheets
          tim hudson*
          bret myers*

catchers
          paul lo duca
          chad moeller
          joe mauer*

infielders
          eric chavez
          craig counsell
          morgan ensberg
          bill hall
          david wright
          jimmy rollins*

outfielders
          luis gonzalez
          lance berkman*
          carl crawford*

*declined consideration for the final roster

Luis Gonzalez is CubanAmerican so he should be playing for Cuba. His grandpa used to work for Tino Martinez's grandpa in the cigar factory he owned in Tampa. Hey if Mulder is Dutch Gonzalez is Cuban.

Comment

Originally posted by GiantPickle
            If we depend on the Rocket, I think we will not make out of the second round. For the record, how old is he?

USA would be better of with the young guns rather than using Grandpa.
            You have got to be freakin kidding me, right!?! He's only the best pitcher ever! Did you watch him play last year? He was practically unhittable. He should have had about 10 more wins too. The Stros didn't give him any run support. He is the best pitcher in the Classic and he's 40 plus yrs old I think.

Comment

Damon CF
              Jeter SS
              Rodriguez DH
              Griffey LF
              Lee 1B
              Jones 3B
              Wells RF
              Varitek C
              Utley/Young 2B

I think the USA has the best and most balanced lineup. Damon and Jeter are table settlers and are true leadoff hitters. Recent history have shown us that this type of teams are better than power teams only.

The Great Yankees run in the 1990s had Chuck Knoublack at the top with Jeter second.
              The Marlins had Pierre and Castillo.
              The White Sox had Podsecnik.
              Last edited by Cubano100%; 02-17-2006, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Jeter 'really excited' to play in WBC

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/...t=.jsp&sid=wbc

Comment

WBC runs rings around Olympic ball
                  02/14/2006 4:44 PM ET
                  By Mike Bauman

Ironic, isn't it? Just days after the International Olympic Committee gave baseball the boot, American baseball unveiled the finest team it has ever fielded for international competition.
                  The World Baseball Classic is the baseball Olympics now. It promises to be a far more compelling competition than Olympic baseball ever was. The best baseball players in the world will be on display, including, for the first time, the best American players.

The United States roster was announced Tuesday. It is of a quality suitable to the inaugural classic. It says something about the internationalization of the sport that the team with the most mega-stars per capita may well be from the Dominican Republic. But the US team has no weaknesses visible to the naked eye.

Pitching, defense, speed, hitting for average, hitting for power -- it's a five-tool team. Roger Clemens, Jake Peavy, Dontrelle Willis, C.C. Sabathia among the starters; Chad Cordero, Brad Lidge, Joe Nathan, Huston Street, Billy Wagner among the relievers. Fourteen of the 30 players on the US roster are pitchers. This is probably the deepest bullpen in the history of the game.

Tons of accomplished hitting and defense in the infield, with Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, Derrek Lee, Mark Teixeira, Chase Utley and Michael Young.

Plenty of options for hitting and/or defense in the outfield with Ken Griffey, Jr., Johnny Damon, Vernon Wells, Randy Winn, Jeff Francoeur, and Matt Holliday.

And a three-deep set of accomplished catchers: Jason Varitek, Brian Schneider and Michael Barrett.

The problem for Buck Martinez, manager of the US squad, will not be finding adequate talent. It will be finding innings for all of the talent. This will turn out to be more a situation than a problem.

"It's a pretty accomplished, pretty talented roster," Martinez said Tuesday in a conference call with reporters. "This is our best foot forward with an opportunity to win this tournament."

Martinez said it was unfortunate that he could not find a way to name all 52 candidates to the US roster. The first US team in the World Classic reminds you of the All-Star Game or the Hall of Fame in that way; more deserving players than places for deserving players.

We all wonder what this tournament will mean for baseball. The real answer can't come until March. But one thing is clear: The IOC's decision to remove baseball from the Olympics serves not to diminish international baseball as much as it focuses increased attention on the Classic.

Baseball in the Olympics did not have a long history. It had only been a medal sport since 1992. Had baseball continued in the Olympics, the World Baseball Classic might have been seen as another international baseball competition. Now, it is the international baseball competition.

But this is not going to be the same situation that occurred at the 1992 Summer Games when US basketball, unhappy about losing with collegians in previous Olympics, unveiled the "Dream Team," a gathering of National Basketball Association stars. The 1992 Olympic tournament was a walkover for that group. This USA baseball team will encounter a much higher level of competition in the inaugural World Baseball Classic. And that again is a reflection of a game that has already transcended its origins and has gone international.

The US team will obviously be one of the favorites in the Classic, but there is significant star power elsewhere among the 16 nations in the tournament. The single thing to note about the US roster is that it is clearly good enough to represent the game's birthplace.

"The one thing I am most proud about is the character of the guys on this 30-man roster," Martinez said. "They have stepped up for their country."

Peavy, who has been selected by Martinez to start the opening game of the first round for the US, disputed the notion that players from other countries might care more about this event than the American players.

"I can tell you this right now," Peavy said in the conference call, "when we go out on that field, and you've got your country's name on your chest, it's going on be on. We're going to want to win this thing."

