The Team USA Thread for the WBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efin98
    This is the only real game in the first round for the US, more of a victory needed Canada than for the US. The real test was whether the US could be Mexico to earn a spot in the next round, and the US did that yesterday.
    Now wouldn't it be funny if South Africa beat the US tomorrow AND Canada beat Mexico AND Mexico beat South Africa tonight? Then the standings would look like this

Canada 3-0 (advances)
    US 1-2
    Mexico 1-2
    South Africa 1-2

Depending on the scores, we might hypothetically see South Africa, high school junior and all, in the quarterfinals.

Comment

Originally posted by MapleSyrupMan
      Now wouldn't it be funny if South Africa beat the US tomorrow AND Canada beat Mexico AND Mexico beat South Africa tonight? Then the standings would look like this

Canada 3-0 (advances)
      US 1-2
      Mexico 1-2
      South Africa 1-2

Depending on the scores, we might hypothetically see South Africa, high school junior and all, in the quarterfinals.
      Don't let your syrup get ahead of you there, South Africa is a good team but they are nowhere near the caliber that the US is at. It's not our fault Candada had a tough time beating them.
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Don't let your syrup get ahead of you there, South Africa is a good team but they are nowhere near the caliber that the US is at. It's not our fault Canada had a tough time beating them.
        Remember, this is all hypothetical. I know there is no way that South Africa will win, although it would definitely be interesting if they did.

Comment

lol interesting is putting it mildly, i would not be suprised if the U.S. team was taken and publicly executed for losing back to back games to teams they easily should have beat.
          If a women had 2 choose between saving a baby and catching a fly ball, she would choose the baby without even considering if there are men on base.
          Some people think baseball is a matter of life and death, but i can assure you, its much more important than that.

Comment

Originally posted by mikethegreat8899
            lol interesting is putting it mildly, i would not be suprised if the U.S. team was taken and publicly executed for losing back to back games to teams they easily should have beat.
            No, that's what Cuba will do.
            Best posts ever:

Comment

Where are you USA fans?

Many of you have given your opinions about Cuban baseball which many times have been compared to A ball.

Despite Cuba not being able to compete against the best in the world due to our political situation, we have shown we can compete. Our players do not see MLB even on TV. There is no ESPN in Cuba.

The Cuban team has an average age of 24 years. Specially, our pitchers are very young and some seem scared.

Warning: if some of you are going to critize other teams you better start with your own specially after the performance they have displayed so far in this Classic.

I only see silence from many of you. Is USA baseball vastly overrated?????

You are still in it because a controversial call from an umpire. h
              Last edited by Cubano100%; 03-14-2006, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubano100%
                Where are you USA fans?

Many of you have given your opinions about Cuban baseball which many times have been compared to A ball.

Despite Cuba not being able to compete against the best in the world due to our political situation, we have shown we can compete. Our players do not see MLB even on TV. There is no ESPN in Cuba.

The Cuban team has an average age of 24 years. Specially, our pitchers are very young and some seem scared.
                They showed they can compete on the international level with the best of the best. They don't need pages of compliments, their box scores tell the story.

Warning: if some of you are going to critize other teams you better start with your own specially after the performance they have displayed so far in this Classic.
                See other threads. Simple as that.

See other threads. Vast majority of content is there.
                Best posts ever:

Comment

If anyone don't feel like reading anythig about Threads on Cuban baseball and Cuban players don't read them. Many of you around the world have expressed your gratitute to me personally about the info I post. Believe me, it is a lot of work for me. The only reason I do this is to inform the world about who the Cuban players are because there is so little info about them.
                  Last edited by Cubano100%; 03-15-2006, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Bonds still could join Team USA!!

http://ww2.worldbaseballclassic.com/...t=.jsp&sid=wbc

Comment

efin98 and Cubano100%:

It seems to me that both of you two have some issues with one another. Would you two care to handle this privately via PM? If not, my only advice is for both of you two to stay away from one another and try not replying to questions posed openly to "all/everyone" by one another.

efin, I've already asked Cubano privately to stay away from yourself and I appreciate his co-operation on that part. It's up to you to do the same. If not, I'll have to contact you privately in the future.

Your choice.

-Matt
                      Where are you USA fans?

They showed they can compete on the international level with the best of the best. They don't need pages of compliments, their box scores tell the story.
                      See other threads. Simple as that.
                      See other threads. Vast majority of content is there.
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

If anyone don't feel like reading anythig about Threads on Cuban baseball and Cuban players don't read them. Many of you around the world have expressed your gratitute to me personally about the info I post. Believe me, it is a lot of work for me. The only reason I do this is to inform the world about who the Cuban players are because there is so little info about them.
                        Your efforts are appreciated.

Sometimes they're also discussed under Current Events, which many participants happen to like discussing everything and anything about baseball (WBC included). If I see anything there which may benefit from your help, I'll PM yourself and/or Agente Libre.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Andruw
                          He was supposed to be one of the 25 guys out there playing, so he would be an obvious choice to add to the roster in the next round. I don't think he will actually join the team, and if he does join I think it may do alot of harm to the team. The batting order will have to be shifted and someone will end up being the odd man out. It could also harm the team chemistry that is growing, especially if Bonds does something spectacular to win the game for Team USA...
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

So this is basically the pickle that USA is in:

A Japan loss/tie + USA win = USA advances

A Japan win that takes 9 innings and Japan scores less than 7 runs = USA eiliminated (that can be confusing, though)

A Japan loss/tie + USA loss/tie = Japan might advance (via tiebreaker, I'm sure of it)

A Japan win + USA win = (???)

A Japan loss + USA tie = USA advances
                            ----

Some of those scenarios are very unlikely to happen, though. I'm just throwing them all out.
                            Last edited by Knick9; 03-15-2006, 10:00 PM.
                            My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

The scenarios are now updated. Japan has lost, so it has gotten at least alittle more easier for USA to advance.

A Japan loss + USA win or tie = USA advances

A Japan loss + USA loss = Japan might still advance (via tiebreaker, I'm sure of it)

EDIT: I completely forgot about Mexico. If they beat USA, they might be involved in the tiebreakers somehow. Roger Clemens is on the mound and you know that he's going to bring it.
                              Last edited by Knick9; 03-15-2006, 10:06 PM.
                              My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Originally posted by Knick9
                                The scenarios are now updated. Japan has lost, so it has gotten at least alittle more easier for USA to advance.

A Japan loss + USA win or tie = USA advances

A Japan loss + USA loss = Japan might still advance (via tiebreaker, I'm sure of it)

EDIT: I completely forgot about Mexico. If they beat USA, they might be involved in the tiebreakers somehow. Roger Clemens is on the mound and you know that he's going to bring it.
                                Here's the official scenarios:

U.S. advances if:
                                It defeats Mexico
                                It loses to Mexico, allowing 1 run in a regulation game (8 innings in the field)
                                It loses to Mexico, but does not allow a 2nd run until after it has played 8 2/3 innings in the field
                                It loses to Mexico, but does not allow a 3rd run until after it has played 12 1/3 innings in the field
                                It ties with Mexico, allowing 3 runs in 14 innings
                                Japan advances if:
                                The U.S. loses to Mexico, and allows 2 runs or more before it has played 8 2/3 innings in the field
                                The U.S. loses to Mexico, and allows 3 runs or more before it has played 12 1/3 innings in the field
                                Mexico advances if:
                                It defeats the U.S., 3-0, in 13 innings
                                Last edited by efin98; 03-16-2006, 04:35 AM.
                                Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X