No announcement yet.

Why Domincan players are so arrogant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hellborn: I once read a comment from Clemente about calling himself the best ML baseball player >>>

"latin pride" is not a myth.
    and neither is "latin lover."
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn
      Thanks for the comments, TS. You make me think that I might have understood Clemente's point reasonably well. You'd think that writers who cover MLB and Latin players regularly would get this!
      No Problem.
      Oh and I meant that you would have a hard time finding "I'm the Best" type of qoutes in that player's country's papers.

It really isn't even news worthy....but it is here in the US.
      "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks
        Wait so Alou, Ortiz, and Perez make comments about winning this thing and that makes them arrogant?

I don't see the post where Texiera and Damon said they were gonna win on here? Why aren't the Americans claimed as 'Arrogant' also?

I don't believe the Dominicans to be arrogant but confident.
        What pitcher would want to see Soriano, Tejada, Pujols, Ramirez, Ortiz, Vladimir, Aramis all in a row?

But lets be honest here...on paper....the Dominican team is matched by no one else. But 'On Paper' doesn't win games as the Yanks have repeatedly proved.
        I don't believe that's what's being discussed in this post. I haven't seen it, but if Teixeira and Damon have indeed made those comments I'd bet that most of the people on here would think they are arrogant, too.

I will really like seeing Roger Clemens striking out that "best on paper" lineup to give the United States of America the first World Baseball Classic title.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by giantsalltheway16
          I don't believe that's what's being discussed in this post. I haven't seen it, but if Teixeira and Damon have indeed made those comments I'd bet that most of the people on here would think they are arrogant, too.

I will really like seeing Roger Clemens striking out that "best on paper" lineup to give the United States of America the first World Baseball Classic title.
          Thanks for pointing it out. IMO, when someone or some team believe they are going to win a game or a series...that doesn't necessarily make them 'arrogant', but confident. If Tom Brady were to say his Pats are going to win...does that make him arrogant? I don't think so. Now when Barry Bonds stands up on a podium and says that the media is out to get him but he doesn't care he's going to break that fat Babe Ruth hero's record, now that's arrogance.

Well I dunno about the Rocket doing all of that K'ing.
          He could get one or two...but I seriously doubt anything more.

Especially after that wonderful performance in the All-Star in '04 against AL hitting. And that 'only' including Manny and Sori and Vlad...imagine adding Tejada, Pujols, Ortiz and Aramis.
          Last edited by TonyStarks; 02-16-2006, 05:00 PM.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

The Dominican team who many feel have the best lineup is loaded with power hitters only. Soriano is not a true leadoof hitter because he strikeouts to much. Tejada in my opinion is not my typical second hitter in the order.

I have discussed this with Licey Fan that if everybody is healthy, this would be my Dominican lineup:

1. Furcal
            2. Castillo
            3. Pujols
            4. Ortiz
            5. Ramirez
            6. Guerrero
            7. A. Ramirez
            8. Catcher
            9. Taveras

Now we all know that Furcal is not going so maybe Taveras o Castillo can hit leadoff.

The Great Yankees run in the 1990s had Chuck Knoublack at the top with Jeter Second.
            The Marlins had Pierre and Castillo.
            The White Sox had Podsecnik.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubano100%
              The Dominican team who many feel have the best lineup is loaded with power hitters only. Soriano is not a true leadoof hitter because he strikeouts to much. Tejada in my opinion is not my typical second hitter in the order.

I have discussed this with Licey Fan that if everybody is healthy, this would be my Dominican lineup:

1. Furcal
              2. Castillo
              3. Pujols
              4. Ortiz
              5. Ramirez
              6. Guerrero
              7. A. Ramirez
              8. Catcher
              9. Taveras

Now we all know that Furcal is not going so maybe Taveras o Castillo can hit leadoff.

The Great Yankees run in the 1990s had Chuck Knoublack at the top with Jeter Second.
              The Marlins had Pierre and Castillo.
              The White Sox had Podsecnik.
              Sori did a pretty good job for the Yanks during his reign as the leadoff.

As for Tejada, your right Miggy isn't a good option as a 2nd Bat but where else can you stick him in the lineup? He's only in the 2nd slot by default not because thats where he's best.

This might sound crazy to some...but I wouldn't mind seeing this lineup:

Vladimir - RF
              Castillo - 2B
              Pujols - 1B
              Papi - DH
              ManRam - LF
              Tejada - SS
              Ramirez - 3B
              Martinez - C
              Tavares - CF

Finally as for your theory that there are only power hitters in this lineup is not totally accurate.

I do not consider Pujols a "power-hitter" per se. He's always had high average and does not strike out. Same for Manny, he's a Great Hitter..not just a "power-hitter". Castillo, Tavares would never be confused for power hitters either. So I'm going to have to disagree with your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyStarks
                Sori did a pretty good job for the Yanks during his reign as the leadoff.

As for Tejada, your right Miggy isn't a good option as a 2nd Bat but where else can you stick him in the lineup? He's only in the 2nd slot by default not because thats where he's best.

This might sound crazy to some...but I wouldn't mind seeing this lineup:

Vladimir - RF
                Castillo - 2B
                Pujols - 1B
                Papi - DH
                ManRam - LF
                Tejada - SS
                Ramirez - 3B
                Martinez - C
                Tavares - CF

Finally as for your theory that there are only power hitters in this lineup is not totally accurate.

I do not consider Pujols a "power-hitter" per se. He's always had high average and does not strike out. Same for Manny, he's a Great Hitter..not just a "power-hitter". Castillo, Tavares would never be confused for power hitters either. So I'm going to have to disagree with your comment.

Why did the Yanks trade Soriano?

Wasn't it because he strikeout a lot? Did you forget the playoff where he did not do anything?

The lineup the way it is now only have two contact hitters with speed. Taveras is very young so he may be an unknown.

As for Pujols, Ortiz, Manny and Guerrero, they are fine in those spots.

You keep Soriano and I keep Furcal and Castillo in my team. How is that?

Comment

Fulcal is not playing, he will be replaced by Jose Reyes :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by Cubano100%
                    Why did the Yanks trade Soriano?

Wasn't it because he strikeout a lot? Did you forget the playoff where he did not do anything?

The lineup the way it is now only have two contact hitters with speed. Taveras is very young so he may be an unknown.

As for Pujols, Ortiz, Manny and Guerrero, they are fine in those spots.

You keep Soriano and I keep Furcal and Castillo in my team. How is that?
                    They traded Soriano for arguably the Best player in the game!
                    Soriano had a bad playoff series...but hasn't Bernie Williams had plenty of those? Even Derek Jeter has had them! It was public pressure and perception that made the Yanks trade Soriano. Besides trading him for ARod wasn't that bad of a deal.

You make it sound like he was traded for Luis Polonia or Rafael Santana or something.

As for me keeping Sori and you taking Raffy and Luis, I never said anything of the sort...you saw my lineup card.
                    I was only trying to show you that other side of the story.

Con calma primo.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X