That would be the ideal American ending for baseball's first World Classic. No, it will not be the Olympics. It will be better than the Olympics. The first clue in that direction is the level of talent of the players on the first World Baseball Classic roster for the USA.

Comment

Sabathia and Wagner are out

C.C. Sabathia and Billy Wagner have pulled out of the WBC, and were formally replaced by Al Leiter "fluid" and Gary Majewski.

The US team goal has been officially downgraded to merely looking good in the uniforms.

Comment

Team USA already jelling
                      All-Star group comes together in U.S. squad's first workout

http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/...t=.jsp&sid=wbc

Comment

U.S. notes: Selig wishes team well
                        Commissioner meets with players before Sunday's game
                        By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

PHOENIX -- Before Team USA went out and even took a pitch in live action on Sunday, Commissioner Bud Selig visited the tight little U.S. cubbyhole of a clubhouse at Scottsdale Stadium and gave the 30 players his well-wishes for the upcoming World Baseball Classic.
                        "It was interesting," Selig said when he visited the press box during the early innings of what turned out to be a 12-7 U.S. tuneup win over the San Francisco Giants. "I went down today because I just want to thank them. But I guess what I really wanted to say is how much this meant to me and to a lot of other people. I wish you could have heard their responses. It was just tremendous."

Many of the players are representing the U.S. for the first time in international competition. Matt Holliday was a member of the 2003 Olympic team that lost a qualifier to Mexico in Panama City. Michael Young, Dontrelle Willis, Roger Clemens, Jake Peavy and Vernon Wells all played for the Major League Baseball All-Star team that toured Japan in 2004. Derrek Lee made that trip in 2002.

Chipper Jones, whose third-inning two-run homer on Sunday was the first big blast for the U.S. in the tournament, said he has been waiting his entire career to put on a Team USA uniform.

"They didn't have baseball in the Olympics really when I was coming up," Jones said. "To me, this is a thrill of a lifetime."

Baseball didn't become a medal sport in the Olympics until 1992, and Major League-affiliated players didn't start playing for Team USA until the 1999 qualifying games in Winnipeg. The U.S. won the gold medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Australia, with a team that included such future stars as Roy Oswalt, Ben Sheets and Brad Wilkerson.

Selig said he was an ardent U.S. rooter on Sunday, but that he would remain neutral for the remainder of the tournament.

"I don't mind telling you that I'm not going to forget this day for a long time," Selig said.

Second-round matchups: With Korea defeating Japan to win Pool A, the second round has already begun to shake out. Assuming that the U.S. wins one of the top two spots in Pool B play this week, Team USA manager Buck Martinez already knows which team the U.S. will play on March 12 at Anaheim's Angel Stadium, if it gets that far. Finish first in Arizona and the U.S. will play top-seeded Korea. Finish second and the Americans will play Japan, the surprising runner-up this weekend in Tokyo Dome.

"We knew Korea was going to be a tough team," Martinez said. "Chan Ho [Park] is throwing much better and Jae Seo is throwing much better. We know they're a challenge. But we think if Jake Peavy, Dontrelle Willis and Roger Clemens pitch like Peavy, Dontrelle and Roger, we'll be in good shape."

Stars and stripes: Chase Utley was the only U.S. player to go the extended 10 innings on Sunday and he had a 5-for-5 day, with a two-run homer and four singles. "I guess it's all downhill from here," he joked. Asked if he realized that he knew he was working on a perfect day at the plate, Utley said: "I didn't have to. The guys on the bench kept reminding me.". ... Martinez said at least one of his middle infielders is probably going to have to play the entire game each day. "I spoke to Chase about playing nine innings," Martinez said. "Later on I apologized. I said, 'Chase, I lied to you. You're going to have to play 10.' And he had a great day.". ... Al Leiter, the left-hander who was a late add to the team when C.C. Sabathia dropped out, did not. He came on in the third inning after Clemens left with a 6-0 lead and allowed four runs on five hits in his one inning of work. The U.S. eventually let the entire lead slip away. "I think it was just a matter of knocking some of the rust off," Martinez said. Leiter is slated to back up Willis in Game 2 of the series on Wednesday against Canada. ... Willie Mays visited with some of the U.S. players before the game and said he would definitely have played in the World Baseball Classic if it occurred in his day. Derek Jeter added that he was thrilled to meet Mays. "He asked to take a picture with me," Jeter said. "Willie Mays? That was a little different."

Comment

Uh oh...

(DON'T READ THIS OF YOU TIVOED OR DVRED THE US-CANADA GAME)

....the US is getting torched by Canada.

Comment

...and then along comes Tek to hit a grand salami, which by the way is the United State's secret weapon.

Comment

'Tek is awesome, but CANADA IS STILL BETTER! (especially adam stern)

Comment

Originally posted by MapleSyrupMan
                                'Tek is awesome, but CANADA IS STILL BETTER! (especially adam stern)
                                This is the only real game in the first round for the US, more of a victory needed Canada than for the US. The real test was whether the US could be Mexico to earn a spot in the next round, and the US did that yesterday.
                                Best posts ever:
                                Originally posted by nymdan
                                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X