Australia beat Chinese Taipei 11-10 in a thriller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia beat Chinese Taipei 11-10 in a thriller

Tom Brice (White Sox) hits for the cycle & Justin Huber goes 2-4, including a 400 foot HR

http://www.baseball.com.au/defau...Page=22609

Chinese taipei hit back the following night to win 2 -1 and hold Australia to a pretty defensive night.

These games were being held in Geelong (one hour from Melbourne) where I grew up. If only I still lived there I would have liked to have attended them.

:gt
    Last edited by snowy73; 02-09-2006, 02:16 PM. Reason: correct web address

A very interesting lead up to the WBC for both Australia and Chinese Taipei. Snowy what are the baseball parks like in Vic, I see the next game is at Altona.
    "A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz." ~Humphrey Bogart

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Victorian baseball grounds

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
      A very interesting lead up to the WBC for both Australia and Chinese Taipei. Snowy what are the baseball parks like in Vic, I see the next game is at Altona.
      The Geelong complex is very new (maybe 3 years), see the web link. I never had the opportunity to play there but from looking at it driving past it looks great, 5 diamonds; 3 newer than the others but the whole place is only 5 yrs old. It is a massive improvement on the old Geelong facilities, Geelong also host an academy there with support form the Mariners

http://www.baseballgeelong.org.au/index.htm

Altona has been around since the ABL days in the 1990's, it is on the outer western suburbs of Melbourne as you drive towards Werribee and Geelong. It is too far from housing shops etc and very windy. The wind is either behind the pitcher or behind the hitter.

It used to be the home of the Melbourne Monarchs and the state baseball and softball team still train there. I believe Altone has an astroturf infield and grass outfield.

I spoke to Brett Pickett from the Aus Baseball federation at the Claxton Shield and he said Geelong was one of the three possible venues for the Claxton Shield to be held along with Sydney and Perth due to the facilities.

Comment

Thanks Snowy. Many years ago I had friends who lived at Altona North.

According to the match report game 6 at Altona was a packed house - about how many does that represent?

While at work today I had a quick chat to a guy who plays in our local competition. We have a summer and a winter comp. The summer comp consists of 4 teams! They play on local fields and the spectators are basically family and friends. I haven't been to any games because I have been working weekends, or tied up with my surf life saving/commentating committments, but I want to try to catch a game or two at one of the nearby fields.

No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference. ~Tommy Lasorda

Comment

Altona Stadium

Originally posted by DownUnderDodger
          Thanks Snowy. Many years ago I had friends who lived at Altona North.

According to the match report game 6 at Altona was a packed house - about how many does that represent?
          I believe the Altona ground only holds 1000 or so maybe 2000 tops, its biggest problems are location and the wind is an issue for players.

Good luck getting to games, most of the leagues below the major league Sydney competition are only attended by family/partners because the standard can be poor.

Are you entering a fantasy baseball league this year (Yahoo/Sporting News etc)? They are good fun to pit your baseball knowledge against others.

Comment

Originally posted by snowy73
            Good luck getting to games, most of the leagues below the major league Sydney competition are only attended by family/partners because the standard can be poor..
            I watched a couple of games at Petersham Park when I lived in Marrickville (Sydney) and they were basically attended by family & friends, and they were Sydney Summer comp games.
            Originally posted by snowy73
            Are you entering a fantasy baseball league this year (Yahoo/Sporting News etc)? They are good fun to pit your baseball knowledge against others.
            I hadn't given it any thought, do you have some links?

Comment

Re : fantasy baseball

See the Fantasy baseball forum http://baseball-fever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Or http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X